SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dementieva

2012 Best Blooms from Houston - Round 1

dementieva
12 years ago

For everyone's enjoyment, here are the best 2012 bloom photos from most of the daylilies that have bloomed in my Houston garden so far. More to come after the next batch of buds.

BODACIOUS BITE - Not great bud counts, but really nice flowers that open early and fully every time.

{{gwi:693625}}

BOLD MOVE - Acclimated quickly (planted 2010) and has pretty excellent bud counts this year, but all the buds are really close together, so they get in each other's way.

{{gwi:693628}}

DARK REFLECTION - Also acclimated quickly. I think the original plant I received in 2010 had 7 fans, so that helped. Best branch spacing of my plants so far.

{{gwi:693631}}

DOUBLE DOWN - First plant to bloom this spring. Most of the blooms are either partially double like this (I think of it as a flower with a tongue) or single so far. Early/chilly opener.

{{gwi:693633}}

MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE - I had to get this after seeing how much everyone on the forum loved it. I can see why -- every bloom opens perfectly.

{{gwi:693635}}

MISSISSIPPI BLUES - Doing great in its first spring.

{{gwi:693637}}

NEW PARADIGM - I'm not sure what to think of this one. It was the rustiest plant at the beginning of the year. The pattern is different from day to day, and a couple times it has partially doubled. This picture is the one that looked most like it's supposed to look. It opens early/chilly.

{{gwi:693639}}

RED CHILE RENDEZVOUS - Another one that has had more than average rust, but I've seen 5 or 6 scapes so far on a 2-fan plant since I planted it in October!

{{gwi:693641}}

RED RAMPAGE - Big funny red flowers. One of them broke a petal in the wind yesterday. To me, the bloom is THIN MAN in a different shaped flower (see below).

{{gwi:693643}}

RENEGADE LADY - It had some funny stuff going on with the edges, but it seems to have sorted itself out. The boldly messy red eye is wonderful! Early opener.

{{gwi:693645}}

SCREEN PATTERN - Very cool looking flower. It didn't bloom last year, but it's making up for it now.

{{gwi:693647}}

SERGEANT MAJOR - Big broad spider. Sometimes the sepals are more straight, and sometimes they are all curled up like this.

{{gwi:693648}}

THIN MAN - Sometimes the petals hang like it just doesn't give a damn. The bloom in this photo made a partial effort. Performing very well, and opens earlier in the morning than my other spidery ones. The only problem is it's planted right next to the garage, so my car mirror bumps almost every bloom!

{{gwi:693650}}

DARK REFLECTION and MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE - And some $3 garden mums.

{{gwi:693652}}

WITCHES WINK, MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE, NEW PARADIGM - This is one of NEW PARADIGM's weird looking blooms. WITCHES WINK opens early and chilly and every bloom is good. DW said it looks like the pine cone snuck itself into the picture.

{{gwi:693654}}

TIC TAC TOE (foreground) and other stuff in the front garden - TIC TAC TOE opens early and chilly, very nice every time. Every scape is straight vertical and exactly the same height. Yeah, there are a lot of weeds, but there are also a lot of flowers. :)

{{gwi:693656}}

SKINWALKER and FREE WHEELIN' - SKINWALKER is a three-dimensional wonder, and it acclimated very quickly. FREE WHEELIN' opens a big perfect flower every time, and you can see it from way down the street.

{{gwi:693658}}

Spider buds - SKINWALKER, FREE WHEELIN', and SERGEANT MAJOR buds, all leaning out in a row to escape the shade.

{{gwi:693659}}

Nate

Comments (22)