SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

what smells so good in your garden?

Nell Jean
17 years ago

Last month it was jonquilla daffodils; you could stand among them and they smelled so sweet. This month in that area the sweet peas have finally started blooming.

As I walked past the azaleas, which have a very faint fragrance, expecting to come upon the heady lemon scent of tea olive (osmanthus fragrans), I caught a fruity aroma. What! Calycanthus, old time sweet shrubs! They tend to sucker and every little bush has those dark brown flowers that children used to tie in the corner of a handkerchief and carry to school to enjoy the scent.

The ruins bed has Laura Bush petunias, a species type that smells spicy at night, coupled with the sweet fragrance of nicotiana.

Sadly, the mock orange (philadelphus) that is coming into bloom is a cultivar without the least scent.

What makes your garden fragrant?

Nell

Comments (41)

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Believe it or not, sycamore trees! They have an intense musky smell that I never knew about until I grew them. Makes me want to put them all over :-)

• homenovice
    17 years ago

Mmmmm - love that sweet olive!

However, right now, the most fragrant thing in my garden is the orange tree with its blossoms popping open. The jasmine hasn't started yet, rose buds are still fattening up (for the most part), and sweetpeas are barely opening, but the citrus blooms are stealing the show right now.

Anne

• Related Discussions

That smells so good

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for the warm welcome! There are only about 4,500 people that live here, I like hearing from people out in the "real world." =-) I grew up in Chicago & have never had luck growing a garden, but the conditions here are much better so I hope I left my brown thumb back in the states. Blue ocean, yes indeed. Lots of tropical plants. Lots of tourists on vacation too. I'm currently working in a shop & we never get a lot of traffic in here. I would have shared a photo of the ocean, but haven't been to it yet today, so here's a photo of the bananas that are growing in the yard of the house we're renting. I hope they ripen soon! We do have a kitty, well... now I guess I have to say we "share" a kitty. A little tabby started coming around & I started feeding it, and he started coming in the house, and I started buying him toys & now he stays a lot of the time. I thought he was a stray (there are many here), but we had dinner with the neighbors the other night & they were "missing" a kitty, and yup - that's the one. We all laughed. I guess he likes the food I serve better. So now we get him in the evenings, but make sure he's out during the day to visit his old folks.
    ...See More

What Smells so Good in Your Garden Part II

Q

Comments (31)
    I just have to mention this shrub, some of you might already be growing it. I have a mock orange, Philadelphus "Belle Etoile" planted below my kitchen window, the first few flowers have just started to open. This mock orange orange is HIGHLY FRAGRANT, it has a single white flower with a maroon blotch. On a warm summer evening the fragrance will fill the garden. When the window is open it fills my kitchen with it's lovely sweet fragrance. This is a very easy shrub to grow, if you have a spot for it I'm sure you'll love it. Annette
    ...See More

What's the sweetest smell in your garden right now?

Q

Comments (33)
    Here it's datura. The fragrance is wonderful at sundown. The lady of the night (cestrum nocturnum) is late this year, so no flowers yet. When it blooms it will fill the air with fragrance as well. My neighbours across the street used to have a lady of the night that had attained tree like proportions and perfumed the whole street at this time of the year. Unfortunately they ripped it off this past Spring. I miss the fragrance floating on the street when I get home from work. Eduarda
    ...See More

My house smells oh so good ...

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you all! I hope you enjoy your peaches and garden goodies. I had some extra cut up peaches that wouldn't fit into the baking dishes, so I let them 'juice up' as my grandmother used to say, and after supper (and grass mowing because it didn't rain again today!) I made 3 pints of chunky peach butter. I love to hear that popping sound when the jars seal.
    ...See More
  • andrea_mike
    17 years ago

Right outside my back door is a mandarin tree in a pot. The smells is wonderfully sweet. mmmm

• debbieca
    17 years ago

In my garden, the wintersweet starts in late November, then the violets come along in December. By the time they are finished up, the lilacs and roses begin in March. Just as the lilacs are finishing, now, the oranges are blooming and the peonies are almost ready. By the time they finish the star jasmine will be blooming. But by June, I can't think of anything fragrant, other than more roses. Well, the echinacea does have some scent as does the phlox, and I did plant a heliotrope this year. Oh, the oriental lilies bloom late June. And the fallen rotting plums have their own sweet scent : ) I got some more nicotiana started, maybe it will be scented. The one I have now is not. So what is scented late summer into fall?

• DYH
    17 years ago

My winter daphne is just finishing up. Wonderful!
    The osmanthus fragrans is blooming.
    My daffs are fragrant, but I can't remember the variety.
    The cottage pinks just starting blooming and are very fragrant.
    Our jasmine is blooming.

On deck to bloom is the sweet bay magnolia and itea.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

The wisteria, roses, crimson clover and sweetpeas. The critters are also enjoying the scents. The bee's are making a come back and I saw a huge Tiger Swallowtail and a few Skippers. Lady bugs are everywhere.

This is the prettiest Spring I've ever seen.

On the down side my maples have been attacked by scale. First time I've ever experienced scale. Yucky things.

Edna

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Hyacinths here. They and a few daff's are the only things blooming right now.

The next fragrant thing I believe will be my white bearded iris. I'm looking forward to that one since the scent really carries.

• flowerchild5
    17 years ago

winter daphne here also. it's right out the back door and every time I open it, it's a wave of fragrance. in the summer is a blue buddleia that smells up our whole acre 1/2. it's awesome. plus. the oriental lilies. roses. peonies. i can't wait!!!!

• tndaisy
    17 years ago

Bath's Pinks! 'Firewitch' dianthus, less so...

• Steveningen
    17 years ago

The blend of wisteria and jasmine in the back yard is enough to make you feel drunk. I've got a lot of stock just beginning to bloom too. One of my absolute favorite scents in the garden. There are tons of carnation just about to open. Oh the aroma! I can't wait. Double Delight rose just opened and there are dozens of blooms on Don Juan.

Edna - I couldn't agree more. This has been a beautiful spring for us, hasn't it?

Steven

• party_music50
    17 years ago

What smells good in my garden *now*? the smell of dirt! Most of my garden is still covered in snow.

Once it starts growing, I'll have lots of scented flowers -- mostly in spring (well... whatever constitutes spring for us here) and early summer.

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

Lilac! It is so fragrant - I can smell it as I open the door in a morning. Mr.Lincoln hybrid tea rose, and a lemon tree I recently got. Smells like Haven...

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Roses, jasmine, angel's trumpets, lavender, basil, rosemary, golden dew drops, Mexican oregano, and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

I would love to smell what's blooming in each of your gardens, even the dirt, as it has it's own rich smell.

Happy Gardening all ~ FlowerLady

• jakkom
    17 years ago

One of the downsides of living in a cooler coastal climate is that it retards detection of fragrance. I can smell the scents much better when the weather becomes warmer. I have a fragrant dwarf rhodie, for instance, that hardly had any scent when I picked it in the morning, but inside the house at a nice 68 degrees, it filled the room with its sweet scent, very similar to Easter lilies.

Others are:
    Cytisus
    Roses
    unknown Bearded Iris that smells like Juicy Fruit chewing gum!
    Freesias

• armyyife
    17 years ago

Well right now the only thing I have blooming is salvia and is not fragrant. I have some ginger lilies that my friend gave and she said they smell heavenly but I think they bloom in the summer. I don't think I really have anything that smells good at least from a distance anyway. I used to have a tea olive and a confederate jasmine at my old house and man what a sweet heavenly smell!

I also have not in my yard but wisteria grows wild here and it perfumes the air. To me it's the closest thing to the lilacs I remember as a kid.

• SandL
    17 years ago

For me it would have to be my Lilac bush. It seems as if everyone in our neighborhood has one or two Lilac bushes in thier yards. The whole neighborhood starts to smell of Lilacs when the wind is just right. The last two days we've been having gusts up to 40 mph so most of the scents have been swept away.

Here in Kansas the big show of scented flowers doesn't kick in until mid-April - or even after. I miss the huge bursts of scent and color during CA's Springtime. In honor of my native state I planted some annual Geraniums this year in bright blue pots. I always remember them being so plentiful in downtown Ventura where I used to hang out. My mom had a Jasmine in her back yard that could knock one out with its fragrance. Alas, I cannot afford to live there so here I shall stay.

Heather

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

Has anyone mentioned herbs? I love the fragrance emerging from my herb garden after a rain storm. A nice mix of sage, oregano, mint, rosemary and thyme. When my kids were younger they used to refer to as the "pizza garden" because the area really did smell like pizza after a good rain.

Right now the Carolina Jessamine flowers have faded, but a few weeks ago they perfumed the entire backyard. My neighbor's honeysuckle which drapes nicely over our shared fence has not yet burst into bloom, but when it does...wow!

Other favorites I have include nicotiana, 4 o'clocks and of course, roses.

What a nice thread, I'm planning on saving it because I would love to add some new fragrances. Top of the list: Tea Olive! I have heard so many wonderful things about this plant.

Marilyn

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

My viburnum will be blooming soon and the scent is just heavenly. Its planted right along the front entrance, so the smell hits you right as you enter the house. I forget the cultivator, but the scent is very strong and sweet.

• treelover
    17 years ago

Sweet Almond Verbena (Aloysia virgata) is starting to bloom, but you have to get close to smell it right now. Later when it's hot & humid, that sweet smell will be all over the garden.

Roses are blooming and the jasmine vine has flower buds on it. They should be opening soon.

Then there's the mosquito repellant that I've had to start using already!

• lorinscott_1
    17 years ago

My roses are opening up and the Double Delights, Mr. Lincoln, Queen Elizabeth smell great....but as another California poster mentioned, scents don't carry so much for us by the beach until it truly warms up. That said, though, my star jasmine is also budding and that'll smell beautiful when fully flowered, and my Zephrine Drouhin climbing rose has several buds on it....wonderfully fragrant rose. My viburnum is forming up flower clusters, too....I just planted it last year, so I'm anxious to see (and smell) it. Ohhh yes, and I've planted some nemesia that smells heavenly, and have some pots with sweet alyssum that smells good, too.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    17 years ago

We're having a cold spell dropping into the 20's at night so things are delayed and possibly damaged this spring. But so far my Yoshino cherry and peach trees are blooming, I hope the freeze won't damage them, and they carry a sweet scent in the air. Then even stronger are my hyacinths and daffies. My clematis montana odorata is getting buds -- it smells like vanilla when blooming! I am still waiting for the Viburnum, mock orange, daphnes, and later the old-fashioned roses and pinks...

• granite
    17 years ago

Korean spice viburnum is the most heavenly scent right now; but the clove pinks and hyacinth are pretty amazing too.

Later it will be lavender, lavender, lavender.

I also love the curry plant, "Pink lemonade" Agastache, bee balm, and lilacs.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

Right now it is orange blossums, pittosporum, jasmine, lilacs, and the Marie Pavie roses. Other roses have stronger fragrance, but MP out perfumes them all with sheer volume of nearly continuous blooms. Best of all, it wafts. Is there a lovelier word in the English language than 'waft'?

Last month it was the winter daphne. I have two planted. If I can figure out where to plant more, I will. From sometime in January until late March, it pumps out the most heavenly scent.

Rosefolly

• gnabonnand
    17 years ago

In my garden the good fragrance is coming from the petunias and the roses. Like Rosefolly mentioned above, my 'Marie Pavie' rose floats its perfect fragrance on the breeze. Also smelling exceptionally good to me right now are 'Gruss an Aachen' and its pink sport, as well as 'Reine des Violettes'.

Randy

• memo3
    17 years ago

It's very early in the season here so nothing is blooming yet, most things are just beginning to emerge from the earth. Right now, close to the house, all I can smell is cedar mulch and the river, It smells fresh and clean.

MeMo

• Annie
    17 years ago

On some balmy days, it's smell of the neighbor's fried chicken! ~ Annie

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

Party_music50,

you mentioned an aroma of the dirt, and I thought of it when I came across this quote today by Monty Don:

"I enjoy digging. Not only does the soil itself have a real scent, but the roots of the plants that have been growing there contribute to the mix, creating something new out of the remnants of last season's garden."

• lynnencfan
    17 years ago

last month it was the Daphne - oh how I love that smell - it is right beside the steps off the screened in porch and just filled the porch and even into the family room on those very warm March days. Now it is the combination of all the different dianthus, pinks, cheddar pinks that are coming into to bloom - just a beautiful spicey mixture and nothing can beat that fresh dirt smell after a spring shower - I love spring.....

Lynne

• rett
    17 years ago

Golden Celebration (rose) and lavendar.

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

Currently wisteria and jasmine - heavenly! When it gets warmer lavender will kick in, as well as the roses - Jude The Obscure, Kathleen Harrop, William Lobb, etc.

I have read in books about fragrance gardens that everyone should plant a rosa primula by the front door. Apparently the smell of the leaves after a rain or a hose shower is fantastic. Does anyone grow rosa primula?

Eduarda

• careytearose
    16 years ago

I recently found a small white flowered clematis that to me smells like white chocolate! It will be planted on a metal trellis on our side yard among climbing roses. Every time I pass near it the smell just grabs ya. I have two blush noisette roses that you can see from our living room window. When I'm at the desk typing on the computer you can smell the blooms wafting in from the open window.

careytearose

• rivers1202
    16 years ago

The honeysuckle growing all over the fence in my backyard smells absolutely wonderful, but I hate the stuff. I've been trying to eradicate it since we bought this house 4 years ago. I can't deny that it smells good, though. During our warm and humid Summer nights, it perfumes our entire yard, front and back. You can smell it from any point on the property.

The monarda growing in my mixed border - the foliage smells yummy! It's a bit of a thug in my garden, but I'm willing to put up with its aggressive nature because it smells so good.

The lavender shrub I have out in my xeric bed smells really good, too, but unless you get near it during the heat of the day, you can't smell it.

Renee

• rivers1202
    16 years ago

Nell ~ my mother has sweet shrub growing along the fence in her backyard. LOTS of it. She started with just one small sapling, which quickly multiplied. Must be the perfect spot for it.
    The flowers really do smell wonderful...a mix of cherry and vanilla, I think.

Renee

• shellva
    16 years ago

My garden isn't smelling yet but give it a few years. I bought Duchess de Brabant, La Reine and Louse Odier this year.

I couldn't help but let them each give me one flower to see and smell them for real. Oh my goodness. Duchess is beyond words...I can't wait till these three are big, healthy, blooming scent machines....

I brought home some petunias the other day. They were putting out a nice scent into the car on the ride home.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Newly opened in my garden are blooms on 'Little Gem' magnolia. Magnolia fragrance is a clean lemony scent that carries on the wind.
    {{gwi:657161}}{{gwi:657162}} Right click to view in a new window

Before I reach the magnolia, I pass 'Rose de Rescht' which also carries. I put 'Reine des Violettes' far away from either of these, in the back yard. I do love catching the fragrance of roses without going close up.

Nell

• jant
    16 years ago

My Juddi and Burkwoodi Viburnums.........all ova the place...I must have 9 of them around the yard. Lori? Wait till you smell this....sheer heaven! Most just popped out yesterday and today.

• party_music50
    16 years ago

I finally have daffodils and tons of hyacinths in bloom!

I love garden scents. The general progression of my strongly-scented plants includes: daffodils, hyacinths, sweet violets, lily of the valley, lilacs, peonies, tons of different old-fashioned bearded iris, rugosa rose, lilies (easter lilies, stargazer, muscadet!, etc.), valerian, honeysuckle, mock orange, dictamnus!, monarda, mints, agastaches, citronella-scented geranium (everyone goes nuts for this -- it's pelargonium cv. citrosa), hostas (guacamole, plantaginea, etc.), and one of my daylilies is scented! (to my surprise :) That's all I can think of at the moment...

I'd love to know of any other late-blooming scented flowers for a cold z5!

• lori_elf z6b MD
    16 years ago

Jant, My viburnums Juddii and Burkwoodii are blooming and smelling wonderful now, it looks like we have the same varities :).

Daphne 'Carole Mackie' beats the viburnum in heavenly scent though.

Edwarda, my Rosa primula is blooming. I can catch a spicy scent on the flowers but never noticed the leaves... will have to check that out if we get some rain.

My clematis montana is in full bloom now too... wonderful!
    For late summer/early fall fragrant bloom you should check out the Sweet Autumn clematis, clematis ternaflora.

• careytearose
    16 years ago

Oh, its the ROSES! A friend from church (we live down one black on the same street) was walking towards our house to get his car after service and he said he could smell them (we currently have 112)half way down the street well before you even see a glimpse of the house. Here is a very recent pic of the front yard you see coming down the street. This pic was taken standing in the next door neighbor's driveway.
    {{gwi:648456}}

Many of the climbing roses here are planted along with honeysuckle, I LOVE the smell, though DH says the best way to trim them would be to get a machete... I just got 6 little heliotrope plants for the children's Secret Garden, to plant around a stone birdbath. I love the honey fragrance! To see more pics of our gardens in our front, back and side yards, and recent landscaping projects, ck out my Picture Trail:

careytearose

Here is a link that might be useful: look at the Landscaping Projects 2007 and Favorite ROSES we grow albums

• coastalsav
    16 years ago

Jasmine, honeysuckle, roses, basil, thyme and rosemary.

Sponsored