SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Lily bulbs to keep the daylilies company

newyorkrita
15 years ago

I have daylily bed sections that are just daylilies but then there are the sections with other things. One of my favorite things to plant near the daylilies are bulb lillies.

Last year I bought about 400 bulb lillies from Van Bourgondien's. I planted them mostly (did have afew leftovers put in some spots in the garden) in two big mass plantings by digging 2 large long trenches, one in the front yard and one in the back that got 4 rows of lilies each. They bloomed and looked so great, I couldn't believe it. I know some people said they had bad luck with this company but I have ordered many times from them and always have been very pleased with great quality.

That was only the start as I plan to put in more lilies in various places but its going to be a multi year project as I just can not plant everything I want to do all in one year. Last year I know I spent lots of bucks and this year again over $400.00. I did save some money because if you spend over $250.00 you get free shipping. I got free shipping last year too and I remember when the order came there were 5 really big boxes.

Only about 178 various bulb lilies this time but mainly more expense types so the cash outlay is gone again. I have only one mass trench planned this time with about 100 blubs or more planned for it. Probably make it a two row deal instead of 4 rows in last years efforts. I can also add more rows if needed another time.

Then there are two garden sections that I planted daylilies in last spring that I wanted to put lily bulbs in between but no time last spring. I will start that plant lily bulbs between the daylilies project this year. Other planned mass trench plantings will have to wait until next year.

I also got some Gladiolus and lots of some new (at least to me) gami glads which are half the height of the big ones.

Comments (51)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor