SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does anyone grow Veilchenblau or Darlow's Enigma roses?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

Another rose question! I wanted to ask it here, as I'm looking for roses to plant in front of my lilac hedge (which is huge) and I plan to mix herbs and other flowers together in front of the roses.

My lilac hedge is 12' tall (in someplaces more like 16') and probably about 100' long. It's the most beautiful "planned" landscape on our property and was planted by my husband's grandparents many decades ago.

It's beautiful when it blooms and there's a huge apple tree in front that usually blooms at the same time (I promise to take pictures) but I want to put some other plants in front of it for more interest in the summer.

Does anyone grow Veilchenblau or Darlow's Enigma? I'm also thinking of putting in some albas, like Great Maiden's Blush and possibly a few damasks...probably Celsiana. Since I'm in zone 4, many roses don't grow as big as they're advertised and the lilacs will break the wind and help protect the roses, which will be on the east side of the hedge.

I want this to be a fragrance garden, so I'm planning to add herbs, flowers, maybe some bulbs. The lilac hedge is a screen for the old farmhouse, so even if I plant a lot in front of it, I can still pick lilacs from the other side. Thank you for any suggestions :)

Comments (13)

Sponsored