SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Alfalfa Meal, Not Pellets

newyorkrita
15 years ago

My local feed store has been out of alfalfa pellets for two weeks just when I wanted to buy them the use on the daylilies. I did this last two springs and I think it worked great.

I prefer to soak them and make the tea, which I did the year before last but last year, having so many roses and daylilies to do, I just tossed the pellets around and waited for the rain to soften them up and work them into the ground.

Well, since the feed store guy told me they might not even get the pellets in next week either, I bought the alfalfa meal. Wanted two bags but they only had one bag of that as well. So I will do the daylilies and it should go around if I go lightly. I guess I can redo when I can get another bag in May. Meantime the roses are on ther own, not enough for everyone so the daylilies get first attention. You can see where my proirities lie.

It rained for the past two days and I did get the Greensand and the fertilizer on both the daylilies and the roses before the rain. You can already see things greening up as the rain was heavy and good timing to soak the fertilizer in.

Since its raining today, I have not opened my bag of meal and have not started putting it around. Hopefully tomorrow. Too bad I could not get the alfalfa on before this drenching rain that I had to go out and do errands in today.

So, I know lots of people recommend the alfalfa pellets but has anyone used the alfalfa meal instead? Thanks!

Comments (5)