SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelisk8s

planning first edible landscape and draining question?

kelisk8s
12 years ago

Hi,

I just moved to a new home that has a very sunny yard! I am trying to plan out an edible garden for my space. I am used to growing things in pots at previous apartments over the years, so I have experience with that, but I need help addressing a water issue that I'm not sure how to deal with. We are the second house from the bottom of a hill. The house at the bottom of the hill (our neighbors) backfilled their property. So now all the water from the surrounding areas end up in our yard and basement. I am planning on putting in raised garden beds on the side of the house that is uphill to us. This is the area that gets the most sun and also ends up receiving the water run off from the hill first. I would like to put some of this water that is sitting in our yard and running into our basement to good use because it seems really wasteful for all this water to be pumped out of our basement into the street all the time. Gardens require a lot of water, so I am hoping with some edibles the roots will be deeper and help fix this problem. Are there any particularly thirsty edibles that could help? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about how to deal with this situation? Does anyone know how high I would have to build raised beds to prevent plants from getting water logged?

Thanks a bunch!

Kelli

Comment (1)

Sponsored