SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redwoodjustin

Dawn Redwood - Dual Leader

RedwoodJustin
10 years ago

Greetings - thank you for contributing to such a useful resource for folks like me.

I have a Dawn Redwood (ogon/goldlrush if that matters). It is about 12 feet tall and it has dual leaders. The trunk comes up about 8 inches before it breaks into two distinct, healthy leaders that are maintaining similar height, width, and vertical growth. I know I need to remedy this.

WHEN should I cut one of the leaders down, like which season or even month is best?

WHAT product should I put on to help seal the wound from infection?

I love this tree and it has sentimental value as well as I planted one for me and one for my folks. I will do whatever is necessary to not lose it.

I thank you in advance for any insight you can provide. I will work on getting a pic for you over the weekend.

This post was edited by RedwoodJustin on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 15:03

Comments (43)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Oh my. So cutting iff one leader will halve the amount if foliage the tree has? Someplace on here I read about "heading cuts" or something like that. The theory was you coule cut one of the dual leaders back half way this year then more next year.

I do not know about proper pruning time but I will volunteer that since it is an important tree you should sanitize your saw or loppers before cutting.

If ya could post a picture or two I am sure folks here would help u pick which one to trim

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

why after 12 feet is this an issue.. other than perhaps you have read too many posts that tell you one is preferred ...

the ONLY TECHNICAL ISSUE.. in dual leaderships.. involves arbs .... and snow load ...

yours isnt an arb ...

and its deciduous .... so snow load is irrelevant...

the ONLY other issue is aesthetics ... and that is your free will ....
    frankly ... if it were 3 feet tall.. i say go for it.. otherwise.. weirder the better .... and ignore it ..

if you can not head my advise ... do it whenever you want... even better if no leaves on it.. and NEVER PAINT ANYTHING ON A TREE ... its not natures way .. and she has been doing this a lot longer than us...

think of it this way .. it goes dormant.... with this root mass to support both .. then while its asleep.. you reduce half of what is above.. it should go bonzo next season ....

personally.. i wouldnt mess with it.. due to its emotional value... there should be no way you can kill this thing.. unless you mess with fate on a treasure. .and the next thing you know.. etc ...

its kismet vs nature ... as clint said: you have to ask yourself one question ... do I feel lucky .. well do ya punk... ???? ....lol ...

ken

ps: in my collection of 500 conifers.. the most noted is a 9 leadered Cham nootka pendula ... [yes i know there is probably a better name for it] ... every conifer expert notices it.. and is stunned... no one points at it and starts giggling.. and wetting themselves.. because it has 8 extra leaders ... so riddle me this batman.. should i go cut off the 8 extra leaders ... because i read it on the intraweb????

• Related Discussions

'White Spot' Dawn Redwood

Q

Comments (2)
    It all depends on what you want it to be, if you want it to stay low, don't prune the bottom branches. If you want it to grow tall, prune the lower branches and remove all but one leader. I've seen fifty year old trees that were twenty foot tall but had a branch-around width of seventy feet. There's a tree at morton arboretum in chicago that has this quality, it's amazing, it looks like a valley oak but it's a dawn redwood.
    ...See More

Gold(en) Dawn Dawn Redwood

Q

Comments (29)
    It's about time GW has zones appearing after our names. I requested they add that as well as soil type a few years back but never heard back from them. Thanks coniflora. For my behalf I had either forgotten a grafted plant kept characteristics (probably slim margins in all cases though, I would have to think) ..easier. Anyway, that's maybe my favorite thing in the world to do. Grafting that is. Dax P.s. And Noki, you pick up the pace real quickly. Just like becoming a BMX racer! And other times, you do have to work with the wood until you're satisfied everything is a go. Some grafts take me 5 minutes each. Those darn ones with the tiny wood are difficult to hold onto as well and that's on top of just the finicky ones in general. Then there's the ones where your blade cuts right through the entire understock! that one tees me off. Then there's the a to the b to c to the d .... you're always adjusting to occomodate. It's a lot of common sense technique-wise it becomes apparent rather fast. And there are no rules if you would please allow me to say when you understand what it's going to take to get those two wounds to ajoin.
    ...See More

Where to buy a Dawn Redwood "Gold Rush"

Q

Comments (13)
    Interesting. Sounds like a pretty chitty place to buy plants from :) ==>> NO! .. i want a place that grows quality stock ... not some freakin nerd who runs a web site ... in fact.. i am sure you can find someone on ebay who has a great site.. and will sell you one tomorrow.. good luck with that ... your priorities are way out of whack ... besides... i have waited up to 4 years to get a plant i want... whats your hurry??? i really dont understand why all these peeps seem to be working harder than you.. to get this plant for you ... ken
    ...See More

Baby Dawn Redwood Leader Broke

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for the update. Deer have been eating small trees forever so they are somewhat prepared for it. Sometimes though the double shock of getting eaten and transplanted can be a bit much. Metasequoia strongly favors a central leader. In the spring I might cut that side branch off if it looks like the tree as a whole is doing well. It really will probably figure it out though. My big metasequois I stare ar alot. If bet it has releadered 20 times between the heights of 10 and 30 feet tall. The leader gets blown sideways by wind or birds get it or something. Until it got taller than I could reach it never happened. Maybe the wind is stronger up there, the birds more secure, who knows.
    ...See More
  • RedwoodJustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture (I updated my initial post with a picture).

• RedwoodJustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the feedback - I thought the dual leaders would compromise the integrity of the tree later on in its life. I know a redwood isn't weak wooded like a pear tree regarding splitting etc., but that was my concern. I would rather leave it the way it is, which sounds like it will be ok. Again, I thank you for your time/consideration/feedback. Always learning :)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Personally I would start heading off the leader on the left and finish entire removal in about 3 years. That included bark already looks like it will become a problem to me.

John

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Me: I'd walk outside right now with a sawzall and cut one off completely. I've done it with 15' and 20' Picea glauca's at a friends house and you couldn't even tell that half of the tree was gone. You need to remove it completely. It's not going to hurt to do it all at once, either.

Dax

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

To make a long story longer I had to think this over.

If you leave it as is some time sooner then later the width will become unmanageable but it might be the look you want.

If you want to entertain another option for a different look listen up as this would be my fix. Also bare in mind this is a long term fix. Several years depending upon growth habit for your area.

Begin this fall after leaves have fallen. Pick out the weakest leader and make a 45 degree cut up ending at where the two leaders become one. Go to your local big box store and buy a medal fence post. One you drive in the ground. Depending upon which leader remains drive it into the ground about a foot away from the remaining leader you need to pull back to vertical. Whatever persuader you use make sure the trunk is protected from scaring. A rubber hose when using rope, flexible wire or just plain heavy duty stretch tape is acceptable. Pull into vertical in small increments checking every several months.

After you have received vertical presentation then I would limb up to 5 ft to eliminate the one sided growth pattern. In time you will have a beautiful 'Ogon' such as mine.

By the way, so I am told, the correct cultivar name now is 'Golden Oji'.

Dave

Up limbed to 5 ft.

{{gwi:749455}}

10 years ago

hhhhmmmmm

first off.. i hate.. by experience.. memorial trees .. killed a few myself ... but always replaced them since they were named plants ....

whether or not the actual first plant lives is really not essential.. as the replacement maintains the memorial.. and adds to the backstory ...

all that said.. i am with dax ....

choose one side.. trim all the side branches up to about 4 feet ... so you can see what you are doing..

take off everything above 3 feet ...

then go in and surgically remove the trunk down to the bottom ... and leave a proper cut down there...

do you own a tree saw ..... know about branch collars.. or have any experience with pruning??

it will look weird for a year or two.. but it will even itself out over the next few years .... especially since it will have a large root mass with half the top gone ...

and if it fails.. see above re: memorial tree replacement

ken

• botann
    10 years ago

If wet snow or ice is an issue, I'd cut one off right away so the wound would encapsulate as soon as possible.
    Mike

• botann
    10 years ago

If wet snow or ice is an issue, I'd cut one off right away so the wound would encapsulate as soon as possible.
    Mike

• botann
    10 years ago

Mike

• texjagman
    10 years ago

I guess I'm not seeing the issue here. I liked Ken's original position prior to him re-thinking it. If esthetically you don't like it then that's a different matter. But if it is the tree's health that concerns you, I wouldn't worry.

If that V was 6 feet off the ground no-one would think a thing about it. For my taste, I like that it has twice as much fullness. The only way it will be unmanageable to me is if it is too full too close to the ground. Even then you could limb it up. If not, I'd leave it alone.

mark

• RedwoodJustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have decided to take the advice of removing the leader on the left and will be doing it this weekend. I plan to use the 45 degree method to try to make the correction look as seamless as possible.

Thinking about it more and looking at angles etc., it appears that the leader on the right in the images is becoming dominant, and that the left leader would take a more horizontal path in search of light. That was not something I feel can be accommodated in the space that I selected. I will also stake this tree for a year to promote more upright growth.

I really appreciate all the feedback that I received in this thread. I will post a picture of the fix after I sanitize the saw and perform the cut.

Warm Regards

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Justin, first of all, your's isn't an 'Ogon', your's is a 'Snow Flurry'...
    This is because it has a green foliage with creame white tips.
    It's obvious that your's doesn't have a golden coloured foliage.
    Why am I the only one here who's seeing things like this?

A little while ago I explained that 'Golden Oji' is a cultivar name we've to forget...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Golden Oji'

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

My mistagged 'Ogon' looks exactly like the one in this topic. I wonder if a grafter some where out there has started some confusion by grafting the wrong tree?

I would not describe the tree posted as having "creamy white tips" by the same token I also would not argue with coniferjoy about conifers.

John

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"If that V was 6 feet off the ground no-one would think a thing about it."

I would. No respectable Metasequoia looks like that. I'm actually kinda surprised he got it to do this, I think they naturally 'select' one leader as well, the leader, and reduce the growth of others.
    I'd cut one in the middle of winter when the plant will lose the least amt. of reserves from it. Sure one trunk will have a slight lean but it will partly outgrow that.

Not sure snow or ice would ever be an issue with deciduous conifers, their branches seem too thin to catch anything. Maybe T. ascendens because of the upsweeping branchlets.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"the ONLY TECHNICAL ISSUE.. in dual leaderships.. involves arbs .... and snow load ... "

Not true, I've seen a couple Juniperus virginiana split under snow load, and I can imagine it happening to various other fastigiate, plumose plants that catch and hold a lot of snow.

10 years ago

good catch david... what i meant was on a deciduous conifer like DR ... i wasnt even really close ot what i meant.. lol ... i am not aware of any snow load issue on conifers that lose their leaves.. better??? ... lol ..

anyway .... justin.. you never answered if you had a TREE saw ...

and secondly.. a 45 degree angle.. is NOT important... any angle.. away from the trunk left .. will shed water ... do not screw it up.. because you could only get a 30 degree angle.. etc ...

i have seen knock offs of the type of saw at the link.. in the $10 range... and i will yell...

DONT FORGET TO MAKE AT LEAST 3 CUTS ... none of us are good enough to do one perfect cut.. with all that weight above ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: the key is the two rows of surgical cutting points.. and the fact that the rows remove cut material.. this is not a job for a dry lumber saw ... such as you would use on a 2 x 4 .... nor a 100 year old bow saw ... that grandpa got rid of by giving it to your mom.. lol ... to carve her dry turkey ...

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

I had to laugh. Edwin was the the only one who picked up on on this.

I guess the rest of us were to focused upon the two leader issue.

The 'Ogon ' 'Golden Oji'. When I renamed it the 3rd time I left the 'Ogon' tag also. I had a gut feeling that said leave it.

I personally think RedwoodJustin made the correct decision to correct the 'Snow Flurry'.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 22:08

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Ken,

Never mind

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 23:06

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Ken,

Never mind

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 23:05

• texjagman
    10 years ago

If Gold Oji is thrown out and we have the ability to equally pick from Ogon or Gold Rush, I think I'll use Gold Rush for mine. It feels like a more descriptive fun name.

mark

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

apparently we can call it "golden mantle" also according to the expensive book I linked to.

As they claim it was found/created in an x-ray irradiated seed lot in Japan in the 70's I now nominate the name "yellow godzilla". Both grow fast, grow huge, come from Japan, and have something to do with radiation. Not to mention I remember godzilla from the 70's lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: google book link

10 years ago

how about we just call it THE YELLOW ONE ..

i dont know what i am never minding dave.. but .. ok .. lol ..

i missed it because the title only says DR ....

ken

• RedwoodJustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken - I have a number of those '100 year old' saws you speak of, but for this type of work I actually plan to borrow the neighbors 'tree limb' saw as he describes it. I limbed up a few pines with it and it appears to have the two row action you speak about.

ConiferJoy - I bought two of these labeled 'Ogon Dawn Redwood' 5 years ago as 1 foot trees from LazySS farms. I think the light may be playing tricks in the pic I took. If it were mislabeled I would lean more toward it being a species or 'regular' Dawn Redwood. Two caveats - I actually have a species growing 25 feet away and it is a much deeper shade of green. Also, this tree does not receive full sun. When it did it was a much lighter hue, and the other one I got receives full sun on the eastern shore of Maryland and it is absolutely yellow (and growing more vigorously, adjacent to a canal).

I do not dispute that it could have been mislabeled, I just think filtered light may be responsible for the appearance of white flecking. I would describe the foliage as more of a lime green and to my understanding that is somewhat typical as the yellowing becomes more apparent with more mature trees.

Thanks again everybody - one point of confusion, though (and sorry for the long post). Is it better to remove this leader now, in the fall, or in the winter? There does not appear to be consensus. I thought October might be best.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Removing it now will give it time to start the callus process and cover some of the wound before it goes dormant. Doing it this way may allow the tree to completely cover the wound as soon as the end of the next growing season next year as vigorous as these things are.

Removing in dormancy assures the tree will produce and store the max amount of carbs for the growing season. This will give the tree root carb surplus compared with the top growth and will be less stressful on the tree. This really only matters if it is a new transplant. After 5 years in the ground and from pics looks like it is growing perfectly fine, I would disregard this advantage.

I would still go with option #3 and make it a 2-3 year project because you will be removing half(!) of the current canopy. What is your hurry anyhow? If you remove half of the left half now and the remaining half next year, you are only removing ~25% of the canopy each time. This would seem the least stressful approach for the tree IMO though it seems everyone else disagrees.

John

• RedwoodJustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Attached a pic of it prior to transplanting. This is in full sun and it certainly is a more yellow color IMO.

Tree was transplanted in 2011 but has already put on 2 feet of growth this year so it is doing well.

I am not in any hurry, although if given the choice I would make the three cuts in one day and be done with it. My preference is for the tree to live, and I have the patience to give that the best shot. I am a novice (at best) which is why I have asked.

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

That's going to be a very impressive and dramatic tree in your lawn. Nice choice.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

The "best" time to do it would be in early spring when the buds swell right before it leafs out. That is when the plant will be most active metabolically, and the wound will heal quickest. Also, if you catch it before it leafs out it will have wasted no energy producing leaves which will go unused (b/c you've removed them). The disadvantage to waiting is that it will increase in caliper slightly between now and then, so the wound will be a little larger. Fall will be the worst time to do it since the plant will be going into it's slow period metabolically, and it will take longest to heal a wound inflicted at that time. That said, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference and fall would probably work okay too.

Frankly, I think you'll be fine doing it cutting it all off in one go now, since it looks like strong tree and will bounce back fine. But I caution you to make sure you want to go this route - once you start sawing, it's final. I expect the tree will look rather lop-sided once you remove half, and it may be a very long time (or never) before it looks as nice as it does now. From what I can tell from the pictures, the two main shoots have nearly all their branches pointing away from the center with few or none towards the middle. Once you cut one side off, the remaining branches will be on one side of the trunk...kind of an undesirable look, and maybe unstable (to falling over) too. While it may have been the right thing to remove one of the leaders five or ten years ago, it may not be possible to correct this failure by cutting it now.

I can't tell for sure from your pics, you be the judge. And if you remove one side, do come back and post an "after" picture.

Alex

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Look these trees have survived since the time of the dinosaurs and are tough as nails. Mine grew 3' a year in the prior 3 summers, which was one of the hottest & driest string of summers ever in the mid-Atlantic. If it's growing in a generally satisfactory manner and seems healthy, cutting it at ANY time won't be a problem.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 17:35

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"five or ten years ago"?
    My tree has gotten bigger than this in 4 years, from a 24" starting point.

BTW I never fertilized it or watered it; granted, my soil is a fairly moisture retentive humusy loam.

• botann
    10 years ago

I have kept the lower branches on one side of my 'Ogon' cut on purpose. I want to see if if the ones I don't cut on the other side will have an 'armpit'. As you can see by the picture, there is a path right next to the trunk leading to a bridge with no other place to go. Planned it that way. The tree is planted on an island I made when I dug the pond with a bulldozer 30 some years ago. The tree was planted 6 years ago when it was about a foot and a half tall. (1/2 meter)
    Mike

• RedwoodJustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The deed is done, and luckily there were a couple of branches that were reaching across toward the other leader. Luckily, from the area the tree will be viewed from the most, the tree appears to be normal (albeit less full) and I'm sure it will improve over time.

I am now working to correct the distinct lean this thing has. I put an 8 foot stake down and have it corrected about 75%. I will take a more aggressive angle next season, but it appears to be well on its way to becoming a self-respecting member of the metasequoia populace :) Thanks again for all the feedback, will post a pic of the cut next.

This post was edited by RedwoodJustin on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 11:26

• RedwoodJustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the cut. You can see that this was leaning pretty significantly, presumably as the leaders 'fought' for supremacy. Correcting this will take a few years I am sure.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Good job Redwoodjustin.

Looks like a good clean 45 degree cut and I am sure the tree didn't care one way or the other what kind of saw you used.

Once you get it pulled back to vertical and a few years added to its prominence you will never notice the leader removal.

Dave

10 years ago

what saw he used.. is an issue of using the right tool for the job ... i caught a neighbor complaining about how hard the job was.. while using a carpenters finish saw ..

anyway .... i wouldnt worry about the lean ... it will correct itself when it doubles in size ....

congrats... austin powers.. man of action .. lol ...

sometimes i wonder if lonely people do posts.. and never really actually do the deed.. lol ... you on the other hand.. if i were on of your trees.. i would be afraid.. lol

good work ... just dont love it to death ...

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Ken, we seem to be bucking heads lately. Maybe it's in the water one of us is drinking that is causing this.

Aside from that I respectfully disagree. Correct the lean by pulling it back into vertical at the bend. If you do nothing it will correct the lean on its own but on the top side which you want to avoid.

The saw is a mute point. I could have used a hack saw with a 24 tooth blade to cut off that small leader and accomplished the same look he did .LOL

The man of action did a good job because he got expert advice and knew it. A great looking specimen it will be.

We also have Edwin giving him the correct cultivar name 'Snow Flurry' which all of us so called experts didn't pick up on.

Great post and follow ups.

Dave

• gardener365
    10 years ago

If the main leader is vertical, leave it be. It doesn't appear to be out of whack, instead, it looks perfectly-perpendicular.

You'll never know years down the road that the slight to moderate lean at the cut was that way. Ken's right about that.

I have an oak I'm training that the leader portion for 5' for example isn't staying perpendicular. That portion I stake while leaving everything below as is.

Dax

• mlmuir
    9 years ago

This is my first post to the forum I hope I am in the right place.
    I have a Dawn Redwood that is about 5 years old. Up until this spring it was growing fantasticly, full beautiful growth. But this year it has taken a nose dive. I have parts of the tree that seem to be doing ok, and other branches with hardly a bud on them. Usally by this time of the season
    it has totaly filled out.I have included a photo to try to show this. Other photos are avaiable if needed. Any help will be appreciated..

Thank You

• mlmuir
    9 years ago

Another photo

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Are you in zone 4? Where are you, and how cold did this past winter get?

$100 says its winter damage.

This post was edited by hairmetal4ever on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 21:44

9 years ago

no mim.. this old post is not the right place ..

go to the main page... and look for POST A MESSAGE ...

and start your own post...

and check the box.. so email replies come to you ...

i will not reply in this post.. to your hijacking...

and dont take that personally.. many newbs make the same mistake ... and we have to train them all...

in your new post.. tell us where you are.. big city ... and add a pic of the whole..

i had the worst winter ever.. z4 at least.. in my z5 ... and not much DR damage ...

ken