SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwarninger

New to gardening, might have made a big mistake.

jwarninger
11 years ago

Hi, I'm new to gardening and wanted to plant some veggies on a portion of my yard that was sectioned off by pavers and graveled. I took the gravel out (not fun). Underneath was hard red clay soil. I went to Home Depot to buy some top soil, and got Kellog's Amend. It said "garden soil" so I thought it would work well. I just poured it on top of the clay. Now I realize I was suppose to mix the two, hence the word "amend". Woops. I planted various summer veggies including kale, lettuces, zucchini, butternut squash and tomatoes.

I'm now worried because I didn't mix the soil, and the Kellog's Amend really stinks! There are little flies all around the garden. I read the product contains "biowastes" so is this smell ever going to go away? I'm feeling kind of defeated and disappointed at my efforts, I know I should have done more research. This stinky fly attraction is not what I pictured when I thought about planting a veggie garden :( Any comments or suggestions on if this situation will work? Should I just start over?

Comments (4)

Sponsored