SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

Anyone else here live in Southern California desert?

chaparralgirl
12 years ago

I can't say that this is my first time having plants in wintertime, but it IS my first time actually paying attention to what I'm doing with them over winter.

I live in the Sonoran Desert. Zone 11, I believe - although, all things considered, I really don't count that to mean much of anything, given how widely the temperatures vary out here between day and night.

Winters here feature fairly mild daytime weather - 60s (F) typically, much more balmy than the rest of the year (humidity is currently 30%), a lot more cloud cover than the rest of the year - but nights can be downright frigid. In the 30s. Low 30s. As in, I'm half expecting for it to snow.

Before moving, the vast majority of my plants were indoors. Only a few did I risk putting outside (in the shade), and when I did, it was summertime - 110-115 degrees, bone-dry arid...well, a desert. Nights were typically in the 90s. Not a huge temperature variance, and well within the tolerance of my plants.

Now that we've moved, south-facing window real estate is at a premium in our new house, and so a lot of my previously indoor plants have been moved outdoors - having first spent about a week in the relative shelter of the garage. (The garage has a south-facing window that gets plenty of sunlight, and while it's not heated, it does offer protection from wind and rain. Some of my small plants have taken up residence on that windowsill.)

(Garage window - some of my larger plants are still sitting on the floor.)

Only a few of my plants are currently indoors in the living space. We have one and only one viable south-facing window indoors - in the living room - and the windowsill is much more shallow than the one in our previous home. I'm currently working on building a sofa table to put beneath that window so I can bring more of my plants back indoors.

(Living room window)

The plants that are outside are protected from wind and rain, as our front door is tucked into a south-facing alcove, and the walls retain some solar heat after direct sunlight has passed by.

(If I have to say "south-facing" one more time, I'm going to smack myself.)

(Front door, to the left. My office window at center - and no, that window won't suffice - the office is dismally inadequate for my plants' lighting needs.)

So, in the meantime, does anyone have any advice for watering and protecting from the cold? I really worry over them at nighttime, but I don't know where else to put them.

*CG*

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio