SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

Galaxy Explosion 100% rust resistant?

16 years ago

I bought GALAXY EXPLOSION based on the following description from the hybridizer, "This daylily has proven to be 100% rust resistant and has been tested across the U.S. in heavily infested rust areas." I thought this was interesting. I have never seen a daylily described as 100% rust resistant. Could this daylily be immune to rust? Does anyone grow this DL and what did you think of it?

I also have other daylilies ordered for Spring delivery, all of which have been described as rust resistant. They include BEST KEPT SECRET, BY MYSELF, MONICA MARIE, TUSCAWILLA TRANQUILLITY, GREEN FLUTTER, BROCADED GOWN, GLEBER'S TOP CREAM, OLYMPIC SHOWCASE, RENEGADE LADY, ROYAL EVENTIDE, SUPER PURPLE, SPACECOAST HOT TOPIC, WALLY, and FOREVER RED. All of these are older DL's and are inexpensive, so I figured they were worth a shot. Some of my daylilies never get rust. Never. So I'm hoping that some of what I bought this year will be the same. And maybe, just maybe, I can have a yard full of daylilies that never get rust and that never have to be sprayed...even though I live in FL. I don't know if this is a realistic goal...or if I'm dreaming. We'll see.

Kathy

Comments (27)

• 16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Keep on dreaming, It's entirely possible to be in the south and not have Rust. I'm in Texas, Zone 8b too, I have lots of daylilys. I have never, ever had rust. You will enjoy Brocaded Gown, It just blooms and blooms and blooms.

• 16 years ago

I passed on GALAXY EXPLOSION for two reasons. First, I am just suspicious of any 100% or foolproof claims. Too often these claims prove to be short-sighted or simply conning someone. Secondly, GE is not very pretty in my eyes. It looks almost species!
    There are many plants that I can say I have never seen rust on, but I don't think I would claim 100%. There will always be some new variety of rust that your plant may be susceptible to. Isn't there always an exception to every rule? However, I don't object to saying very rust resistant and I admire the Hybridizer's for addressing rust susceptibility in their plant.
    You should also check out Leon Payne's LUNAR ORBIT, which I intend to acquire. He claims it to be very rust resistant, and I expect it to be. It also is very pretty in my eyes.
    I think you have done well in choosing the plants above. I think you will be happy with your selections.
    Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: Payne's Daylilies

• Related Discussions

wanted: have: old seeds for sasbe

Q

Comments (8)
    daffodillady, I can give you #1, but 2 & 3 were asked for via email (she had trouble trying to post). If you want it, it's yours! That will close this offer. Thanks everyone, I'll be sending an email. Karen/kalena67
    ...See More

New Here

Q

Comments (18)
    Nice to have you on the forum and look forward to seeing more from you! Happy holidays :) witchygirl- you are spot on!! The “articles” I find are total garbage and are so incredibly vague, or just flat or incorrect, that it physically pains me (and I’m still a newbie!). I have learned so much incredible stuff about gardening from this forum it puts all other internet articles and many website to shame. Best thing I ever did for my gardens was to join this site :)
    ...See More

Summer pics 4

Q

Comments (44)
    The white phlox with the pink eye is Sterling Silver. I don't know the name of the dark pink one. I probably got it unmarked from work. The girls in the back usually save me unmarked plants when they are going through and cutting back stuff. The jar came from a wholesale place in Vass called Imports Exclusives. We get our ceramic pots there. They have a line of mexican pottery. Last year the owner let me tag along with her when she was picking out pottery and let me get stuff wholesale yippee. I picked out two of those jars plus a much larger one, a cute frog pot and two huge palm pots. She doesn't stock much of the mexican pottery though I do think we could move those jars. I think they would retail for about 35-40 dollars if I remember correctly. Adele
    ...See More

What Daylily do you really want this Year?

Q

Comments (54)
    I checked on Fabulous Frieda on the AHS site and was surprised that it looks a lot like Christmas Celebration that I already have. There is a difference, but similar. I love reds so I just had to see it. I was needing to add to my 5,000 page want list.I will add this one but not at the top. Thanks for the information on a new red, I'm also on the look for more new reds so keep the info coming!!! This is a GREAT thread!!! Blessing, Mona
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

I can't say anything about GE as far as rust goes..no problem here. ED, I find is looks rather nice in the garden here...it also multiplies very fast and puts up many scapes...actually it does very well here. Maybe it does better with a little cold on it??? Hmmmm interesting!

{{gwi:676007}}

• 16 years ago

agibson, Thank you for the encouragment. I love daylilies and, except for rust, they grow very well for me. They've never had crown rot, or leaf streak, or any insect problems. So, I'm not going to give up my DL's without a fight! It's nice to hear that someone in 8b has remained rust free. You give me hope.

Ed, I had to smile at your description, "It looks almost species!" To me, this is not a bad thing. But I see your point. I like all kinds of DL's - from spiders to ruffles, short, tall, and everything in between. The only thing I don't like is muddy colors. And I'm not sure I'll like the color of GE...I'll have to wait and see it bloom in my garden. If I don't like it, I still plan to use it to hybridize with and hopefully pass along some of it's rust resistance. Thank you for the heads up about LUNAR ORBIT. I have never heard of it and think it is beautiful. I have added it to my list. Let me know how it does for you.

Rick, your photo of GE is wonderful! If mine looks like that, I will be very happy with it. I was thinking about planting it near BELA LUGOSI or some other dark purple. But after looking at your pic, I think it might look better near yellow/orange. Does the color hold up well in full sun? And is it really 40" in your garden?

Kathy

• 16 years ago

Kathy.....
    I have never measured it....but from looking at it as compared to scale of other things in the garden.....I would say between 34-38 inches...would be about right for here. This is a late in the day pic of it and the sun was hammering it..thus colour not as true (Glare). It holds fairly well here....but rain (hard) does put a hurt on it.I think it would also look very nice near BL. It has a colour all to itself.....but contrasts nicely with many shades...I think. It blooms high on the scape....Winds can knock it about...but it just keeps on sending up scapes....I can't say much for the foliage though....hey, hard to have everything...LOL

{{gwi:676008}}

• 16 years ago

That's what makes daylilies great. You aren't stuck with just one form. My comments were of my own preferences. They would have been similar if GE was a double form as I'm not terribly fond of them. Yes, I'm a bagel man! But I do commend the hybridizer for his rust research. Wish more of the southern hybridizers would do likewise.

Rick's picture of GE is great. Looks so good I would almost reconsider passing on it! Nope! ;0)

As a suggestion, I've paired colors similar to GE with pastel, peachy pinks. Looked pretty good to me.
    Have fun,
    Ed

• 16 years ago

Rick, I think I like the second pic even better than the first. And the foliage looks fine to me...green and healthy...what more could you want?

Ed, Ed, Ed...you don't like doubles either? Dude,,,you've gotta branch out a little. Variety is the spice of life, haven't you heard? As for your peachy, pink suggestion...maybe I'll pair it up with SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC... just for youuu. Wouldn't that combo make your heart race?
    ;-)

Guess what? I found my first scapes today. All I can say is - it's about time! It has been a loooong winter.

Kathy

• 16 years ago

SCAPES??????? I just barely have green here in NE MS 7B. WOW I guess one zone can really make a difference. I'm just getting ready to do Spring cleaning on my daylilies and add some fertilzer and move them. It's been a long winter here too. We've had 2 days of 70's and the rest of the week is supposed to be this way also. Dare we hope for an early Spring??

I only had a small amount of rust last fall in my potted daylilies that I had bought in spring of 2007. I hope that the winter freezes killed it. It has been on other plants in previous years and the cold killed it. It's amazing that rust can be really bad on some of the pots but others will have a very small amount or none at all. I really do need to keep records on which are the worst but by the time I remember to do it, it's gone. I did spray 3 or 4 times the last weeks of fall, in late Sept and early Oct to help keep it down.

I can say without a doubt, the more air the plants get, the less rust they have. I didn't space my pots far enough apart(they were touching each other) last year and learned this caused me many problems. I'm in the process of moving about 600 pots, repotting(bigger, some from 1 gallon to 5 gallon) and spacing them atleast 6" apart and this isn't enough but a sunny space is a at a premium around here.

I have Spc Hot Topic and it was so pretty last year and it had no rust. I have it in 3 different locations and all were rust free for me. I checked out the "Paynes" website and they have some beauties. I really like some of their seedling pictures.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and may God bless you each with his loving Grace, Mona

• 16 years ago

Cool.....scapes!

Be still my heart!!! ;0) SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC and GALAXY EXPLOSION together. Complimentary colors but a contrast of form! Excellent. If I liked doubles, and I have to admit to liking a couple of them, the peony form of SDC would be what I liked the best. SDC is a great plant too, btw.

Ed

• 16 years ago

Hi Mona, I agree that spacing DL's farther apart can help reduce rust. I learned this last year in my seedling bed. As for the scapes I found, they were on a bonus plant from last Fall (CHEROLHALA). I have had this happen before...it's like the Fall transplants get confused about the time of year, you know? I was happy to see them, but I doubt they will continue to be this early in years to come.

David, Thanks for the additional info about GE. The more I see and read about this daylily, the better it sounds. I'm excited about adding it to my garden! For the past year or so, I have been looking online for any and all info about rust resistant daylilies. This has not been an easy task. If not for the rust survey and my fellow posters here at GW (especially Ed) I wouldn't have a clue which daylilies are most resistant. I rarely find a hybridizer that will recommend a rust resistant daylily, even in a private email. So I was thrilled when I read your description of GE on a public website. I thought it would be of interest here at GW...especially to those of us in the deep south where rust can be such a problem. I wish ALL hybridizer's would tell us which of their daylilies are the most and least rust resistant. This information is as valuable to us in the south, as cold hardiness is to buyers in the north. You are to be commended for sharing this rust info and I hope that you will continue your rust research on future introductions and share it on your website. I was glad to learn that GE is fertile both ways. Now I can plan to cross it with PEACOCK MAIDEN (and others) which has been rust resistant, but pod unfertile for me. Please understand that when I talk about my hybridizing efforts, I'm talking about 200-300 seedlings per year...max. I'd like to see GE used extensively in several major hybridizing programs. Maybe an entire line of rust resistant daylilies would be the result...maybe even a few bagels for Ed!

Kathy

• 16 years ago

Mister Burris,
    You should not have taken anything personal in my comments about GALAXY EXPLOSION. I am sure it is very rust resistant as are lots of good plants. I understand criticizing your plant is like talking about your children - very hard for you to stay objective. My comments were only my preferences and not meant to hurt your feelings or cast doubt on the plants origins.
    And also, I was not accusing you of conning anyone. It's just that I don't like absolute statements. In the words of a famous hero figure of mine; "Never Say Never"! ;0)
    I think it's nice that you will come here and share information about your plants. It might even benefit your business. And anyone working for the long term hardiness of the daylily will get my respect, regardless of flower form!
    Ed

• 16 years ago

I personally love Galaxy Explosion (but all I've seen are the pics of it). It is definitely on my list to acquire. I also like Scaramouche and Marilyn Siwik. But then, I just love daylilies -- the frilly, ruffled "girly" flowers, too --- and I'm fascinated by spiders, doubles, UFOs and the carved look. In other words, I never met a daylily I didn't like.

I am so happy to hear about GE being 100% rust-resistant. This is great news. We all need ever so desperately to do some serious experimental hybridizing, using plants with an apparent genetic ability to fight off this fungus.

Does anyone know of any organized group of daylily growers who are working collectively on this problem? If so, I'd like to join it.

Nancy

• 16 years ago

Quote "Ed, as far as conning someone..That's just not my style and I have never and will never do that..And besides why would someone con someone over a 10 dollar plant?? But that is your opinion and I respect that, it just doesn't apply to me is all...Not in this case or any other..I have tried to go out of my way to make customers happy and with the hundreds of repeat customers I feel like I doing ok or I would not have a good business..As far as GE being pretty?? Well that's in the eyes of the beholder and I respect your opinion on that as well..We all have likes and dislikes.. As far as it being close to species?? In this case no it's not although it does share some older parents.."

I cannot seem to find where I said I was offended by anything Ed??? I promise you I don't offend easily and I'm pretty thick skinned regarding comments about any intro's of mine..And no they are not like my children at all..Not even close.. I'm extremely objective about any plants..Mine or someone elses...I've ripped out whole crosses before not because they were not a pretty bloom, but because the plants lacked what I consider a good quality overall plant..

And like I said before...Nothing anyone says on here will ever offend me I can promise that..I welcome constructive criticism on the plants..How in the world can we advance if not to have opinions..Right? I try to remember on these forums that there are alot of "newbies" that need to be welcomed with open arms and eased into debates to fully understand ones intentions...I'm not referring to me...lol...But there are some that frequent forums that just might not be as appreciative as I am of criticism..Here is why I'm so immune to negative comments...And I'm not saying anyone is being negative towards me either...The reason it doesn't bother me is because I feel I do the best I can possibly do to provide the people interested in my plants, with a quality plant that hopefully the majority of people will fing pretty or at the least interesting..From the feedback I get from customers emails I think I'm doing ok in that area...And the other reason it doesn't bother me is that I have come to realize that everyones tastes are different and that there is no way possible to micro-focus towards one certain group of people and stay competitive and more importantly have distiction..

Ed, I do have one question directed totally at you...And this is not what you think..As we have all seen alot of the "Bagel" types converge to what seems to be a lack of distinction (By no means all), should one be reluctant to introduce a daylily that when you look at 10 different named daylilies side by side you have to look at a name tag to distinguish them? I have many super round fat bagels with huge eyes,big chicken fat edges,and so on..But out of respect for the genus, I feel some of these should not be registered because of that lack of total distinction..I really would like your opinion on this..Am I alone in this thought??? I will always have alot of round fat bagels around..They just have there own place, there own niche if you will..And now Brian Mahieu and myself are incorporating some of those genetics into our spider/ufo programs...Another thought...Wouldn't it be neat if those big ole fat bagels were on plants chest high with blooms like a dinner plate..And maybe even try stretching a few into the UFO class with the bagel eyes and edges..I can see this in my mind very clear..Just trying to show that I'm very open to all forms and I don't discount anything anymore..I know you to Ed are open minded and very opinionated, and from what I hear very knoweledgable as well..Thanks again..David.

• 16 years ago

David,
    Well good that you weren't offended, so I will not comment further on the subject, except to say that your skin must be pretty thick not to let criticisms of your work sometime get to you.

"Quote: I feel I do the best I can possibly do to provide the people interested in my plants, with a quality plant that hopefully the majority of people will fing pretty or at the least interesting".

I think this is an excellent way to approach this business.

As far as my opinion about introducing look alike plants. I will be happy to respond, but realize that my opinion is tempered by my location, ie, the crown rot, rust prone south.

I am a small time hybridizer, having registered my first plant in 2007. People register/introduce daylilies for many reasons, and many that are registered are never intended for or introduced into commerce. My primary goal in hybridizing is to never be embarrassed to say I hybridized that plant. So my over-riding emphasis is on plant quality. It must perform in this area without having to be pampered or sprayed excessively. These qualities must be present before distinction is considered. It is apparent to me that too many hybridizers put too much emphasis on distinction and the result is poor performing plants.

So yes, I will introduce a plant, even if it's a look-a-like, as long as I feel it's a superior plant. I will let time sort things out. If the plant has superior performance, it will probably be around long after I'm gone. I do feel there are way too many plants registered and introduced each year, because the quality standards being applied to them are not high enough.

And you know what, I do envision a 48" tall daylily with 8" round blooms. It's not that far away! And its name just popped into my mind! Thanks for the nice comments.

Best, Ed

• 16 years ago

Oh what a wonderful thread! Thank you all!
    I'm happy to say I bought 'Galaxy Explosion' last Spring and it has increased 3 fold over this past Winter ~ so I can see how David has sold/bonused/given thousands of fans LOL!
    Hopefully this year my plants will be a gorgeous as that Ironstone Daylilies clump!
    There is not yet any Rust problem here for me, so I was thinking of the resistance as sort of a side benefit, but now I see that it is much more than that. Thanks so much for bringing this up, Kathy.
    Marea

• 16 years ago

I bought GE from David late last year, just because I think it is beautiful. I love its "species" form and strong hot color coupled with the dark eye. Now I'm excited to see if it increased well for me, so I can enjoy it in a large clump, and share it.

I've started my own small efforts at hybridizing, so I really appreciate David's information about GE's rust resistance and good foliage habits. My first seedlings ought to bloom this year, and I'm going to have to develop a thick skin and ruthless culling mentality FAST if I'm going to only keep a few each year. Thank you for the reminder to keep only the BEST of my efforts.

Laurel

• 16 years ago

Nancy, I have not heard of any organized group specifically working on daylily rust. If you should learn about such a group, please let me know. I hope you get GE soon. Maybe between you, me, Marea and Laurel, we can use GE to produce some magical seedlings!

Marea, GE increased 3 fold in the first year?! That's nice to hear. I had a DL that multiplied very quickly. It was VOLUSIAN SPIDER. I loved it, but it stayed covered with rust. I finally gave up and threw the entire clump (15+ fans) in the garbage. It was heartbreaking. GE reminds me a little of VS with its' big dark eye. Hopefully, I'll have better luck this time.

Laurel, I didn't know you also had GE. Any pics, yet? If not, be sure to get some this year. And good luck with your seedlings. I'll look forward to seeing them as well.

Kathy

• 16 years ago

I didn't realize it was dormant. Does anyone know if it will thrive down here in zone 8?

Nancy

• 16 years ago

Hi Kathy,

I got GE later last summer, and so it hasn't bloomed for me yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it perform, it looks like a fantastic flower. I love those smoldering dark oranges. I'll be sure to get pics, no problem, and you can be sure I'll hybridize with it.

Laurel

• 16 years ago

Although I registered GE as a dormant, it is not what I would call a "hard dormant"...It does go all the way dormant but I have noticed over the years that when we have a milder winter it tends to spring to life quicker than most dormants so I think in my opinion you will be ok with it..I know I have sent alot to gulf coast gardens and have not heard any complaints so far..My Dad lives in the panhandle of Florida and it does ok there. I guess use your own judgement..I'm just telling you what I know to be fact..Hope this helps..David.

• 16 years ago

Thanks, David. I will give it a try.

Nancy

• 16 years ago

I'll tell ya what Nancy...Give it a try..If it doesn't thrive and bloom for you there, send it back for a full refund..I do not normally do that but I'm willing to go on a little faith in hopes it will do well for you..How's that!!!!

• 16 years ago

I also bought GE from David last year, not because of the rust resistance, but just because it knocked me out with it's incredible mix of elegance and power. I only got into daylilies last year when I stumbled upon spiders and Brian Mahieu's work, and was delighted that there was some appreciation out there for the older forms, and an effort to heighten their unique characteristics. Bagels and chicken fat are not for me, but I've come a long way from my previous conviction that a daylily is only pretty if it is along the yellow-orange-brown continuum, with long, pointy petals (or whatever they're called...)

Thank you guys for the work you do - you are awesome!

• 16 years ago

Pretty good, David. You should have my order arriving any day now. I really liked it even before this thread. It was definitely on my wish list. Thanks. Nancy

• 16 years ago

I'm getting it this spring through the LA, from David. What attracted me to it was the color, I'm not an orange fan, but this one caught my eye. Glad to hear it's a really good performer.

Karen

• 13 years ago

Okay, 3 years later what's the verdict? My grandmother grew daylillies and in her honor I had a yard full when rust decimated my collection circa 2001. I'd like to plant more but don't want to fight the rust battle. Tough enough gardening here with heat and high humidity. Any other rust resistent Varieties?

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years