SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
savannahbanana_gw

how can my aloe surive the harsh winter?

savannahbanana
17 years ago

I am an incredibly new grower, and I just bought my first aloe five months ago. It was the tiniest thing back then and it has now grown at least six times its original size....

But now it is winter in saskatchewan. Winter here involves -50 degree celcius days and nights, and lasts for six months of the year. I live in a drafty old basement apartment, and I am scared where I used to let my aloe sit next to the window will be too cold. I moved the aloe to a dresser, but now I worry it isn't getting enough light from that angle. Since moving it away from the window parts of it have started to shrivle and turn a bit brown, and I wonder if it could be the lack of light, or if I am overwatering (which could be possible seeing as I used the wrong soil and its in a glazed pot, both apparently bad moves, and I try to water once every couple of weeks or a week adn a half... whenever it feels dry).

Basically, I wouldn't mind getting some tips so I can help my aloe survive the winter. which is the lesser of two evils, the cold or the lack of light? would it be worth it just to buy a growlight so it doesnt' completely suffer getting only five hours of low natural light a day for the next five months?

a lot of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County