SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deep_roots

Certain Fungi Improve Drought Survivability for Plants

deep_roots
17 years ago

Don Chapman, President of Bio-Organics, sent me an email suggesting that drought conditions can be improved by using mycorrhizal fungi inoculants to improve moisture retention of sandy dry soil and enable a partnership between plant roots and fungi that has allowed plants to survive droughts. Examples were given comparing a normally watered plant to an un-watered fungi treated plant, where the mycorrhizal fungi inoculants allowed the plant with less water to surpass the productivity of the other one. Another example was tomato plants growing and producing when grown in very dry beach sand. His website is http://www.bio-organics.com/. I am aware of other area growers using his products. However, I am not listing this as an endorsement or getting paid for doing so. Check for yourself that by doing a Google Search, you can find other companies selling similar fungal root innoculants. This might prove helpful to those of you before putting out trees, shrubs, and other plants in drought areas. I am also looking at xeriscaping ideas, which might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bio-Organics Web Site

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner