SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Adenium Seed

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Does anyone know what size Adenium seeds are? Are they dust-like, medium or big?

Thanks, Toni

Comments (24)

• joeplant
    15 years ago

I have some adenium that I started from seed about a year ago and if I remember they were about 1/4 long and thin,looked like chaff.not positive, I've been trying so many different seeds lately I might be confusing them with another seed type. joe

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joe lolol..thanks..hehe..Wish you were positive..The reason I'm asking is, I sow using peat pellets..if seeds are large they won't fit in the holes, so I'll have to come up with something else..If seeds are small to medium, the peat pellets will be perfect..
    Maybe someone knows for sure..but thanks anyway..Toni
    PS: I know what u mean about sowing different seeds, same here..

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

They are actually almost 1 cm long and 2-3 mm thick. One should plant them horizontally because it's not clear at which end of the seed the root will emerge.

Jordi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jordi, thanks so much..the size should be the correct size for the pellets..Toni

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Toni,

Don't know if this will help, but here is a picture of DR seeds, that I took from a seed pod that came off my DR plant, I never planted them, since I didn't know how or if they were even polinated or not...most likely they weren't.

HTH
    {{gwi:745069}}

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Pug,
    Wow, they're weird looking..Polinated? Sheesh..I hope those ordered from Thailand are..
    Looking at them, they may not fit in peat pellets..darn. I don't think squishing the seed inside a small hole will work..Do you know if the entire pic u posted is all seed or maybe other parts of the plant? lol..
    Thanks so much, Toni

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

Toni,
    Those are bundles of hair at both ends of the seed to enable it to fly and be distributed by wind.
    These hairs can be removed easily.
    But again put them horizontally! Don't put them vertically in the whole of a pellet because you don't know at which end the root will emerge.

Jordi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jordi, that's good to know..Thanks..I'd have placed the seeds vertically.
    You say the hairs can be removed easily..is it better to pull or scissor?

I'm still waiting for the seeds..They were shipped from Thailand on 12/7, but still no seeds..Plus another order of succulents from Thailand, different seller..I hope there's no problems. Thanks again, Toni

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

Most likely the seeds will come without the hairs anyhow. If not... the bundles of hair break off easily.

Jordi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jordi..
    My concern now is they get here..I got an email stating they were shipping..But nothing..The mailman just came by, no seeds or plants.

I just removed 6 pellets of Pachypodium Lealii. They're about 1/2" tall..I wonder if it's a good idea removing them from the heating tray and placing in a window..What do you think? The other seedlings haven't sprouted..I wonder if they're dead..It could be they take longer to germinate..Oh well, we'll see how they go.
    Jordi, thanks for the help..Toni

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

I think if this type of seed -kept warm and moist- doesn't germinate within a week or so they are dead. Either rotten in the germination process or dead from the beginning.
    Did you plant these Pachy seeds horizontally in the pellet whole? If so, some might not have been able to realize the right direction to sprout. :-))

Jordi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jordi, which seeds do you think are dead? Those that haven't germinated? Oh boy, that's sad.
    Actually, I just slipped seeds in the pellet holes..the seeds were tiny and round. No top and bottom.

You give them a wk? I've sowed sux before..some took up to a year! Could it possibly take longer because I'm in Il and you're in Ca?
    They're not getting much light. They're about 5' from a south window..Rooms with artificial lights are too cold to keep seeds/seedlings..
    I have a plant stand in the basement..Two sections, top and bottom. Each light holds two bulbs. Other than the bulbs, plants wouldn't get any natural sun.
    I've sowed hundreds of seeds in the basement, mostly annuals, but sux too..the problem is, even though approximately 50% germinated,(terrible odds) they did take a long time before sprouting.
    Here's a pic of the stand..I wish I would have bought a stand that wasn't as wide, and taller. This shelf hasn't been used since 2006..if I could sell it, I would. Toni
    PS..I really hope the seeds aren't goners.

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

Toni,
    As this is germination under artificial conditions it doesn't matter if CA or IL.
    Important is the temperature and I think yours is too low. Room temp is usually not enough for good germination of sux and cacti. At least 50% of a day the temp should be in the mid 80s.
    Adenium and Pachys have a very soft seed shell which is easily penetrated by water. Therefore their seeds germinate within a few days... or rot.

Jordi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jordi, the reason I mentioned location, some people sow seeds in front of a window, plus artificial light. Since we have very little sun, outdoor light isn't much of an option.
    My seedlings are in the warmest room of the house (72.5) and trays are heated. When I place my hand inside the tray, it's toasty warm. Last time I tested tray temp, it read 81.1F. Can't recall humidity. The tray's heat is on 24/7..So, heat isn't a problem.
    At one point, well twice, lol, the pellets dried a little too much. That may be the reason these seeds didn't germinate. Then again, the Pachy's made it nicely and doing well. Thanks, Toni

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

It usually triggers seeds to germinate if there is a day and night change of temperature of at least 10-15F.
    In your case I would connect the heating to a timer which only heats from ~ 8am to 8pm. So during the night seeds would cool down to room temps.

Jordi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jordi, when I used to sow in the basement, (w/the shelf pictured) the lights and heating trays were on a timer.
    I can hook up a timer or unplug the tray with the seeds I'm sowing now.
    The Pachy's were started before the remaining seeds..I'd unplug the tray at night..they germinated super fast, so you may be right about lowering the heat..Then again, temps were much warmer all around..In and outdoor.
    Yesterday the outside temp was 53F..today w/the windchill it's -18. Our heat's working overtime. Even though the room is warm, tonight it might be a tad too cool. I'll check later..But honestly, I think these seeds are goners.

BTW, I ordered Adenium seeds from Thailand..Got an email last week saynig they'd been shipped..The mailman already delivered todays mail, still no seeds...Did you ever order overseas? Or happen to know how long it takes? I think it's time to email the company.
    What's scary is, 'after' ordering, I checked their feedback. Turns out, they're a new company, only had 2 feedbacks. Since the seeds were paid by Paypal, the nursery was was paid automatically.
    One reason I ordered from them is, they have a beautiful, large, orange flowered Adenium..I checked elsewhere, but no one had orange available.
    I also have another order from Thailand w/live plants. This order was made a couple days before the seed order. The plants haven't arrived either. I don't know what to do, if I should wait, write to the nurseries or notify Paypal. Any ideas? Toni

• joscience
    15 years ago

In my experience (which is mostly with discrete electronic components), you should expect international shipping to take between 2 and 6 weeks. Might even take longer with plant material since it is more tightly regulated through customs...

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jo. Does that mean my package is somewhere between Thailand and US? In the cold? :(
    I just checked the nursery that's shipping plants, not the seeds, feedback. 99% positive.. Some people wrote, fast shipping..Fast compared to what?
    I wrote the seller before ordering, asking what was required shipping 'plants' overseas..I 'think' he might have lied..he first said, he ships to CA, then plants are sent to whomever ordered. But, in another email and on his Ebay page, it says, w/an order over 'x' amount $, you get a free Phytosanitary Certificate to ship from Thailand to US. Or if under the 'x' amount, the cost for this certificate is 5.00.
    On his Ebay page, it also says, 'Buyers will receive orders 7 days.' NOT!

The seed nursery accumulated feedback since the last time I checked.
    This nursery never mentioned a certificate. Does this sounds fishy?
    Do you think it'd be unethical if I emailed the first person who ordered seeds from this nursery? Ask how long it took to receive shimpment?

Speaking of fishy, Jo, ahem, what's this 'discrete electronic components' bussiness? lol, j/k..Do I hear Code Name, AIC? lol...Toni

Jo, have you ordered plants from overseas? If so, how long did your order take?

• joscience
    15 years ago

First off, I've never ordered plants or seeds from overseas, so my experience isn't a direct comparison. My other hobby is high-voltage electronics, and many of the parts I need aren't sold in small quantities here in the US. No code here, just fun stuff like capacitors, diodes, and vacuum tube sockets. Thankfully, you can find pretty much any of these parts for sale on eBay originating from China, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. The shortest I ever received anything was just over two weeks, and the longest anything ever took was just shy of two months. In both cases I believe the seller shipped immediately upon payment.

I think the seller who said "Buyers will receive order in 7 days" is just being, lets say "creative" with his marketing. All the same, I'd wait probably a month before I rounded up the posse. You could send another customer a quick note asking how long it took to receive their order. There isn't anything unethical about that. Just be warned that they might not respond, as it may create the impression that you are up to something fishy.

The certificate issue is a whole different can of worms. I could see the seller shipping a large package with proper phyto certificates to a partner the US, then having the partner re-ship them domestically.

My totally honest advice is to just wait. You could send the seller an email, but I'm sure they'll say they were shipped right after payment. If the seeds don't show up a month or so after you ordered them, send the seller an email threatening to leave negative feedback. If you don't get a satisfactory response, leave the negative feedback, report it to eBay, then move on! Unless it was hundreds of dollars worth of seeds, you'll be better off just getting over it than trying to get your money back from some scammer in Asia!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jo, I was kidding about the codes..Just be careful with the high voltage electronic stuff..I'm frightened taking clothes from the dryer, 'static cling.' lol

Just short of 2 months! Ah..I wish I'd known sooner.. If it was summer, it wouldn't be so bad, but neither sellers mentioned heat packs, and the Adeniums plants are bare-root..oh boy..

I too thought the first buyer might think I'm after or up to something other than asking a shipping question. Guess I'll pass.

Now that you reassured me it takes a good amount of time shipping from Thailand, I'll wait. I don't think they're scammers, at least I hope not. Trying to be optimistic. :)
    Actually, the plant order was a lot more than I planned on spending, lol, but his variegated Adeniums were precious. None are sold here, especially in IL. Thongnoppakun, 5.00, Changpuak, 5.00, Superbar, 6.00, Sukura 2. 5.00.
    All but the last are variegated..Sukura 2's leaves are long and thin..Never saw narrow leaves on an Adenium before.
    Thanks for your help, Toni

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

"Never saw narrow leaves on an Adenium before."
    Toni just a provocative question: Have you ever checked out anything else (like pure natural Adenium species for example) than Adenium obesum and its artificial Asian hybrids?
    There are Adenium oleifolium and A. somalense with very narrow leaves. A. somalense has undulated/wavy leaf edges even!

Jordi

• caudex1
    15 years ago

I've gotten plants from Thailand before, took about 10days. Was surprised when they showed up so quickly. Had no certificate and being such a large box I expected it to be stopped at the boarder.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jordi, actually the only Adeniums I ever had were bought at Home Depot. 2 or so years ago I found a nursery on Ebay, their speciality, succulents. Sux were shipped bare root, prices, 7.99.. 7-9" tall. Each adenium had different color flowers. I have 20+ baby Adeniums and Crown of Thorns, but would have to check names via my journal.
    In the last year and a half I've taken interest in succulents, mainly Pachypodiums, Crassulas, Adeniums, and Euphorbias. And of course, Caudex. But still have a deep fondness for tropicals, too.
    So, I'm unfamiliar with 'Pure Natural Adenium Species.' I don't even know what they are..lol..sorry
    The two you mention sound beautiful, wavy leaves..whoee! Maybe one day..it's a matter of finding nurseries that sell these specimens. I'll Google the two you mentioned..you got my curious, hopefully Google will have pics and info.
    So, I'd never seen an Adenium with thin leaves..the only Adeniums sold here in Il are standard w/pink flowers..forget variegated..That's out.

Caudex, 10 days!! That is fast. I dont know if it's true, but someone told me if a package is sent overseas, and GIFT is written on the package, Customs doesn't check..It could be a rumor..
    I wonder how it works..If for some reason one of my packages are detained or destroyed, does Paypal reimburse? Plants were more than reasonably priced, but shipping was outrageous! Toni

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

Sorry, I had forgotten about this post, LOL...

Any ways, good luck with your Adenium seeds. I'm glad cactusjordi answered your question. That seed pod I got from my plant, I never did anything with. I don't know a thing about planting them or even how to. So Thanks to Jordi for the great explanation!

Good luck Toni and keep us updated...

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio