SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indianpaintbrush_gw

Idaho Wildflower & Native Plants

IndianPaintBrush
19 years ago

O`siyo Josh & folks on the Group Site!

Thank you Josh for posting to me and for also sending the link on the Daffodil Species and American Daffodil Society page! I appreciated that very much, & also appreciated all of your help & "tips" to me! Thanks! I did find the "Daffodil" that I was in question about,... the ones that were sent to me from the State of Kentucky! They are the "miniature Daffodil," known as "small talk" 1 Y-Y. (whatever that means! hee!) They are 1 1/2-inches in diameter & same descriptive divisions as the standard Daffodils, only with smaller blooms... These are the ones I am currently "drying & pressing." A lady I know in Kentucky is suppose to be sending me some of these "miniature Daffodil" bulbs later on, and I found that many of the folks there in Kentucky still refer to them as "Spring Buttercups!" These particular Daffodils have been around for hundreds of years there, and were grown by many of the first Settlers to the area. Wherever there was an old "Homestead" at one time, these Daffodils are still in growth where the foundations of the old Homesteads once stood! A great part of History for the Kentucky folks!

When the Kentucky folks first told me about "their Buttercups," I had in mind, the type of "field" Buttercups that use to grow in my native State of Montana... in which were a very petite, small, yellow flower that grew "wild" in the fields & Pasture land in Montana... We also have some around here too. They are quite "delicate," & hard to pick & try to "preserve."

Anyway... I am still waiting for my Microwave Flower Press to arrive via shipment,.. and the first thing I want to try with it, is our Wester "sage-brush" here. If you are interested Josh, I can always try to "dry & press" you some of our Sage from out West here and send it to you? I'd just need some "contact" info from you, in order to ship you some... if you would like some?? I'd be glad to do this for you anytime! Just let me know, ok?

And yes, here in our part of Idaho (we live in the Southeastern region) there is definitely a variety of "terrain, Mountains, Desert, & lush Woodlands," as we are right on the border of several different States-- such as Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, & Oregon. The area our Ranch sits on is mostly "Desert." We are also only a few hours drive from Sun Valley, Idaho, and also Boise, Idaho, not to mention... Salt Lake City, Utah!

Our terrain is definately "Desert," with so many unusual native plants & various Idaho Wildflowers! I am always so fascinated with much of what grows out in the wilds of the Desert floor around here.... One of the most intriguing things I like to do, is go out & dig some of the "Prickly-Pear" Cactus roots, and I have built myself a "Western Cactus" Garden with these "starts", & also lots of collected rocks & old "skeleton-looking" dead Juniper Trees, cow skulls, & whatnot! It's definately got a "Western decor`" look to it! If you want to see what these "Prickly-Pear" Cactus' out here look like Josh, just do a "google" search on them for our area-- They are gorgeous in the Spring & early Summer months, & bloom with some really neat flowers on them, in bright yellows, pinks, & sometimes reds! They are a "wicked" type of plant to try to "weed" around tho, because they have such sharp "daggers" & spikes.... very sharp thorns, to say the least!!

Living in the "Desert" region here, I think I mentioned before, that we have very dry & poor soil. There is much clay in it, and it gets as hard-as-a-rock in the Summer time. No matter how much fertilizer or water we use, I still have a hard time growing things in my flowerbeds & landscaping around the House area~ My husband is in the Fertilizer & Agriculture business, so he knows first-hand about all the "techy" type of chemicals & Fertilizers, but not much of it seems to help... no matter what he tries to do! So... my "green-thumb" turns a varied color in regards to some of my planting & growing abilities, to say the very least!!!

I had to laugh-my-head-off Josh, when you were telling me you thought I perhaps lived in a "high-rise Condo" in Boise, or somewhere! Boise, Idaho is a very attractive Town, and it has alot of neat foliage, Trees, and wonderful landscaping & yards... but, it also sits in the terrain of the "Desert," so it gets very, very hot & dry there in the Summer. I have floated the "Boise River" before, and that was quite an experience, along with seeing some spectacular "scenery" while cruising down that River! Of course, the Boise River flows down thru the middle of the City itself.... so there is a vast array of Trees & foliage to look at.

Thank you for the tips on using the zip-lock baggies for when I am doing my collectin of Wildflowers while out Camping & hiking Josh! Just for laughs here... I guess I have gotten really "Modernized," because we don't camp out in a "tent," but have a self-contained Camp Trailer, so sometimes are out over-night for 2 to 3 days at a time in the Mountains & such. This is why I could never figure out how to "preserve" any of my Wildflower cuttings & try to get them back home without them getting "ruined" first! I will try what you suggested about the baggies, the paper-towels, and a book for pressing, etc; I was wondering, if you thought it might be a good idea to maybe keep any Wildflower's I've picked, & keep them in our Refig (within baggies) in our Camp Trailer until we got home... or do you think that would be too "cold" on them?? (wondering.)

There is such a vast array of Idaho Wildflowers & native plants in our area, that it would probably take me a Year to try to name off so many! But like I say, I'm just starting to learn so many of the various names for many of them... I will post as I go along, especially with my "finds" this Spring & Summer, OK?

I'm glad you are enjoying a few searches on the State of Idaho Josh... it is quite different here, to say the very least, and the species of the plants & flowers we have here are inumerable! I can't wait to start collecting, drying & pressing, because this is something I've always wanted to do since I've lived here in Idaho!

Sooo, any good tips, suggestions, or advice from Readers on the GW forum here, would help me greatly, & also be much appreciated, at any time! Thanks for reading, & have a wonderful Easter!! wado` to all~

-in spirit,

~IndianPaintBrush~

Comments (10)

• Josh
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Indian Paint Brush, Would love to trade a few sprigs of GA plants for Sagebrush sample. But mostly I press foliage as this is my real interest...very few flowers. You may be surprised to learn that some of your native plants have "kinfolk" here; for example I've seen Prickly Pear in several places...also the edible fruit for sale at our Farmers Mkt. And I'm sure you have Yucca.

I'm not sure about refrigerating your plants (although florists of course do it). I almost always try and press immediately...just in newspaper if necessary, although I almost always have a book with me. Sometimes years later I'll find a pressed blossom or leaf when I reopen a book~~Smile. I've found that often a flower will close up quickly once clipped or start browning on edges or lose its form in some way...and also have read that the quicker the moisture is removed the better the retained color. I have a good site from the Missouri Botanical Garden which details how to prepare herbarium specimens "in the field"...I'll look it up & post later...maybe has a good hint or adaptable practice you could use.

Have you looked at the Natives Forum here...maybe a poster there from your area who knows good sites for id. There probably is a Native Plant Society in Idaho. I'd check on internet sites of any botanical gardens nearby, Universities with botany programs, your USDA county extension office might have booklets on natives at low cost. I'd want a good Field Guide for your region too.

I really envy you your "field trips"...but even on your own ranch it's probably surprising what tiny flowers you might find. I've been seeing a lot of tv news about how some of the deserts are blooming this year and often the flowers are dime-sized but exquisite. Would enjoy your posting some of your finds...maybe a wideshot of general landscape and then closeups of treasures you find there.

Just experiment and have fun...josh

• Josh
    19 years ago

Here's the MOBOT site...it's very detailed but their collectors go into the most inaccessible places, and unlike our collecting just for fun, it's their job...those specimens are expected to be around for hundreds of years.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know but I've just always enjoyed looking "behind the scenes". I always admired the herbarium specimens and detailed drawings which were crucial before photography, but even with photographs, today's botanists still use the herbarium material. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: MOBOT Herbarium Instructions

• Related Discussions

Can you tell me the name of this New York native wildflower?

Q

Comments (4)
    The Hepatica I usually find (Western NY State) are a pale blue but color can vary. The white you found are quite pretty. Here is a link to the NY Flora Atlas. Search for Hepatica for links to the species here. FataMorgana Here is a link that might be useful: NY Flora Atlas
    ...See More

HAVE: Native Wildflowers that need to be identified for me.

Q

Comments (2)
    Debi- I would love to help you identify your plants. I also live in zone 3 MN. (Brainerd). I believe I have most of what you describe, but would love to trade. How about Jack in the Pulpit? Please desribe this plant in more detail "Also a plant that gets to be 6-8 inches tall, leaved are not molted/spotted, I believe the flower is white or yellow, lots of these growing."
    ...See More

Seeking Jugs of Native Wildflower Seed

Q

Comments (3)
    Don't know of a source with the seed and filler mix, but two sources I've used for wildflower seeds are American Meadows (americanmeadows.com) and Everwilde Farms (everwilde.com). AM does sell wildflower mixes by region, so should have several tailored for the Northeast. I'm more familiar with EF as their varieties and quantity options are usually a better match for my urban lot projects. You'll have to pick seeds for your own mix if you want only perennials. Both firms should provide coverage estimates on their mixes to get to a cost for the area you're planning to seed. Edit - Forgot to add that not all AM mixes are 100% native and the EF native mixes probably are, but from an Upper Midwest (USA) perspective. Both do list the varieties used in each mix. Just noticed AM does now have a mix of NE native perennials and have linked it below. Here is a link that might be useful: Northeast native perennial mix (AM) This post was edited by bostedo on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 8:22
    ...See More

Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve - Native Plant Sale

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the heads up! I will probably head up there after I go to the Marth Washington Garden Club plant sale in Yardley - gotta maximize the gas since I am driving a truck so I can HAUL MORE PLANTS! LOLOLOLOL! Alexa
    ...See More
  • Josh
    19 years ago

Here's a great site on MO plants...probably similar to ID plantlife? josh

Here is a link that might be useful: MO Plants

• Josh
    19 years ago

And an even more helpful site on Montana plants. I'm supposing that some plants grow in Idaho too...at any rate I wish we had helpful sites like this for GA-AL. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Montana Plantlife

• IndianPaintBrush
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Whoa Josh!!! Gee, thanks for all the neat "links" you posted for me!! I was in reading last night for quite a length of time, & there is much info on alot of this stuff! Now, I'm not sure if Missouri's type of foliage & flowers are similar to ours here in Idaho, as I think they might "differ" a bit... mostly due to our Desert climate right in our area. The MOBOT Herbarium Instruction page was a "mind-blower," as it was some really in-depth reading, and I could go for hours on that one! Wow!

I was really glad to hear you know what "Prickly-Pear" Cactus' are, because they grow wild here, by the "scads," and alot of folks use them in their rock gardens & such. When roaming or hiking in the mountains or Desert areas around here, you really have to watch where you're stepping, because of the large groups of them that grow everywhere! I've even seen them growing right out of the tops of lava rocks around here... with no soil!!! Too bad I can't figure out a way to get the beautiful blossoms off of them to "press & dry!" (... that would be a real fiasco` though, because of how sharp they are!)

You had mentioned the "Yucca" Plant. That is one I am not very familiar with. I did try to grow some "Yucca" at one time out here, but as usual, I had no luck. It is just too dry on our Ranch here. I will have to ask around & see if folks grow any Yucca around here.

I have not navigated around on the Site much here yet, since I have been a Member, so haven't went into the "Native forum" yet... but will do that. Thanks.

You are right when you stated that right now, we should have a vast array of tiny flowers & things growing out in the Desert here on our Ranch. Always in the Spring time here in our area, everything of Nature is just loaded with many unusual Spring flowers & foliage. I am hoping to get out and pick some wild "Indian Paint Brush" to press & dry, that's for sure! This was something I wanted to do over the Easter week-end, but our weather was really stormy with alot of high gusts of Wind,... so I couldn't get out to do that.

I am like you Josh... not only do I like to attempt to press & dry "flowers," but I also like the foliage... alot of it, & am always so interested in dried "leaves" and such. "Moss" fascinates me too!! I was reading on some of the previous "links" you gave to me on various plants, & it was telling how to "skeletonize" leaves & such... That was quite interesting to me! (maybe something I'll have to try sometime, but realize it's also difficult to do.)

As far as me "trading" any plants from your area, I would be willing just to send you some of my Western "sage" foliage from out here... because that's all it is, is "leaves," but I would have to "press & dry" some first. Let me know what you think?

Thank you for responding & Posting Josh.. it's always good to hear from you, & I will be in reading more of the info in the "links" you sent to me as well. Take care, & I will anticipate hearing from you again~

Warmest regards,
    ~ IndianPaintBrush ~

• IndianPaintBrush
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank-you Sonshinepat!

I really enjoyed your feed-back here, & I also went into your Web Site, & loved looking at your Page... that was great! Thank you very much for your comments & the tips in your Post. I will contact you for further information, as I need all the help I can get, with being "new" to pressing & drying flowers & foliage.

Many blessings,
    ~ IndianPaintBrush ~

• halboye
    19 years ago

my wife and I will be travelling through Idaho along Interstate 15 in our motor home around the fourth week in May (~22-28). Are there any suggestions of places to photograph wildflowers near this route .. we can afford to take extra time. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated. This is our first glimpse of Idaho.

• Rosa
    19 years ago

IndianPaintBrush
    Although I like to press immediately as well, a full sized press is cumbersome with carrying water, and eveything else I take for collecting. What works really well for me is one of those "cold" keeper bags for Ice Cream and whatnot that you can get at the grocers or WallyWorld. At $3 a piece or so they are well worth it. They moderate the temps (especially midsummer) and keep some moisture in before pressing. I keep a frozen bottle or two of water in it when I start out. By the time I throw specimins in-the water goes in the fanny pack and the bag stays nice and cool.

Oh, and a pair of kitchen tongs works great for cacti flower collecting.

• IndianPaintBrush
    Original Author
    18 years ago

halboye~
    Sorry I'm so slow in my response to you, but hadn't been on the Group board here for quite awhile. I had a bit of problems with my ISP Service Provider here, & we also had many Power outages due to Spring Storms... thus, I got very behind in my emails & Computer Reading, so I'm trying to play "catch-up" right now!

Thanks for posting to me... Soooo, this will be your first trip to IDAHO? WOW-- if you get to the Southcentral or Southeastern part of Idaho, you will observe that there is much flat, "desolate-looking" areas here... so just pull off the side of the road at any Rest Stop Area, and take a "gander" out in the brush & open areas, & you might get lucky enough to see some neat little "Desert" type flowers that grow along the floor of the dry Earth---

At this time of year, there are so many unique little flowers that seem to spring up all over in the most amazing places. I like to get right down & "zoom-in" with my Camera on some of them! (as well as pick some for Pressing, etc; etc;...)

I do gurantee you, there won't be a shortage of "Sage-brush" for you to look at! This stuff is great for collecting little "sprigs" of, and if you dry it, you will find, it has a very pungent smell to it... most fascinating!

This is a good time for you to be traveling thru, because it gets very dry & hot here later on, and at this time of year, you will be avoiding the diamond-back Rattler's we have here! yikes!

Happy traveling... be Safe, & let me know how your trip goes!

Warmest regards,
    ~IndianPaintBrush~

• IndianPaintBrush
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello again Rosa!
    Thanks for your post & the many "tips" you gave in regards to "collecting," also out hiking and looking for flowers... gee, I never thought to use a pair of Kitchen thongs for the "prickly" cacti flowers!! Great idea!!

The "cold-keeper" bag for Ice Cream is an excellent idea too! Now I have more good ideas to go with, so maybe this will help me on some of my Camping "outings" this Summer for when I want to do some collecting...

Just wanted to tell you, thanks for all your help Rosa, it's greatly appreciated!

Hugs,
    ~ IndianPaintBrush ~

Sponsored