SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_brant

Online resources for pressed flower newbies?

Tracy Brant
16 years ago

I've made some dried flower wreaths in the past, but not worked much with pressed flowers. My kids and I pressed some flowers in an old phone book last year, and got very nice results with violets and violas.

We want to do more with dried flowers and leaves in the coming year. We thought we would collect flowers and leaves throughout the growing season, to have a big supply to make holiday cards and art gifts in the fall and winter.

I see there is no FAQ for this forum. Would folks mind posting some links to good resources for pressing techniques? We have questions like this:

We've been pressing flowers between paper towels in phone books. Is that that an OK method?

What are suggested ways to store pressed materials, but still be able to see what we have when it's time to use them?

What kinds of general materials should we have on hand when it's time to start make pressed flower art?

How do we press the bulkier flowers, like roses? We see them in other people's art, but we don't know how to press them nicely.

We hear that keeping autumn leaves is hard - they fade and turn brown. We've seen that even when we iron them between sheets of waxed paper. Is there a way to keep the brilliant color? We saw one artist that scanned the leaves and used the images instead of the leaves, which is interesting, too.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm