SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merrygardens

Which plants are reliably deer-resistant for you?

merrygardens
17 years ago

This summer deer made their way right up to my flower bed by the house and munched off the hosta--fortunately late in the season. But the foxgloves were untouched, as were astilbe, snapdragons, nicotiana alata and sylvestris. I appreciate the suggestion of carpet deodorizer in a recent post, and may use it for certain shrubs, but also would like to use plants that deer aren't interested in.

What are other suggestions for a list of reliably deer-resistant plants?

Comments (37)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

Keeping in mind that starving deer will eat anything, even if it is deadly, the following plants are highly resistant:

Hellebores, Acontiums, Daffodils, Chionodoxa, Scillas, Dodacatheons, Erythroniums, Arums, Arisemas, Lamiums and Lamiastrums, Pulmonarias, Cimicifugas (now Actaeas), Geranium maccrorhizum and the hybrids like Biokovo, Karmina, etc, (but NOT most Geraniums), Perovskia, Agastaches, Penstemons, Phlomis, Stachys byzantina, Irises, all ornamental grasses, peonies, Pardancandas, Artemisias, Malvas, Santolinas,Lavendars, Acanthus, Linum, most asters, usually Baptisias, Salvias.

There are others, but at this moment I can't think of them.

• herb_wi
    17 years ago

Among conifer trees, the only one here that deer leave alone are spruce. They eat up white cedar, balsam fir, red, white, and jack pine with gusto. Deer have totally wiped out the next generation of all those species in my woods. Spruce however continue to thrive.

• Related Discussions

Photo guide of deer-resistant plants?

Q

Comments (6)
    Just browsing here today, but I looked at your blog, Cameron. It looks wonderful! I'd like my yard to look something like that. I have a shady yard, but a big hickory tree has died, so there will be more sun when it's cut down. I've been looking for some evergreen foundation plants to put around my house and have come up with pieris, gaultheria (shallon), leucothoe, daphne and mahonia. I'll do some perennials once the foundations are in, perhaps in the fall. I already have spirea, potentilla, monarda and fothergill which are almost totally deer resistant around here. Thanks, Florrie
    ...See More

NOT deer-resistant plants

Q

Comments (9)
    George, I am living in an isolated land base that has allowed the deer population to exceed dangerous deer pop./per sq mile ratios in NE. One of the interesting concerns we are now facing is the deer are doing tremendous damage to the native plant population. That said the small current concession to the problem has been to add an addition week on to the hunting season. When I read your thoughts re gooseneck I wanted to suggest to you even if you appreciated the plant when it was not in flower it looks really raty after being deer pruned and will send energy to the root system to promote more deer food that can not only look raty but as you know be near to impossible to get rid of. If you are still on the fence re: this choice I will look through some old photo's to see if I can visually dis-wade you. kt
    ...See More

Are shrimp plants deer resistant?

Q

Comments (8)
    Good to hear the deer have not bothered your shrimp plants, Roselee. I have a red shrimp and a variegated shrimp plant, but they are in protected areas, so deer munching has not been a problem. Since it appears that deer may not be interested in them, I think I will try them in that bed. I have looked at the Lemon Sorbet variety and I think it's really pretty, so tomorrow I will go "shrimp plant shopping". Thanks. Molly
    ...See More

Deer munching deer resistant plants

Q

Comments (37)
    As evidence of deer intelligence. We hunted a ranch near San Saba where about 50 acres surrounding ranchers home was off limits. Deer only stared at us while in that pasture but not so if in the war zone. The lady put a cowbell on a buck which she had special attachment. Eventhough he would have been spared (unless hunter didn't believe what rancher said) ,we never once heard his bell outside that small pasture during season,,,,,except during rut. Can you imagine the campfire stories regarding what does thought about a lovesick buck with a bell on his neck? Come and get it was never mentioned.
    ...See More
  • bob64
    17 years ago

Now that I think about it, the deer have not been bothering the various species of Hollies we have. They also seem to be leaving alone the sassafras trees, tulip trees, and spice bush. They chew up rhodos, azaleas, mountain laurels and many deciduous trees. I have some pine saplings they have left alone so far but winter time often leads to all sorts of munching.

• nywoodsman
    17 years ago

All the invasive weedy shrubs that are taking over the woods around your house are deer resistent also,that's what makes them so successful, but I wouldn't advise planting them.Deer resistance is not always a good criteria for choosing what plants to plant.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

Highly resistant shrubs include Buddleia, Caryopteris, Callicarpa sp., Pieris, Kerria.

• merrygardens
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks very much for these suggestions! Very helpful.

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

The only thing they leave totally alone is bamboo. They've even eaten my daffodils as they come up, which ruins the flowers. They leave most herbs alone, iris, wisteria, hawthorne and thuja (when they are bigger). I use sticks to protect my little plants from those vermin. They love to eat roses too.

• DYH
    17 years ago

I am reporting on my experiences in my gardening blog that I've just started.

Here is a link that might be useful: deer-resistant

• jabee
    17 years ago

I finally have to jump in here. What might be resistant in Maryland or West Virginia is not neccessarily resistant in Michigan.

What might be resistant in your yard may not work three blocks away. The density of the deer population, time of year and weather all play a part in what deer will eat.

Basically the more "smelly" and textured a plant is the more resistant it will be. This is why herbs tend to work as well as some hollies. You can also look at ornamental grasses since (ironically) deer don't feed on grass but on forbs.

The link below will give you some ideas on deer "proofing" your garden but don't count on the plant list to be of much help.

Best luck-

Here is a link that might be useful: Hill Country Gardens-Oh, Deer!

• caladiumbulbs4less
    17 years ago

Caladiums are deer resistant

• dacooolest
    17 years ago

Absolutely nothing except Castor Beans were excempt from the local deers wrath, including daffodils, Yuccas, Nicotiona, every ornamental grass, and everything else, inculding all things that are poisinous and spiny.

• dkrose333
    17 years ago

Here is a good article from TAMU website.

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/deer.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer in the Urban Landscape

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

Dacoolest, I've had deer eat my castor plants. We need land mines here to keep the deer away.

• muskoka77
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    Well I am up in Canada in deer moose and rabbit country. We use a product called plantskydd and it does work. 'Plantskydd Repellent is a 100% natural product developed in Sweden in 1991 in response to commercial forest plantations being decimated by deer, moose and rabbits. The forest industry needed an animal repellent that could last through severe weather and meet Sweden's strict environmental laws' I am not sure where you get this elsewhere but here is a link for where we buy it and maybe that will help you.

Also, I plant garlic and marigolds helter skelter through my flower and vegetable gardens and use the plantskydd on all perimeter entry areas of the beds and garden plots. Of course I have no scientific back up for this part of my effort :) just my grandmother!
    Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: stop deer,rabbits,moose

• patrickgardener
    16 years ago

Everyone has mentioned good deer resistance plants and I concur. What I wanted for my very steep north facing front yard was a landscape design that took your breath away. I have found that focusing on contrasting LEAF COLOR with what is resistant has made my garden a spot that the neighborhood stops and points to. Plant in BIG - yes really big- sweeps, considering heights and adjaciencies. Consider a limited color pallete. Chartruse is imperative to brighen a dark spot: Bacopa golden pearls, Helichrysim, cream Phornium. Silver: lambs ear,silver Society Garlic, Coast Rosemary. I could go on with my plant list but you get the idea: Contrast color of the leaf in big mounds. As for soil I built curving dry stone walls (with really cheap poor stone) to create level spots, and I poured over 400 cubic feet of soil - not so cheap. I tucked in succulents into the dry stone walls. If you have deer, at least give the plants soil! Seriously, soil, forest mulch, regular watering, and organic fertalizing is key to a fantastic deer garden, so go overboard if you want it to look amazing. Now, I invite the deer families (some would consider roving hords) to come by and have a drink at a fountian that I created from a large cast cement bowl that has a pump connected to a timer. I do not use deer repellents. My neighors have either given up on their front yards here in the hills of Mill Valley Ca, perfering to erect tall fences at the road, or do very little. YOU CAN BEAT THE DEER, but I had to learn through truely heartbreaking trial and error. I ripped out my first attempts over three years as I was still focused on flowering plants for color. Once I got it, "OK" I would say , "I get it, this is not working and this is not well designed", you can move on to the next step, creating a landscape design that is both friendly to these amazing creatures, with out hating them, and create something that is visually satifying, resistant, and deals with shade.
    Patrick

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Rosemary, Lantana, Salvias, Copper Canyon Daisy, Zexmenia

They love: Roses, Pansies, Impatiens, Purple Coneflowers

I use a product called Deer Off on my roses. The poster above is correct, you never know what they will eat. They have never eaten the first five plants I have listed (in my Austin garden on the Barton Creek greenbelt).

• bluckow
    16 years ago

would like to know if the following are deer-resistant plants: blue Lyme Grass, threadleaf coeopsis(zagreb), and
    royal purple smoke tree---?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    16 years ago

They don't seem to like my stand of helleborous (lenten rose).

Annette

• tyhawk
    16 years ago

Repeating a post I made on another thread. I have had great luck with Deerout and a motion detecting sprinkler. I bought a motion detecting floodlight and wired in a 24 volt transformer that went to a standard irrigation valve and then to one or more impact sprinkler heads. You can buy a motion detecting sprinkler on line but they are more expensive and less durable than making one. They also dont have lights. Now the deer dont come in my yard even if its off. Im training them I guess

Here is a link that might be useful: Deerout

• agertz
    16 years ago

Interesting thread!

1. The blog by wonbyherwits is lovely - go visit.
    2. I miss Muskoka. God's country. Can't beat that Canadian Shield landscape.

3. Last night, our deer ate the May Night Salvia right down. They also took out most of the larkspur, heuchera, pincushion flowers, and some sort of generic daisy.

The only things they've never touched are marigolds, snow crystal allysum, millet grass, ribbon grass, and dusty miller. Everything else is fair game.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

Ive had very good success with deer out.Its mostly natural ingredients

• woodsie1
    16 years ago

Hi, We've planted Viburnum (Cardinal Candy), the new Limelite hydrangea, both of which are supposed to be deer resistant but the deer are eating them both. We are now spraying those plants.
    We also have Thuja Green Giant trees, Andromeda, Juniper shrubs and Charles Joly Lilacs, all of which the deer are avoiding (so far). They graze amongst the Green Giants and never touch them, even during our cold winter weather.
    The Andromeda is in shade, only get sun for about 1 hour a day, doing very well. They are poisonous however, and must be planted in an area which is removed from children and pets.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Agertz -- thanks for the compliment. I recently updated my blog report on deer. I've listed the plants in my outer garden that are protected only by a 32" high flimsy wire edging that deer can easily jump. Since I updated the blog a few days ago, I'm finding more bunny damage than deer damage. However, it's just a few rudbeckia and gaillardia.

Here is a link that might be useful: updated deer report

• rosemary_ny
    16 years ago

In the coldest part of last winter, I watched two deer enter my yard. They were hungry and one had an injured ankle. There was little visible to snack on and I was curious as to what they would choose. They toured the yard munching even on the bare branches of deer resistant shrubs. I watched as one approached the Microbiota decussata which I had planted around the edge of the patio. He took a bite, shook his head violently, jumped backwards a foot and went on to something else. They finally settled on arborvitae as the most desirable of what was available. This is just an observation and not scientific. Also, my deer are not as voracious as some, mostly because I don't believe our population has reached that point. You might want to add this low growing shrub to the resistant list.

• titania3
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if Shasta daisy is sufficiently stinky to keep deer away from other plants? Anyone with experience using this plant?
    Thanks.

• Karen L
    16 years ago

Deer here hate Shastas. But they reseed like crazy....

I haven't used them to screen other plants.

• bluebars
    16 years ago

Maryland - Shasta Daisys (blooming) were ignored right next to perennial black-eyed-susans which were literally mowed down (just before blooming) in one garden. On the other side of the house, both were mowed down to the ground; both were JUST before buds opened; I think they prefer the young greenery. Once the flowers are open, they might be safer from deer.
    Really pointy hollies they leave alone (so far) but any hollies without the stickers, they eat them, especially new growth.
    Invasives? They ate a fence full of Virginia Creeper, but only on one side of the fence--of course, the side we get to look at.
    Daffodils? They don't eat them, just bite off the buds and spit them out. Hyacinths have been untouched.
    Marigolds? They just pull them out of the ground, then spit them out to dry up and die.
    Forget about the hydrangeas and daylillies.
    I've seen them eat the neighbor's barberry bushes, thorns and all. My barberries, they just step on and break.
    Iris goes untouched. Coral bells survive some nibbling. Periwinkle groundcover survives unless they pull it out.
    Most of my neighbors have arborvitae--there's a contest for the best "deer topiary."
    I'm trying some ferns now, some wild from our woods, some purchased. The nursery had a sale for "a buck a piece" but I hope that doesn't mean they are FOR the bucks. I know, lame joke.
    Motion activated lights? The deer look happier, oh thank you, now they can see what they are eating!
    Motion activated water? Oh, thank you, what a nice bath.
    Motion activated sound? Oh, thank you, piped in music. Barking dogs? Oh, don't worry, they can't get out.
    Coyote urine? Oh, just eat around it, there are starving children in the next county.
    My hairdresser gave me a bag of hair cuttings to try. One of her customers swears by it. Didn't help my poor hydrangea, though. Maybe I'll try tying little mesh bags full. The hydrangea has become the "deer test" for many supposed deterrents. None have worked so far.
    BlueBars

• krazy_karma
    16 years ago

I'm getting ready to start a Victoria Ceanothus hedge in my yard not far from the road. I supposed they probably love that stuff, huh?

• jabee
    16 years ago

Thanks, bluebars. Both for the information and the laughs!

• DYH
    16 years ago

lavender, nepeta, lantana, buddleia, rosemary, thyme, sage, agastache, monarda, coreopsis. I keep my blog (follow My Page link) updated with my experience with the local deer herd.

• flowers_in_va
    16 years ago

and Zinnias. They don't eat my Red Hot Poker, Salvia, Coreopsis, Feverfew (invasive), foxgloves, cleome, or my ornamental grasses, either. They will munch on Monarda, but typically leave it alone.

What they don't eat the rabbits do! Ugh.

• alifeyl
    16 years ago

I'm new here (usually on home forums) but found this thread interesting because of the regional differences. I'm in Oregon, and our deer leave rhodies, camellias, pieris, lavender, rosemary, lobelia, impatiens, iris, teucrium, nandina and most geraniums alone. But they've eaten coreopsis, daylilies, asters, ceanothus, hardy fuschia, euonymus, and even salvia. Roses, tulips and hosta I wouldn't even try! Last week my neighbor said they ate some marigolds!
    Ali

• DYH
    16 years ago

Ali -- I'm trying to think of a way to capture all of this data from the forum so that it's easy to read. I'm willing to use space in my gardening blog (My Page links) to generate a list if we can figure out a good way to list plants by region. I usually have the worst damage on evergreen shrubs in February when the food source has dwindled. I'm actually finding lots of perennials to use in the summer garden. The deer walked through last night and all they nipped were the roses that come through the fenced area. They didn't eat anything in the outer garden last night.

Cameron

• Earthurb
    10 years ago

I live in So Cal, in the hot valley. The one sure fire plant that my deer refuse to feast upon is lavender. So, I've got lavender where my rose bed used to be, in the front, back, the side yard. It's actually a great shrub and comes in many different varieties--low mounding, compact, with long or short spires. A definite thumbs up for deer prone California.

I've also had great luck with the margarita plant (Portulaca grandiflora). I planted a yellow one last fall and was waiting for it to disappear, but it never did. So I planted more, in numerous colors like maroon, pink, white. It really has been crazy deer-proof. It's a mounding bush that grows up to 3x3. Makes a great foundation setting for an annual garden.

Good luck.

• User
    10 years ago

Deer will NOT eat the following...

rosemary
    Lavender
    Bay laurel
    magnolia
    Skimmia japonica
    Hardy Opuntia cacti
    Iris
    Yucca
    Bleeding heart
    Paeonies
    Figs
    Crape myrtle
    Bamboo
    Any ornamental grass
    Any fern
    Inkberry holly (usually leave any holly alone)
    Butterfly bush
    Palms
    Boxwood
    Most herbs
    Day Lilly
    Columbine
    Japanese forest grass
    Lilac
    Coreopsis
    Russian sage
    Dusty miller
    Ice plant
    Pieris japonica

• seydoux
    10 years ago

Which evergreens are deer resistant and can stand black walnuts? We really want to screen the road. I also don't want to put diner right next to the road and get someone killed. Size is no problem.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals