SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

I'd Rather Be Weeding

Nell Jean
15 years ago

DH has hauled off four little truckloads of Prunings, and I'm not nearly finished.

Among the shrubs to get haircuts:

Gene Boerner roses, a floribunda that left to its own devices grew 6 feet tall. I cut out one old cane from each bush, which removed the requisite 1/3 and many canes that were crossing others, opening up the middles. Further pruning can come with the first blooms, in the guise of cutting bouquets.

Carefree Delight Rose. This has to have been a tongue-in-cheek name. Great thorny limbs growing every which way, including straight up and horizontally. Even the puppy got caught under this one. I finally just whacked back everything that will grab He-who-mows as he cruises past and left the straight up middles to make a rose tower of a sort. Some metal posts are called for, here.

Boxwoods. Not nearly finished with the first stage of pruning, which includes leaving a facade for viewing from the front while the nekkid backside grows foliage on old overgrown shrubs. I prune a few and move on to some other chores for a while. I cut out an access to the telephone box which DH has to access on occasion to determine if our phone troubles are outside (telephone company's responsibility) or inside. Most of the boxwoods here are more than 35 years old and cannot be parted with until I can't prune any more. I do take liberties to prune some of them into shapes. There's a row of 4 or 5 that have grown tall that I may clip into a topiary of a horse, or a cow, or some indeterminate critter, when I finally reach that spot. There's another row that surround a canopy of wisteria, now in bud. I have to think about that bunch. I've already removed the former arch that was too much of a good thing, reaching for the cedar tree.

Loropetalum. I had to learn the growth pattern of loropetalum. You can't just bob them back, they grow in every direction and limbs criss-cross one another. I am very satisfied with three that I see from my kitchen windows that are now pruned as trees. I pruned out wild limbs that were interfering with the G.B. roses in another bed.

Crape myrtles. The young crape myrtles prune easily, just cut off new growth smaller than a pencil. Old crapes are yet to prune and will need a ladder.

Some plants that died back have been cut back and the dead limbs snipped into short pieces and left to protect plants from the next, inevitable killing frost.

The grapevines must be pruned. I've tried to 'Tom Sawyer' DH into this chore, but he didn't fall for my ruse.

The Azaleas get to wait until late April, after that glorious bloom is over. Some of them are going to be cut to the ground for a makeover.

So, tell us about your pruning adventures.

Nell

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County