SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Tangerine fruit question

18 years ago

What causes the dry spots/sections in tangerine fruits? I picked a green Dancy today(supposed to be ripe Dec-Feb) and it already had dry spots in the fruit. I know color is not a good indicator of ripeness in S. Florida, so I decided to pick one of the nice sized fruits. It felt rather light in my hand. Not dense like a grapefruit. About a third of it was inedible because of the dry areas in the sections.

My oldest Tangerine tree (variety unknown) has shockingly bright-orange, heavy, juicy fruit that have no dry spots. This is the first time in at least 8 years that it has had such colored-up fruit. They usually stay greenish. All the trees were badly beaten by hurricanes in the past two years. I have no idea why this one tree is so flashy this year(G).

Am I picking to early or too late as far as the dry fruits? A watering problem? The Dancy is potted, the others are in the ground. I have only tried the two types so far, but have eaten lots of the unknown ones in the past month. They do not have a zipper skin like the Dancy. I have Murcotts and Satsumas - have not picked them yet, they don't look or feel ready.

I've seen the dry, ligher colored areas in purchased fruit too before. How can this be prevented?

Lisa

Comments (7)