SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silvios_gw

Potted Lemon tree dropping fruit.

Silvios
13 years ago

I have a lemon tree that I have potted in an 18" pot that I have for about 2 years. This is the 3rd time that it has fruited and each time they fall off. The fruit usually stay on the tree for about a month but eventually fall off. I haven't fertilized it because the nursery that I bought it from said not to for the first 2 years. I would be starting to fertilize it this coming spring. In the summer it stays on a covered deck getting direct sun light in the afternoon and evenings, and it's watered on a daily basis. In the winter I keep it in the basement with 6 4 foot T5's mounted about a foot above it, and it's watered on a weekly basis. It blooms and fruits during both "seasons" and both times they drop. It usually produces about 20+ fruit.

I have some idea's as to why this happens but not sure. I am thinking that the fruits drop because it's not fertilized so it doesn't have the nutrients to support them. I also think that this might happen because of the change in light and watering. I was hoping that somebody here might have some experience with this and might have answers. This is the first lemon tree I have dealt with so I am clueless about how to find out whats wrong with it. It suffered from spider mites but they are all gone. Only my brother know what he used to kill them off. In any case it recover and did well, it was after they were killed that it bloomed and fruited.

Comments (15)