SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Cucumis sp. Sudan and Melothria scabra: Tuberous cucurbits??

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

I'm looking for information about two Cucurbits: Cucumis species Sudan and Melothria scabra.

I bought seeds of Cucumis species Sudan from J.L. Hudson for the ornamental fruit and possibly as an interesting caudiciform. Here's J.L. Hudson's description of the plant and a picture of the very cool-looking fruit (it's monoecious!):

"Odd monoecious vine from Sudan, with large tuberous roots, and showy, prickly fruits. Aged seed germinates in 2 - 4 weeks, fresh seed needs GA-3 to germinate in 1 - 3 months."

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/images/imagesC/Cucumis%20sp.%20Sudan.jpg

When I bought the seeds the description only indicated the 1-3 months with GA-3, which I didn't have; I assumed if I planted seeds now they would hopefully germinate by Spring. So I was pleasantly surprised when 9/10 germinated in 4-8 days. I have been able to find very little info on this. Suggestions have been made that this is Cucumis carolinus, however the description I found of this species suggest 3-lobed leaves whereas the photo shows 5-lobed leaves. The fruits are very similar (C. carolinus may have shorter spines). Any experience or knowledge of this plant--growth habits, fruiting, tuber, etc. would be appreciated.

Melothria scabra on the other hand is a reasonably available plant that goes by a number of names--Mexican sour gherkin is one. It gets small edible fruits that look like watermellons. Some descriptions claim it's an annual, others a perennial with a round tuber. Birhmann has a listing on his site. So I'm curious about all of this and again growth habits, tuber etc.

http://bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/mel-sca-sub.asp

For both of these I'm wondering if the size of the vine can be constrained to 5-6 feet (or smaller), will they produce fruit, can they be grown in pots, and whether they are potentially caudiciforms.

Comment (1)

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm tired of this being at the top of the forum if nobody can answer it--for a month now. It seems that you can "bounce" things down by giving them at least one response, so I'll do that.

Since I posted this I've seen pictures of a fruit raised from J.L. Hudson's seeds that is indistinguishable from that of Cucumis carolinus. I take that as settling the ID question. Cucumis species Sudan is Cucumis carolinus.

If you can answer the other questions, please do, of course.