SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

New Desert Rose cutting!

I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful holiday!

This past weekend I went to a small Bonsai shop which had more than I thought! Oh I was in heaven, I bought a Bohdi Tree (very small to turn into bonsai in the future) and Hindu Rope.

I wondered, since I was at a Bonsai store, where trimming is essential, would they be willing to give me cuttings? So I asked and they gave! :D I got an 8 or 9 in cutting from a desert rose that looked "unpleasing" in their opinion. There are no leaves on the clipping; it pretty much looks like an asparagus without the rippled top.

I have let the end that was cut callous over, what do I do next? I've wanted this plant for a while now and don't want to mess anything up.

Thank you and have a happy new year!

Ashley

Comments (21)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Happy New Year, Ashley! It's good to see you posting again!

Congrats on the new acquisitions, too. Hoya and Ficus?
    (Is that the tree under which Buddha received enlightenment? It should make a great bonsai!)

I haven't grown Desert Rose, but I know that there are a few experts here...Randy, Keith (Caudex), Tom Termine, Martin, and Gill (Greenclaws?)...and a few others that I've no doubt missed.

Josh

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Josh! It sure is the same tree! I hope that I will have the same luck ;)

I know its been a while, I thought work was going to lighten up but I was wrong...busy as a bee.

I'm not sure if the Bohdi Tree is a Ficus or not but I will be on the tree forum (and Hoya forum) now with my little questions.

I hope to hear from them and any one else with a comment or advice soon!

Ash

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Ashley, congrats on your new plants. I have a large and small DR but I've never rooted a DR cutting before successfully before, so I won't be any help to you. I've tried rooting some a couple of years ago from my plant and failed miserably,lol. I'll let the experts give you the correct advise. Good luck! Happy New Year to everyone!!

• prayerrock
    14 years ago

Ashley you can pot up the DR in a very well draining soil of at least half perilite. I use a mix of miracle grow potting soil, perilite and aquarium gravel or pea gravel.

When you pot it up dont water t till you see signs of new growth..then just water very sparingly. It may stay dormant for the winter dont know. Bt in the colder months they do not need much water at all. A cutting will not give you a caudex like a seed grown plant will but if cared for proper and the right conditions are met it will give you nice blooms in time.

I am learning about these wonderful plants myself and am in the process of growing 24 cute little seedlings. Also have some I got from a wonderful grower on this forum...and one big one a lady gave me that I cant wait to see flower next year.

Let us know how it goes for you ok.

blessings,
    Mary

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pug, sorry to hear about your cutting not making it, but at least you still have 2 beautiful plants! :)

Thanks for the help Mary!

Here are some photos of DR cutting... :)

Cutting after I let it callous over...

Close up of the cut end (not in focus, sorry)

Here is the cutting in its pot. I've placed it by a window that gets bright morning sun (east facing window)

It appeared that before it was cut the top was starting to grow a new left but its still so small its just a green numb on top. ;)

Do you think that the pot is to small? If so, what size pot should I move it to? Also, I've not watered it and won't until I see new growth.

Thanks
    Ashley

• dav4vid
    14 years ago

Is that bark mulch I see in that pot? If so, you need to re-pot without anything that will retain moisture. You are in danger of root rot with bark mulch.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    14 years ago

Hi -

Looks like you got what you needed on the DR cuttings. Though I do grow a couple of A. Arabicum and Obesum, I have not done so from cuttings myself.

Also, your Bohdi Tree is another name for Ficus Religiosa - I grow ficus benjamina and microcarpa...I included a link for your information. There are many books to be had on the subject, too.

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus Information

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

David, its not bark mulch. Its Al's soil-less gritty mix. This drains well and keeps its structure without retaining water. Plus, once I get the pests out of my other plants with soil I'll have not pest problem. This soil is great!

Tom, I'm not sure what type my DR actually is. I'll probably have to wait until it blooms or I could go back to the same store and ask the variety. Thanks a bunch for the link! I'm gunna check it out as soon as I'm done with this. :)

I'm kinda stuck right now with what I want to do with my Bohdi tree. I want to thinken the trunk and turn it into a bonsai but I also want to try and grow it large. What are your ficus trees like?

Ashley

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Congrats on the new plants! Great score.
    It's always a battle at our house with potential bonsai. I bring home a plant, he eyes it for bonsai, it's a rush to see who gets it first. I buy two now. We usually sink the plant pot and all in the garden if it's going to be a bonsai, that way it can develop without the roots getting too out of hand, lift it a couple of times a year to trim back roots, trim top growth as needed. Ficus make great bonsai. I love to look at them but they are too much work for me.
    Tally HO!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Howdy, again!
    Check this link by Randy (rjj1) on a cutting-grown Adenium. There's a link to pics in the first post.
    I'm not sure what Randy's up to these days, but he'd be my go-to guy if I were considering an Adenium.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting Grown Adenium

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beach, thanks for the advice on the root cutting and lift. I've been worried to cut roots but i'll have to get use to it if I want to make this a great bonsai someday.

Josh that link was great! Randys DR is spectacular. I'm so glad to see how is root system turned out, since I'll be staring mine from a cutting as well I now know that even though I can get a cuadex I can still get a breath takeing root system! :)

Thanks again for the ficus link Tom, I knew that the tree needed light but was sure of the amount. I'll keep it in my window until spring and then outside it goes! :)

Ashley

• rjj1
    14 years ago

Ashley,

I seriously doubt a dormant piece of adenium will root in the off season. But it doesn't hurt to try, does it? Good luck with it.

Dav4vid,

Is your dislike of bark based on experience in using it in a mix for adenium? I've had friends repeat that myth to me on occasion. I planted about 1000 adenium in 100% composted fine pine soil conditioner some years ago because of lack of funds to buy the other ingredients needed for my mix. A pic of a small seedling blooming in that vile ingredient. :-)

{{gwi:474859}}

{{gwi:474862}}

barkman

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Ashley, I didn't have anything to with it, did I?..lol

Isn't it heaven!!

And not a knat to be found in my Bonsai shop..lol

Mike

• TT, zone 5b MA
    14 years ago

Hi Ashley -

Only because you asked, one of my Ficus Microcarpa...

Tom

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very NICE Randy and Tom...what a pretty little DR. I also love Pine bark and or Fir bark. It's one of the ingredients in all my container potting mix.

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barkman yours has such a pretty color and such big flowers for the small stem :) How did you aquire it? Seed, cutting, bought?

If it stays dormant, do you think that it will root in the spring? I also have a candle warmer that I use under my plants to warm the base up just a bit, it gets really warm so I only leave it on for a couple of minutes. Will this possibly promote root growth? (tricking it in to thinking its warmer.) Good idea?

Great Ficus Tom! I love the curve of the trunk and the roots are wonderful! Thanks for sharing. :)

Mike, Mike, Mike....yes you did! Haha ;) It will be wonderful once it roots ;)

Ashley

• kaktuskris
    14 years ago

Ashley:

I cut a lanky Desert Rose seedling of mine in half, hoping to promote stouter growth in the main plant, and get a cutting in the bargain, but my cutting lingered for a few weeks without rooting, then shriveled and died. Don't know the key to get Adenium cuttings to root. Wish you better luck.

Christopher

• rjj1
    14 years ago

Ashley,

Adeniums are not that easy to root from cuttings during the growing season from a plant pushing growth. During winter with a dormant piece of wood is more than a challenge. Some might say a waste of time.

The plant in the photos was from seed.

Seedman

• prayerrock
    14 years ago

Randy..love the adenium seedling...about how old would you say that seedling is? Its small yet blooming. I am just curious.

blessings,
    Mary

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seedman, thanks for the advice on how hard it will be to root. Hopefully I'll have good luck with this but if not then I'll just go to the shop where I got the cutting from and buy a DR plant.

Wish me luck!

Ash

• wendylynne
    14 years ago

I have never been successful with plants. My cousin gave me two DR because she said they are extremely difficult to kill. My one plant is doing well, the other had a catepillars on it and from then on has struggled. The leaves are brown and the branches appear soft, but the root is hard. How do I cut back the branches? I apologize if I am not using the correct terminology. I am new at this.