SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melliebelle_gw

Orange Trees for the Totally Clueless - Mini Oranges??

Melliebelle
13 years ago

Hello, all! I found this group after a web search to identify a type of orange tree. You guys seem to certainly be the experts!!

My fiance's grandmother has a fruit-bearing miniature orange tree that he absolutely adores. The tree is grown in a pot that stays outside during nice weather, and is brought back in during the cold (even though this is GA, we dip below freezing quite a bit).

The fruit is small - about the size of a table grape - and looks just like an orange. It is sectioned, has seeds, but is as sour as a lemon - like turn-your-face-inside-out sour. :)

A few people in his family have attempted to grow their own from seed from this tree, and they can get a nice, good-sized tree, but they never bear fruit.

I have some seeds now, which I washed and let dry on napkins. I was planning to plant them and try my luck - any tips or hints for making these produce fruit? I know that my fiance's grandmother won't be here much longer, and these oranges are a common bonding point for the two of them. I'd just like him to have something to remember her by.

Any help would be appreciated. As this will be my first attempt at propagating citrus, I'm going to need it!!

Comments (7)