SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlbartley_gw

Windbreak/Privacy Hedge with Narrow space - need advice

jlbartley
11 years ago

I would like to plant mainly a windbreak hedge on the West side of my house. I have a space where there is about 23ft between my house and the lot line but I don't want the trees/plants to grow over the lot line and we have a septic tank within this space.

I've been looking at some arborvitae and juniper and trying to figure out what to plant. Our soil is a decent top soil with clay a foot or so down. It is not a really heavy clay. I would love to be able to plant white spruce or something similar in this area but don't really have room for it. I tend to like arborvitae and juniper that look more like a pine tree than just a straight stick or a rounded bush.

I'm having trouble differentiating between the different types. Some that have appealed to me are:

Emerald Arborvitae

Juniper Virginiana, Mannhattan Blue

Hillspire Juniper

Medora Juniper

I struggle because when I look online sometimes I like the pictures of some of them and other times I hate the pictures of some of them. I don't know if I'm seeing the right kind of plant listed under these names or not.

Do you think that these would work ok with what I'm trying to do? Again, I would really like something that looks more like an evergreen tree (spruce or fir) than a shrub.

Will these possibly interfere with the septic tank that they will be next to?

Comments (5)