SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktutak

Help! Getting grass to grow in high traffic areas...

ktutak
17 years ago

I need some advice. First some history. We have a nice fenced backyard....also we have 3 young children and a fairly rambunctous dog. We have a large area in our back yard that is just dirt, no grass...partially from getting a concrete patio poured last year and partially from the trafic. You can imagine how muddy it gets back there when it rains, then that mud comes in the house. So we need a solution.

We want to plant some grass or lay some sod to help cover that area...but the main problem is we need to have use of our backyard. So we can't just have it off limits for the summer while the grass takes root...also it would be hard to just block that off as it basically blocks the yard off at the edge of the patio.

So I guess my question is...what is a good grass to plant for high traffic? Is there a fast growing one? Also how long would we have to keep traffic off of it? OR do you think a laying sod and stacking it down woud be a solution?

Any other suggestions for a walkable ground cover (excluding rocks or mulch as the dog digs those up like crazy) would be appreciated.

Help! I am sick of muddy dog and kids!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!