SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Hi! New to the Forum!

jodik_gw
14 years ago

Hello! I'd like to introduce myself, being new to the Cacti & Succulents Forum...

My name is Jodi, and I garden both indoors and out in zone 5b, Central Illinois. I currently grow mainly Hippeastrum bulbs and other Amaryllids, plus a few Orchids, indoors... and roses and loads of perennials outdoors... but I'd really like to grow an Adenium and learn more about the few cacti and succulents I do have.

I usually hang out over at the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum and at the Container Gardening Forum, but I'd like to add this one to my daily visits, as well.

So... I thought I'd say "hello" before I began posting a lot... just so everyone knows who I am!

Comments (18)

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Hi Jodi!
    I'm an off-on-off-on to the cactus forum. Have a thing for prickly things. :) I have a couple of friends that meet at one of the swaps every year and we swap our attack plants. Everyone else thinks we're nuts cause we get excited about spines.
    You know what I grow.
    Tally HO!

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

HI Jodi,
    Welcome!
    So glad to see you made it over here!!

It's a great place to be, you'll learn so much here!

JoJo

• Related Discussions

Hi, new to the forum-where to begin?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi shazaam, thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for!
    ...See More

hi, new to forum

Q

Comments (6)
    I'd like to mail you some must-haves that are easy to grow. Email me soon. And a tip: we all usually add our state abbreviation to our zone box on our member info page so members can find each other by state. This way, lots of us find local garden buddies to trade plants in person and to give local growing tips and resources. A great resource for me going on 12 years or so now. Welcome! Robin in NC Here is a link that might be useful: trade list
    ...See More

New To The Forum - Need Help

Q

Comments (13)
    Hey, I clicked on your profile to see if it says where you are, and I see zone 10B but it's not showing up next to your name when you post. The next time you post, if you type 10B in the zone box right above where you type, it should "stick" and then show up next to your name in subsequent posts. How much sun has your plant been getting? It needs more, but I don't know if this plant can burn if suddenly thrust into significantly more light, which I'm sure you have in abundance most days in 10B. Hopefully someone can advise you on the best way/time frame to get it back to some stronger light without doing more harm than good.
    ...See More

Hi, new to this forum

Q

Comments (1)
    Welcome to the Iowa forum :) I'd suggest checking out the lawn care forum. You'll get lots more specific information. Plus our lawn is slowly being taken over by clover now - I'm not the person to ask ;)
    ...See More
  • jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Ladies! Tally, always a pleasure to see you... and JoJo, I'm hoping to learn a lot about succulents and "spiny things"!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Jodi, this is great forum. I don't do Cacti(not a big fan of the thorns,lol)except the Christmas/Thanksgiving Cactus those I like a lot. I love Jades/Succulents and I have a couple of Adeniums. You've come to the right place to hang out. Lots of great knowledgeable people here that's willing to help. Welcome!

• anya_101
    14 years ago

Hi Jodi, welcome to the forum! I too live in central Illinois, East Peoria. I have been around here so long yet "most" people in this forum are unaware of...LOL
    I do not post but very rarely, but I do read each & every day. I never stop learning. I have some Adenium, cacti, succulents, a green house full this time of year. : )

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Anya, Peoria is not too awfully far away... I'm between Champaign and Decatur, although originally from north of Belvidere!

Spiny cacti aren't my favorites, but I do love some of the succulents!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Howdy, Jodi! Welcome aboard!

My favorite succulents are Crassula, and Crassula ovata varieties in particular.

I don't grow spiny cacti, but I do have one large Christmas Cactus and one small Euphorbia.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hi Jodik...Have I met you before? :-)

I am so glad to see you here on the wild and prickly side..

I have a huge interest in Jade. In fact, it was this place that helped me to become even better at growing them, and "Norma" who cast a wonderful magic spell on my variegated one..

I was handed tons of succulents from friends recently. Some as gifts, some out of generousity, and some who didn't want theirs anymore, sort of like a succulent shelter..
    I didn't even know how to spell "succlante" till I joined here..

You will learn so much, and I am so honored to be hanging out with you here too!

Oh yes, I also have a few "holiday" cactus, but working on getting a true "Christmass" one..Have you seen Josh's..WoW

As Josh, my favs are the Crassula and Jade!

Much exciting times to look forward to here as always, and have a merry everything!

P.s. It can get awfully hot around here..!

Mike;-)

• dav4vid
    14 years ago

Welcome jodik; I suppose I never did introduce myself to this forum, having only been around a few weeks. I'm no expert but getting much better at identifying cacti & succs. I have a garden with over 200 varieties in San Diego CA. See my trade list if you are interested in that sort of thing...

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I'm so glad that you joined us. We are all here to help. I don't know if we have any professionals on board, but we all want to learn. Don't be afraid to ask a questions, I have a few I need to ask. Can a butterfly who lost half a wing, repair it's self. Tell us more about yourself, any other hobbies? Most of us have more than one, we were all collectors as children, stamps, tropical fish, stamps, thimbles? Most of us learned from Grandma. So you see we do have things in common. Norma

• paulzie32
    14 years ago

Hi and Welcome Jodi,
    I've been around (on and off) since September 2001. I agree with Norma... I'm also not sure there are any "Experts" per se, but there are definitely some that really know what they're talking about ;-)
    I haven't met a cactus I didn't like. The bigger or longer the spines, the more I like it!
    I hope you discover more than just "Holiday" cactus to enjoy as there are many others that aren't so prickly... Epiphyllums for one. If you like the flowers on the "Holiday" cacti, you'll LOVE the ones from Epis'.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=epiphyllum&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

There's also some with nice soft spines that won't really harm you... My favorite has always been the "Dog Tail" Cactus (selenicereus testudo).

I also grow Orchids and Bonsais. If I had a large property and House still, I'd also grow Bamboo and raise Tropical Fish (probably salt)

So, Norma, do you think that's all true about how we all learned?
    My Grandmother had every windowsill in the house covered in plants! But it was my Grandfather that bought me my first fishtank and my dad that fostered my interest in Tropical Fish.
    But I was adopted and when I found my Biological Family a few years back, it seems My Maternal Grandfather was Also a collector and even had a Farm. My Paternal Side of the family was part Native American (Mohawk) and all had an affinity for Nature of all kinds, (especially edible and medicinal local plants, which I too was always interested in).
    So, is it nurture or just Nature?
    And no, a Butterfly can not repair it's wing and usually only lives a few days to weeks, just long enough to breed. The Monarch does Migrate to some place in Mexico I believe, to spend the winter. But I believe that's the second generation of the year that does. I believe when they return to their homelands in spring, their offspring will just live long enough to give birth to THAT years Migrators and then die, never getting the Mexican Vacation :-)

• justapeeker
    14 years ago

I am no cacti pro by no means but

Can a butterfly who lost half a wing, repair it's self.
    No they can't replace any part of a broken wing. See also the butterfly garden forum. There nice folks in there and will help you alot on how to care for it there are a few key names in there they'll tell you how to get ready to raise some cats ( catapillers) They are totaly commited

Anyways just passing though good luck on your growing adventures all

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hi Jodi and welcome! You'll find lots of help here! Not to mention good conversation too! Everyone here is kind and will help with any questions you have. I only have a few cacti and succulents but hope to aquire more. This is a great place to learn, have fun planting! :)

Happy New Year!
    Ashley

• justapeeker
    14 years ago

Opps it's hello to Jodi.. Semi sorry for that, but you got me to thinking. I noticed your in the tropics and entering into the desert. I also noticed you been to the pet suply store, perhaps you have a few other things laying around ?

{{gwi:736904}}

I have great doubt this applies to succulents but for prickly things from our red rock areas it's a pretty good guess. Maybe you read the rest.

Happy Growing Jodi do get bitten warning to pricklings.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Get small opuntia. Norma

• joy72-2009
    14 years ago

Hi, Used to be on Gardenweb several years ago.Old computer went bad and I lost this site.I live in Central Fl.Have many different kinds of plants and love them all(even tho many have to be covered in winter)Glad to be back.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Paulzie, couldn't agree more, the longer and thicker the spines the more I like it. They kind of fit my personality LOL! We don't have room for much bamboo but my brothers yard is an empty slate. I'm already picking out bamboos for his backyard. Most of the bamboo in town survived the storm, Moody Gardens had a lot of varieties, they took a battering being under 14' of salt water for 2 days & only a very few died.

Norma, put the butterfly in some kind of enclosure with a lot of sticks for it to climb on and fresh flowers or nectar. They can live for awhile if safe from predators and can get food. Monarchs do winter in Mexico, they migrate through here every spring and fall. There used to be millions but the migration is much smaller now. Still impressive but it seems to be more scattered instead of one big flush. Like they are all departing at different times instead of all at once. They get their coloring from milkweed which also makes them toxic to birds. The butterfly weed is currently covered with cats. We can't keep it, they eat it as fast as it grows.

So, how much room do you have in your window sills? I'll send you some cuttings in the spring when you thawout.
    Tally HO!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! We arrived back home last night after having spent Christmas with our kids and grandkids... a wonderful mini-vacation!

I don't have very many items that would be listed as cacti or succulents... just a few little things.

Like this white flowered, and quite sad looking, Christmas Cactus...
    {{gwi:433256}}

These are little cacti seedlings I grew from seed...
    {{gwi:56638}}

Some winter hardy cacti from the western side of northern Illinois...
    {{gwi:56640}}

And an orchid cacti from a cutting...

This one is a night blooming Cereus, I believe...
    {{gwi:56637}}

Aside from a few more orchid cacti cuttings in baskets, that's all the cacti and succulents I currently have growing.

I do have tons of Hippeastrum bulbs, which actually seem to prefer to be treated like succulents. They like a grittier medium and less water than their tags indicate.

As it gets closer to spring, I'll be inquiring about Adeniums... I really want to try one! They have such beautiful flowers!

Thanks again for the friendly welcome! And now... to begin reading and learning! :-)