SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeecabin

death of cute critters

bumblebeecabin
14 years ago

Hello all....

It is starting to get painful... especially in the spring when I eagerly go out with my cup of coffee... and stroll around the yard looking for bulbs peeking up or flowers unfurling... to find instead a strangely odd looking flower bed which is suddenly devoid of one, two or three of my perennials. It has almost become of game of, "what plant is missing from this picture?"

I KNOW I have voles, but I am confused about what is ALSO eating from the top down instead of from the roots up. My most recent attack was the shoots of a siberian iris, ALL the fiddleheads AND mature fronds of a holly fern, two mounds of impatiens... and all of the tender growth on my foam flower. This is all one day after I came home from work to find my biggest camilla leaning in a peculiar manner... I gently touched her and she flopped to the side in total defeat... her entire rootball had been eaten. A month ago I lost a 5 year old doublefile viburnum and american beauty berry the same way.

I don't use bad words very often, but they seem to come easily when something hurts my beloved plants. I think I have purchased every type of repellent or predator urine or guise .... I think I need a pet puma to stroll around the flower beds.

Any advice? A shoulder to cry on?

This is quite maddening. I have changed stategies... with rocks around roots... and buying deer/rodent resistant things... but I really thought a holly fern or even an iris were not on the list of tasty treats.

Last night I heard an animal screeching from the woods near my house... I have heard horrible shrieking sound once before. Then I heard it running along one of my downed trees with the sound of clicky-clacking toe nails on the tree bark. It was an errie cross between a bellowing cat, screech owl, and the joker from bat man. Armadillo?

Sigh. I suppose I need to get to work. But I needed a friend to talk to this morning.

I pray everyone has a vermin free garden this year.

Nita

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES