SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, May 9th

Well Spring has certainly arrived in full, beautiful force here in the Pacific Northwest and we're being spoiled with utterly perfect weather. After a mild and VERY wet April(over nine inches of rain for me), we've had an extended stretch of days in the 70s with sunshine and a handful of days into the 80s as well, creating excitement that we might actually be able to grow a big crop of heirloom tomato's in our climate, a once in a decade occurrence.

The plants have responded accordingly with strong pushes from most spruce and many firs also showing signs of budding out. Cones are arriving in force as well, and that's what this brief tour is all about.

Conifers may not have uber-bright beautiful flowers that many gardeners aspire to display but their cones, some cultivars of which show plenty each and every year, are a wonderful compromise.

Picea abies 'Catharine's Golden Heart', named for my charity-minded, heart of gold mother is one of Bob Fincham's gold seedlings and is really starting to shine.

Lots of cones.

Lots!

Now in a full-sun spot, it's set to show it's brilliant gold(no burn once established) and red cones for many years to come. It's circulating around a handful of nurseries so if you're interested, you can grow a specimen for yourself very soon!

A few other very heavy coning plants.

Picea abies 'Pusch' My original specimen from Coenosium Gardens, it's now about nine years old and rockin so many cones it should be illegal!

lol...

Another newer specimen, probably from Iseli. Bought at Dragonfly farms, the fantastic nursery on the ACS western conference meeting this year.

Cones from Abies koreana 'Nanaimo'

Picea pungens 'Ruby Teardrops' A fantastic plant to my tastes.

The cones are bright red/purple and there are an abundance of them contrasting with the deep sky-blue foliage.

A few other conifers to share:

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Tempelhof Compact'

An unknown dwarf Picea orientalis with new golden growth.

Abies balsamea 'Tyler's Blue' - Great soft blue color.

One of my favorite color shots with maples and conifers sharing the photo.

Happy Spring to all!

-Will

Comments (10)