SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, May 8th

More plants to share from my garden as Spring slowly issues in a new year. We've had almost 'blisteringly' warm weather of late, highs into the low 70s a few days but it was short lived and the marine air is back in pushing back into the low 60s and upper 50s. Spring really does meander in here much more so than any place in the United States. On to the plants!

Picea abies 'Medusa' - a small cone making plant, more compact than 'Pusch' though not coning much yet. Very few miniatures make cones, so this might be a good one!

Trying hard!

Abies koreana 'Green Carpet' - Fourth year in the ground, now starting to head more upright(this leader I may choose to leave), and now producing cone(s). More then one next year I bet!

Cedrus deodara 'Bergmann's Gold Prostrate'. So beautifully gold I will be tempted to let the leader grow for a few years, this plant is a VERY vigorous grower and loves full sun.

Picea pungens 'St. Joseph's Broom' - A new plant to me, from Conifer Kingdom.

Pinus cembra 'Stoderzinken #4' - quite the tight broom!

Pinus parviflora 'Tsai's Cushion' - one of the best, tight Japanese white pines.

Abies koreana 'Taiga' - half day shade and crowded by others, still happy, highly unusual foliage that gets confused for abies pinsapo and the cones were a surprise this year.

Closeup.

Pinus koraiensis 'Gee's Broom' - From Conifer Kingdom but obviously originating/named at Gee's.

Acer palmatum 'Shin Deshojo' - Certainly one of the brightest red colors produced by any leaf or flower in Spring. This color intensifies briefly and then holds until about June here in the PNW.

A color medly. This photo sums up my gardening philosophy, wedging cool plants of all kinds, colors, shapes and textures into as small a place as possible, so that bark, ground and the surrounding is barely visable.

More next week! (and the next and the next...)

-Will

Comments (19)