SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandmapoo

Ponderosa Lemon Fruiting in Winter?

grandmapoo
18 years ago

I purchased my Ponderosa Lemon late summer and planted it in Oct. I never saw any blooms, but now it has a cluster of small growths on one limb that looks like tiny green fruits.

What is this? Thanks. :)

Comments (35)

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

Grandmapoo, CONGRADULATIONS to you,this either's the start of blooms or it's given birth to baby Ponderosa's.Now just watch and marvel as they grow:)***Suzanne

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. I'm very excited and curious since I thought this tree may not even survive.
    Well, I took one off and smashed it between my fingers and it smelled just like a lemon. After my post, I considered that these may be buds for blooms. Do the fruits cluster together this way? :)

• Related Discussions

Ponderosa Lemon Tree Help

Q

Comments (12)
    It was put in a larger pot about 6 or 7 years ago. This year I had to put it in a new pot because the drain pan on the old pot broke and the water was draining out on our carpet. I put in in a new pot that was either the same size or slightly bigger. I didn't see any root congestion when I switched pots this year. Even if it did, I can not put it in a larger pot. My house is small, and with the other non-citrus trees we have to bring in also, we just don't have room for anything bigger. In the spring I cut the trees back to try to make them more bushy and less tall, and it has not been a problem. When I bought them I lived in Houston, TX, and If I had stayed there I would have ended up planting them in the ground and let them grow like they want to. However, I met my soul mate in Kentucky and we got married so I have to keep them potted so I can bring them inside in the winter until I have enough extra money to build some type of greenhouse. I have had the trees in Kentucky for about 4 years so far, and I have never had anything like this happen. I really believe that it is that new pot. It really doesn't drain like people on this forum say that citrus trees need to grow properly. If I can find a nursery open this time of year in our area I will get a new pot and some proper soil and repot it again. If not I'm going to have to wait till spring so I can get a pot from wal-mart, tractor supply, ect. At this time of year it is next to impossible to find any gardening supplies around here.
    ...See More

Just got a Ponderosa Lemon Tree (pic)

Q

Comments (14)
    They're fungus gnats. I think they're more a nuisance than a real problem. Not sure of best way to eliminate them. Somebody here on this forum probably has a relatively non-toxic remedy. I suspect spraying with horticultural oil, or Neem, will control them effectively without making your fruit toxic. The oil kills by suffocation, not poison. Just spray the soil surface thoroughly, and I think your problem will be over.
    ...See More

Spider mites on ponderosa lemon!

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks, John. Very good, Arkberry! The reason I rinse is that I've gone overboard in the past and had some heavy Neem build-up on the leaves of my citrus...to the point where I had to physically wash the excess oil off. Seemed as though I was suffocating the plant, so now I use a lighter dose more frequently, with rinsings between. You can't go wrong with Mike's advice...he's the reason I got into citrus, and I consult with him regularly. Last time I Neemed was during my Blood Orange's early Spring bloom. I'd heard that the Neem might affect the blooms, but I had no choice...as both the flowers and the mites were on the tree, and I wasn't about to give the mites a foothold while the flowers finished setting. Despite the Neem treatments, the flowers continued to bloom and set fruit. Josh
    ...See More

Ponderosa lemon (limon à medica) defoliation

Q

Comments (5)
    the vinegar solution was too strong. i would put them in the kitchen sink or use a clean spray bottle and gently rinse them off. looks ok otherwise. in their weakened state, i would dilute the fertilizer for a few months till they're healthy again. which direction is your window facing? you may want to use artificial lighting. citrus have a fairly high light requirement. temperature of 22'C is around 70'F, so it will be just fine for the winter.
    ...See More
  • birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Grandampoo, yes, fruit cluster..after they mature to a certain size, some drop off..otherwise they'd bump against each other and/or too many fruit would weigh more than the branch. Congrats, though..Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, that's great! We've been unusually warm this winter with only a couple of mild freezes. I hope these survive.
    Thanks. :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Grandmapoo, on those freezing nights, do you cover your citrus? If so what do you use? Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I lovingly covered it with an old blanket, as someone advised me to do on this forum. They told me, even with our mild winters, that I would need to protect it. I wouldn't have otherwise. I wish I could remember who that was, but thanks to all of you for the help. It's very much appreciated. :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Blankets should do the trick..and your winters are short (compared to mine here in IL) Some ppl even use Christmas lights, but because you onl have a few days of freezing temps. the blanket should work fine.
    Are the fruits getting bigger? Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They are slowly growing larger and some more have started developing on another branch. I never thought I'd see small lemons during winter. I thought I'd see blooms in spring, then the fruit would follow. I bought this tree, especially for the fragrant blossoms, at which time there were none and the tree itself wasn't in the best condition, as it was late in the season and on sale since it suffered inadequate nursery care. I'm very pleased that my 'less than experienced' knowledge and care in the citrus dept. is paying off. I hope I still get some blossoms in spring. :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Grandmapoo, Ponderosa's bloom yr round..Is this your only citrus? You'd be surprised when some citrus flower and fruit..for instance the Meyer's Lemon fruits yr round.
    Are you planning on buying more citrus? I love their fragrance, especially at night..Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've wanted a lemon tree since I was a child! There was one where we rented. This is my first and only citrus. I'm experimening with this one. It blooms yr round? When I bought it, I had no idea that the fruit would get huge. I love that. I adore lemon scent and flavor and will use the fruits for not only cooking, but cleaning purposes as well. The rest that remain on the tree will be ornamental!

I've read many good things about the Meyer's Lemon and wouldn't mind owning one. Isn't it a much smaller shrub type citrus? Do you own a Ponderosa, as well? :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Happy New Years,
    Oh yes, Ponderosa's fruit get huge..the conservatory here in Il has a tree and the lemons look like grapefruit..they are so big.
    How will you use the fruit for cleaning purposes?

Meyer's like most citrus can grow large..Not as large as Ponderosa though. Yes, I have Ponderosa, Meyers, and many other citrus. At last count I think there were 20 trees. And come spring will order 6 more. I dote on plants w/fragrance that flower and fruit. LOL.

BTW, Happy New Years, Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Happy New Year to you! I use baking soda and a lemon cut in half to gently clean and dedorize my counter tops, stove top and cutting board. It does the trick and is totally natural.
    What do you with all the lemons? I read that one Ponderosa can make a whole lemon pie. I guess I'll have to learn to bake lemon pies now! LOL :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Please tell me how you mix lemon and baking soda to clean..You see, I raise birds and can't use many chemical products, so much of my stuff is natural. Like the downstairs bathroom is cleaned w/vinager..
    Please explain how you make this cleaner..
    Grandma, most citrus are grown for decorations, lol..I have given my BIL lemons, limes, etc..My husband uses limes for mixed drinks. One day I[ll have to try baking a pie using my lemons.
    I also mix my own insecticides so I'll pluck a citrus fruit to use the rind or juice to make this organic bug spray.
    But I mainly grow fruits for looks and scent. I love the scent of the flowers, you know? Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just sprinkle the baking soda over stains and rub with half a lemon. There's nothing to mix.

Speaking of loving the blooms, the things that I thought might be fruits, are blooms! One was open yesterday and I fought off two bees and stuck my nose on it. Oh, that scent was wonderful! Can't wait for them all to open. :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Grandma, does the soda and lemon work on any type of material..like wood, metal?

Congrats on your new flowers. I bet you were happy to spot new flowers. Just continue whatever you're doing and all will go well. Toni

• ericspoo
    18 years ago

Sorry for the delay in a reply...I couldn't log on. I guess the new format has changed my user name back to my original, which is my grandson's name, Eric.

Yes, the baking soda and lemon works on any surface. It's only mildly abrasive and is great for anywhere you want to use a natural cleanser. For highly polished metal surfaces, I'd recommend doing a test spot. You can use just the baking soda and pressure with a damp cloth (without the lemon) to remove stubborn stains.
    I'm enjoying the lemon blossoms. So many more have opened with our continued warm spell. :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

grandma, I found when GW asks you to long in, do NOT us any capital letters. Use lowercase..
    Also, do not give anyone your password..

I'll have to try the baking soda like u suggest..then the lemon, too..Does it work w/clothes too?

I'm happy hearing your lemon has so many blossoms..Doesn't it smell great? Sometimes I'll sniff and resniff and resniff the same flower..lol..do you notice it's more fragrant as the sun goes down?? Mine even opne in the afternoon. My variegated lemon has clusters of flowers that are turning into fruit..a few are black which bothers me, but I was told this is normal..We'll see. I still have more flwoers, but sure some fruit will drop becaus there are too many in one section and it'd be too heavy for the plant.
    I've got at least 6 more citrus on order for spring..Can't wait..lol..Toni

• ericspoo
    18 years ago

I've never tried the baking soda on clothes. If you rub it into a sticky stain, the abrasive action might help remove it. I wouldn't try it on delicate fabrics tho. If you try it let me know how it works. You might be onto something! lol

The bees are already pollinating my blossoms. It's been 80 the past two days. That's crazy weather for Jan, even here in the deep south! My nose is planted in those blossoms several times a day, along with the bees! The scent is just awsome in our humidity. It just hangs in the air around my back patio. As some of the blossoms fade, I will remove some of them and leave maybe two to a limb so the fruit won't be too heavy. My tree is about 4'. When I bought it, I pruned it to three evenly distributed branches, hoping it will be a strong tree, able to hold a lot of fruit, when it gets bigger.
    Is it the blossoms or the fruit turning black on your variegated lemon? Do you know what diseases I need to look out for, if any. The only thing I heard is that they are suseptible to root rot if they don't have proper drainage.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Howdy, How was your weekend? I managed to get out and buy more plants at Home Depot..LOL. no citrus, it's very hard finding citrus here in IL.
    Well, right now I don't have any clothes w/stains, but if it happens I'll give it a try..Baking soda works for everything including baking and keeping the frige smelling nice..LOL.

Thank God for bees..LOL..they do one heck of a job. Wow, you are so lucky it's 80 degrees there. It's supposed to go up to 65 WEd which is really strange for Il in Jan. It's been in the 40's the last two wks, so all signs of snow are gone.
    I know what you mean about sniffing citrus flowers. I do so every change I get..I've one plant in the gh, and it's packed w/flower..the leaves dropped in fall, but the plant is fine..I'm sure in spring leaves will grow and once it's on a regular feeding schedule it should do fine. I do not feed in winter..IN fact, this yr I sprayed w/Fish Emulsion and gave a small dose of Osmocote but that's the first time Ive ever done it..I don't notice any difference. The fish emulsion was foliar sprayed, and its purpse was to keep bugs at bay. So far it's working like a charm. Not one mite, mealy or any pest. I'm going to spray again soon..I'll skip the Osmocote though, and wait until I feel it's time to feed w/their regular food.

I wouldn't remove the fruit yet, instead let Mother Nature do Her job..they'll drop automacially..Like my variegated lemon..there are clusters of fruit growing in different sections, but I'll let it be..when they're ready to fall they will.

As far as the black fruit, I was told the variegated lemon's look dark as babies. So, I wouldn't worry about it, yet..unless all fruit turn black and drop, then I'll knw there's a problem. But I'm hoping there isn't. This is the first time I've had a variegated citrus (this size) so it's new for me. Do u have a variegated lemon, too?
    Come spring I'll be getting a big Ponderosa lemon tree in a 5 gallon container. Can't wait..LOL. I've the perfect spot for it.
    Yes, heavy soil will cause problems. Oops phone call..Toni

• ericspoo
    18 years ago

The weekend was great, spent time with the grandkids. Whew! I'm worn out. They just left back home yesterday eve.
    No, I don't own any other citrus. I hope your fruit will have healthy development on your variegated lemon. I won't pluck any fruit, as you suggested, but I have been instructed to remove my peach tree blooms, to avoid overload. I thought this may apply to the lemons also.
    I have a lot to learn.
    ~May we be bless with lots of lemons in our lives~ LOL

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

Hey there ericspoo. I live in Texas too. I don't have a Ponderosa Lemon but I have a Meyer Lemon and the scent is just magnificent!! I had to move mine into the greenhouse since we've been having really freaky weather here and I can smell it as soon as I open the door. Love that smell!! I also have a Bear's thornless Lime but the blossoms on it don't have a scent. It is loaded with blossoms though. I want to try the Ponderosa Lemon. Just wanted to see "hi" from another Texan. :)

Hi to you too, Toni. :) Hope your New Year is going great! It's all your fault...you're getting me "hooked" on citrus. lol

Leona

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Ericpoo, I bet you love your grandchildren, but when you tire it's nice when mom and dad take them home..kids can be a bundle of joy and a bundle of work, too..lol

Nope, I wouldn't pluck anything..Mother Nature wil do the job for you. She knows when there are too many fruit on one branch. It may take a while, not happen right away, but as soon as clusters of fruit emerge, the weakest of fruit will drop.

LOL Leona..it's all my fault .. I made you do it..LOL. Are you buying new citrus? If so, what type? I love both Meyer's and Ponderosa..I think they're my two favorite lemons..If and when my variegated sends out bigger fruit that may come in third, or maybe not in that order, we'll see..Happy shopping..lol..Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello fellow Texan, Leona! Nice to meet you. Yes, the weather has been really crazy this winter; ha, what winter!???! LOL Any wild fires near you? We finally got a little rain yesterday, but not near enough. This has been really scary lately.

Toni, it seems most citrus are grown in containers. Is this necessary or just a preference? With, our hot dry summers, I wouldn't be able to keep up with their water needs. Where are you going to put your new citrus'? I have plenty of property to put them in the ground, but want to make sure, I can maintain them. I'm considering a Meyer Lemon...see what you're doing...getting everyone hooked! :)

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just in case anyone is confused, I AM and (hopefully) always will be "Grandmapoo". LOL
    I guess with the new format, they reverted back to my old user name, "Ericspoo".

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Hi Grandmapoo, well, maybe a first name will help..LOL..even if it's made up that's fine.
    Where will I put my new trees? WEll, depending on the types, some are going in the house and others in an 8x12 gh I have out back.
    Have u ever checked out my website? If so, that's probably why you're asking where my new citrus will go..LOL..If not, you're just curious.
    And this spring, I want to order a Flying Dragon and grow outside. It's work, since I live in IL, but my smaller Poncirus is doing fine, so far. I'm try posting a pic here so you can see what I mean..It's only a baby plant though and been in the ground 1 1/2 yrs. But we have short summers here so some plants take longer to grow than others. Here goes, let's see if it works..lol..

By the way, I was told this plant wouldn't make it the first winter, and as you can see, this is the second winter and going strong..wish it was taller though..Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Ponderosa Lemon Fruiting in Winter?

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Toni, I don't know what a Poncirus is. (Short for Ponderosa Citrus???) Anyway, the little guy looks healthy from what I can tell. Is that ice/snow patches on the ground in that pic?
    My Ponderosa just experienced a light frost without protection (oops!) and I can't see any ill affects. Like I said before, I nursed the poor thing back to health and it still lacks all it's leaves, but now I notice more little buds for blooms even on those bare branches. Can you tell I love my lemon tree?!?! lol

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Howdy,
    Yep, you are seeing snow patches. A Poncirus is a really sour orange tree, but mainly used for grafting trees. Still, even though this little tree will take yrs to grow, I'd like to see it work. No relation to Ponderosa.

Yes I can tell you love your citrus..LOL..Don't we all? I think that's the reason we come here to discuss, ask questions, answer questions, and take time working on our plants. My name is Toni and I'm a plantahholic..LOL.

Do you plan on getting another tree? Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You know, Toni, if I were to "guess" if I were going to get another citrus tree, I say "yes". LOL Right now, I'm leaning toward a fragrant shrub type, if I can find one. Spring time at the nurserys will tell! Any suggestions?

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Granmapoo, well citrus are fragrant when in flower..but there are sooo many others.
    How about Mock Orange. There are also fragrant hibiscus, I've got one on order now.
    There's a ton of fragrant plants, but I don't know what's hardy to your area..are u looking for a shrub that grows tall? Toni

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm looking for shrubs that are in the 4-6' range. I have a lot of oaks on my property, which is 1 1/2 acres. The back 1/2 acre, I left wooded for the animals sake. It sounds like a lot of property, but the problems lies in that so much of it is mostly dappled shade.
    I have a woodland garden with a small pond, near the woods, which is mostly a shade garden, basically tropical plants.
    Right now, as far as "fragrant" shrubs go, I have several gardenias...love them! I have two scented rose bushes. I had several other types, but took them out. (I'm not, I repeat NOT a rose gardener! LOL) The gardenias and roses flower almost yr round in our climate. These are planted around my walkways, patio and sitting areas. I have many other flowering plants, but of course, I'm partial to the scented ones. I always have a small veg. garden and a couple of yrs ago started growing herbs, so that's why now I'm interested in growing fruit trees. It's something new and exciting to learn about, plus the benefits of fresh fruit. This yr, along with my lemons, I hope to have some peaches, too! :)

• kailea
    18 years ago

Have a ponderosa lemon, want to know if fruit is edible.

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, the fruit is edible, although many are grown for ornamental purposes. I'm looking forward to tasting the fruit, hopefully this summer. :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Grandma, sounds like you've a nice piece of land despite the shade. Oh you're sooo lucky growing Gardenias in your yard..I grow them indoors and it's a job. I know they'd love being outside in the ground 12 months a yr. I have to worry about mites, dry air, stuffy air, so it's work keeping them going.
    How about jasmine? Do you like Jasmine trees? Or Sweet Olive, (osmanthus) (not a true olive) Then there's Camellia (some are fragrant)
    I don't know what's hardy in your area, grandma. But you've probably got so much to choose from..so much I can only dream of growing.
    I'd buy a couple more citrus to add as pals to your Ponderosa.
    Is there a way you can, I know this is sad, but chop down some nearby trees for more light? I know this is drastic, but if you can remove a few trees just for extra light.

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We've had some trees removed over the past yrs due to hurricane damage and we've had many pines removed. I actually have plans now, to remove/top out 3 trees, but it's expensive! I understand why tho, it's hard work and dangerous. We've taken several small trees down ourselves in the past, but these are large/tall trees, that we'll leave to a professional. It's a good suggestion, thanks. Hopefully we'll have the funds on our tax return!
    I do have a camillia, but it's not fragrant. Red and so beautiful when everything else looks dead. I'm now considering an orange tree. Are they fairly easy to grow? How great it would be to be able to pluck off a peach and an orange as I'm walking around the property! :)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Grandma, I'd love a Peach tree in my yard instead of this darn maple that shades yard in summer, tosses seeds everywhere so I'm always plucking baby maples, and in fall throws leaves everywhere, and I mean everywhere..
    There are peach trees hardy to my zone if if the maple ever goes a peach tree will be there..I also have a small smoke tree I keep pruned.

An orange tree shouldn't be anymore difficult than your Ponderosa. They do require more warmth in winter, but living in Tx you can get by. What type of orange are u thinking of getting? small like Calamondins, or large like navels?
    I know you can't recieve plants from Fl, but take a look at www.harriscitrus.com and check out their trees to get an idea what you'd be interested in..they've got quite a fw pictures.

I'd love to see a pic of your red camillia. HOw about a fragrant hibiscus? I don't know how much scent thry throw out, probably about as much as your camillia.

I have 2 roses, but not an expert on growting them either. One is an old-fashioned, I'll post a pic. It's very old, was here when we bought the house. The flowers are super fragrant, but after a first rain or strong winds, most of the flowers drop.
    What zone do u live in? Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Ponderosa Lemon Fruiting in Winter?