SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marynj_gw

Help for old jade plant

17 years ago

I have an old jade plant (tree?) that I bought about ten years ago. The guy who sold it to me told me to water it about every ten to 14 days, which I've been doing. For the past several years, the branches have been sagging lower and lower and it's dropping a lot of leaves. A few of the smaller branches have shriveled up and fallen off, too. I'm afraid to overwater it, because I lost a few succulents by overwatering before (root rot).

The jade has a trunk about 3" thick and the whole plant is about 3' wide/tall. The pot is ceramic and about 16" wide by 16" deep. It's sitting next to a window facing east (not overly bright). I've never changed the dirt since I've had it and don't know how to change it without the risk of killing the plant. The whole thing is very heavy and I can't lift it by myself.

When I water it (with about a half-gallon of water, occasionally mixed with succulent food), a lot of the water goes right through the dirt and out the bottom of the pot. It has never bloomed for me.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mary

Comments (10)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals