SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llionna

HELP! Losing battle?

Llionna
9 years ago

I grew a potted grapefruit tree from a seed 16 years ago, and since I am a terrible gardener it has bravely survived much.

Without fail I brought it outside in the hot summer, and back in the winter and it actually flourished until 3 summers ago when it became infested with spider mites.

I cleaned it all up and they were gone for a year before whitefly and scale (simultaneously no less) took over. I was told at the local greenhouse to use a 1-10 ratio of sunlight detergent to water, making sure I got every leaf top and bottom. I removed all soil and let the root ball soak (hoping to drown the little jerks), and changed the pot, in an effort to avoid any eggs. After a few months the infestation went down but was still bad and even spread to my curly willow, spider plant and then killed my herb garden. Last year I bought some insecticidal soap and sprayed it with that weekly but found that the tree was frying faster than the bugs were.

This year I accidentally left it out on a few cold nights where the temp dropped very low and all of the scale dried up and died and the whitefly were nowhere to be seen. At this point I celebrated and was very much relieved.

It stayed this way until I found (this morning) that not only was the scale back in full force (everywhere), but small spiders (black, maybe 5mm from leg to leg) had made webs and were just hanging out. Honeydew all over the floor and dripping down the stalks so now I am totally frustrated. I desperately want to save it but the harsh stuff nearly killed it the first time.

What do I do now??

Please, please help!

Comments (8)