SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

Storing Dahlia Tubers the Old Fashion Way

cats39
17 years ago

Although Ive been growing Dahlias for four years now, I still consider myself a novice. I say this because up to this time I have never learned the art of pinching back or disbudding. I dig, I store and I plant and watch them grow their beautiful eye appealing blossoms.

IÂm still in the stages of learning through my own mistakes when it comes to staking and tying back but all in all, and considering all of my inadequacies, I think IÂve been very successful. I've recently taken a few digital camera shots with my granddaughterÂs camera and hope to post some of that beauty in the near future. When it happens, IÂll be happy to hear all the criticismÂs that will help me in the future.

In the meantime does anyone on the Forum dig and store their tubers the old fashion way? Meaning digging, drying, knocking away the clumps of dirt and then leaving a thin film of surface dirt on the skins while storing as them did years ago when the placed the tubers in what was known as a rooting cellar.

I know many of you store by more innovative means because of space and time i.e., the saran wrap method, but if anyone does as I asked, the Old fashion Way, IÂd be interested in knowing the full technique or where it can be found on the Internet. It would be greatly appreciated.

One other question I have is, a few unidentified plants have grown up to (and if the frost holds out here in Central New York) over 8' feet tall. Is that normal? Or is it the fault of not pinching back. By not disbudding, am I doing injustice to the true Dahlia lover?

Thanks for your time!

Jim

Comments (9)