SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Wrecked by horrible storm

I don't know who else is in the midwest but maybe we can commisserate together. There was a torrential rainstorm last evening with hail. It was positively biblical. I was picking my daughter up from a school event and the hail was so hard cars stopped in the middle of the road. Driving the car was like being inside a metal garbage can with someone throwing rocks at it.

Once home, I could hear potted plants tumbling and crashing on the deck but with the hail didn't even want to go out to rescue anything.

This morning I could hardly recognize my garden. Between the rain and the hail the leaves on the trees are 3/4 gone overnight.

And the 4 foot tall dahlias? What 4 foot tall dahlias?

The 6 feet tall asters? Did I have asters?

Nothing in the garden is now over 1 foot high. Even the daylilies are only 4 inches high now. Even the hostas are broken! Taller ones like Sagae are a sad mess. Only 1 or 2 leaves are still upright; the other stems are all broken.

I went out to try to stake things up but it's pretty hopeless. Even the short potted dahlias have had their stems split right off the trunk. Some of the big ones had barely started blooming. Now on half there's nothing left but a stump: all branches with buds have broken off.

With all the rain lately the slugs are having a population explosion. I've been putting out cupfuls of slug bait every week and still picked gigantic whoppers off the flowers today. (WHY don't rabbits eat slugs? All that protein going to waste.) A number of new perennials planted this summer have already died due to drowning.

It's so depressing. Maybe I should only plant short things from now on. The heuchera bed survived just fine.

Comments (10)