SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firesoforion

D: My poor Key Lime plant! Please help!

firesoforion
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've read a few of the threads on key lime plants here and I don't think any of them really address my problem. I live in Colorado and have a key lime plant I ordered about four years ago. It's always done fairly well, though there have been times it's looked sick, it's gotten better. But now I'm really worried.

I tend to water the plant about once every week or so (when the soil gets dry), sometimes it's been a little bit irregular, but I figure nature is fairly irregular, and it's done fine. A few weeks ago I went a long time (about two weeks) without watering it, and then when I watered it, it lost a lot of leaves. I've read that's to be expected. But then, it lost all its leaves, every single one. A couple more started to grow but they died too. I'd never repotted it before, and I decided that maybe that's what it needed because I read that you were supposed to be repotting every year or two, and it's a four year old plant in essentially its original container. I repotted it but the roots actually didn't seem particularly big for the pot. I spread them around and tried my best to repot it nicely. I also didn't see any sign of root-rot or anything.

So I started waiting for stuff to start growing back, and there have been parts which started to grow, but it really worries me that a lot of the limbs have started to die. They die close to the ends and grow brown down the limbs, even if I prune off to where it's still alive. At this point, I have taken off *a lot* of my plant...

Could it be something as simple as it being too cold or not getting enough sunlight (it's inside, beside a window and a door, but it's one of those long thin windows, I am having a hard time figuring out where to put it), or does that sound like something more extreme? What should/can I do to try to help it? Does this sound really bad? I've had it for four years and gotten attached to the little plant, so I really would like to help it if I can... Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH