SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

I've finally experienced the SLIME

cats39
17 years ago

Hi All!

I defoiled and dug about 80% of my Dahlias on Wednesday. I was going to finish the chore on Thursday but the wife insisited leaving the ones that were out in the front yard and around the house because the were so beautiful.

I listened and after four years of Dahlia growing, I experienced my first ever hard killing frost last night. For the past two years the Dahlias stayed into late October and November without such a harsh frost........ We had two light frosts Sat and Sun without harm and "Thank God" this is Syracuse and not Buffalo where their living wiht two feet of snow on the ground in some places.

I was out at 05:00AM with the dog and the leaves were curled and frozen and because of the Dahlia Forum I at least thought I knew what to expect. As soon as I could see twilight I was out at 06:45 and spent almost two hours cutting the once beaut's down and by the time I could get the remnants to my compost heap the leaves were already turning black.

I had to quit to run an errand and when I returned at 01:00PM I had 4 plants near the mailbox that made a believer out of me of what "Slime" really is. I can only imagine if I didn't get out before sun-up this morning to cut down the 6 and 8 footer's that I had a number of, I'm sure I would now be reliving the movie "The Slime" and not relaxing doing this, thanks in part to all you guy's and gal's.

Jim

Comment (1)