SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkers_gw

black hills spruce sickly need advise PICS

bunkers
15 years ago

Planted this one about a year ago ... looked great all summer and even during the winter months. It did appear to possibly get nibbled on by deer or something (last summer) as I suddenly saw a lot of nibbled branches on top one day. Supposedly deer don't like them, but maybe they just tried it since it was so green.

So this spring, as spring started emerging, I noticed a large amount of browning on the bottom in parts ... quickly turning that browned section to dead branches ... I have since pruned off the affected branches.

Then in the following few weeks, I started to get these black and brown tipped branches which seemed to spread. I don't think its normal, but don't really know since this is the first BHS for me. I have heard black hills spruce can get black tips ... but I'm kind of doubtful this is normal.

It seems to be going top to bottom.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can or should do ... and if anyone has any ideas what could be ailing this little 4-5' tree. This is in CO at el. 6500' and we get a little more rain than the denver area and are about 8 degrees cooler (higher).

Here are the pictures:

{{gwi:703930}}

{{gwi:703932}}

{{gwi:703934}}

{{gwi:703936}}

{{gwi:703938}}

{{gwi:703940}}

Comments (11)