SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

So Frustrated: Isn't there a better way of staking??

There has to be a better way! This year I am growing, for the first time, some varieties that are taller (for me), that are about 3-4 feet. These are in a mixed perennial bed. They were all pinched well at starting and as often as I could until they started budding.

I have staked these things like crazy. They still are curling, twisting, sprawling every which way. My bamboo stakes just fall over with the weight of the stems. I pushed them down as far as they could go. I planted a row spaced out at about a foot apart. Wouldn't you know, they are ALL spawling into a pile in the center! It's like an unruly football pile-up. (I should check and see if there's a football under there!) I can't tell you how many branches have snapped off while trying to straighten this mess out. The worst offender is Akita: gorgeous flowers like a Japanese chrysanthemum, ALL facing downward due to their weight.

My husband really dislikes seeing stakes sticking up all over the garden. (He's a tidy-garden person) How else can I do this? I thought of tomato cages but they would look tacky too. It's a formally-designed raised bed, so I agree with him on this; if only I could think of something else.

It's too late for this year: but I want to plan ahead. Maybe make something over the winter. I used peony cages for my phlox this year, but they would be both too wide and too short for dahlias. I looked in garden centers at those decorative wire "obelisks", but they were SO expensive (like $40 and up).

What can I do? It's so great to have something blooming besides my asters at this time of year. But not so great when all the flowers face down!

Comments (7)