SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Questions on Fall Experiments

sturgeonguy
15 years ago

Many of you know how fastidious I am, so it will come as no real surprise that IÂm planning now for a bunch of experiments this fall. For example, IÂm going to take a Sandia Joy and China Doll and try to keep them growing as long as possible in my sunroom. IÂm curious to see if they shut down bloom production or otherwise go dormant, or if I can keep them blooming through to next season. One will be getting artificial light while the other will be on a window sill.

Meanwhile, if you have any thoughts on the following questions IÂd appreciate hearing your advice. DonÂt be shyÂ;-]

Since all of my plants are still in their 4" pots, I will be interested to see just how the tubers have formed; as in have they broken out of the pots? Questions about lifting the pot tubers out of the ground:

• Q1: If they have grown out of the pot, should I just cut the tuber at the pot boundary?
  • Q2: Should I dust them with fungicide if I do have to cut tubers, or just toss those individual tubers I have to cut?
  • Q3: Since they are in pots, do I need to leave them in the ground for a week or so after the stalk is cut, or can I bring them inside (avoiding all chances of frost) and let the eyes form before I put them away?
  • Q4: How will I store them? IÂm hoping I have nothing but the 4" pot to store, as they would nicely stack in the fridge. I believe I can simply let them dry for a couple of days, then wrap each one in saran and put them in the fridge. Anyone see any reason that wouldnÂt work?
  • Q5: Do I have to take the tubers out of the pots, clean off all the soil, and either store the entire clump or separate before storing like you would with field tuber clumps?

My goal is to get all of my plants blooming in June next year, so I have kept careful notes about each variety to know roughly how long they might take to bloom. This means that I plan to start some tubers in early December.:

• Q5: Is there a minimum amount of time you have to leave a tuber dormant? If so, anyone know why?
  • Q6: Should I just not bother to store those varieties that take a long time to bloom and instead, after IÂve lifted the pot, go ahead and let the eyeÂs continue to grow to a sprout for a new cutting?

I will have a new growing spot in the sunroom. This is shelving with adjustable lighting heights that should allow plants to grow up to 3Â under the lights. I plan on keeping them more disbudded and disbranched than I have in the past so they, hopefully, will grow with stronger main stems. When they go in the ground, each one will be put inside a tomato cage. The tops of my plants have never had a problem; itÂs always been the very bottom branches that break off due to wind and my dogs.

• Q7: If you want your plants to be less bushy, at least while theyÂre less than 3Â in height, how would you accomplish this?

If I donÂt have space in the shelving for all of the plants I grow, I figured I would take those that are furthest along and move them out onto the floor in the...

Comments (17)