SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

The Drought in Oklahoma Continues.. What's in the Forecast?

Annie
11 years ago

The photo below is of one of my veggie gardens last year.
It looked pretty promising in June when this was taken, but production never did get to much of anything by July. But as pitiful as it was, I may not be so lucky this year. At least it "looked" pretty last year.

I bought my veggie garden seeds yesterday to start my flats of plants. Mostly tomatoes, but got Red Bell Pepper seeds, too. And for the early, tented crops, French Breakfast Radishes, Gourmet Mesclun and Matador Spinach. I will get out my bags of seeds and start lettuces, onions, broccoli and cabbages too.
The tomatoes are some of my favorite varieties: Beefsteak, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, and Mortgage Lifter.
I like these big, meaty Heirloom tomatoes. Then the Early Girl Tomato which produces very early and very abundantly, plus being a juicy and delicious medium-sized tomato.

However, the forecasts for the coming growing season is extremely dismal - this is supposed to be a severely dry spring. Without the usually good spring rains, I'll be lucky to have much of anything in the way of flowers or veggies this year, let alone tomatoes enough to can. And that being the case, it will probably be the death of many of my plants, shrubs and trees.

The news networks in Oklahoma City announced tonight that mandatory water rationing will start very early this year - their city lake is dangerously low already. Ponds are dried up and small creeks and streams. I hope and pray our well doesn't dry up!

Many of the farmers around me are clearing off their land or at least thinning out their wooded areas, and completely removing all junipers (Oklahoma cedars) in anticipation of the likelihood of major wildfires this summer. The cedars ignite and literally explode like bombs, and with our year round strong winds, the fires race across the hills and prairies. With no water sources to fight them with, rural folks are in serious jeopardy.

Additionally, with no rain, there will be no wheat, no hay and no water for livestock. The ranchers around here will have to sell off much of their herds or pay to have water and hays hauled in from other other states not in drought. The wildlife will suffer terribly. But...Watch for the price of beef to shoot up even higher this year. It is really scary.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone