SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaliman_gw

rootstock lemon is taking over and grafted lemon looks ill

kaliman
16 years ago

Hi all,

I have been reading through the existing posts and think I know what to do, but would like some confirmation.

I have an old (>10y?)lemon tree in the garden which has had both the graft and the rootstock growing, flowering and fruiting profusely for the last few years.

The grafted part (an oval, thin skinned 'normal' type) has a much thicker stem than the rootstock, but has suddenly just about stopped producing leaves, just the odd blossom, strangely placed right on the stem (rather than on a branch), with several green but leafless small branches. Some leaves are also growing straight out from the main stem, no branches, which seems a bit odd. It still has a few mostly green lemons on, but these have only grown to about 1/2 of their normal size, and I don't think they plan on getting any bigger (starting to go yellow). So the grafted part is very bare.

The rootstock is a rough skin lemon, and as happy as can be, full of leaves and tiny as well as some mature fruit. I have now removed quite a lot of its branches, but have left the ones with new small fruit on (didn't have the heart to remove those yet).

I like both lemons, the roughskin is fine for general cooking, but can also be eaten as is if you like eating sour things (I do). The grafted smoothskin lemon is very nice for

preserving etc,. I would like to keep both, but now it seems that the one is killing the other.

Can I keep both, pruning the roughie more, and removing the smooth one's lemons for now in order to recover, or should the rootstock branches be removed completely for the other one to recover? Will the tree go into shock if I cut off all the rootstock branches? (at the moment there's about 1/2 of each).

Any advice will be appreciated. It is now early summer here (RSA).

thank you

Comments (9)