SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

bought my first one - have questions!

sunnysideuphill
12 years ago

I went into Agway for cat litter - and there was a huge flat trolley full of Meyer lemons. They were from Texas, can't remember the name of grower, in 1 gallon pots, about 3' tall, very lushly green, priced at $29.99 ON SALE for $10!!!How could I not get one? The one I picked out has loads of buds, and one teeny tiny little lemon the size of a piece of cooked orzo pasta. So here are my newbie questions:

Fertilizer:

The plant man at Agway said fertilize with someone with a "low first number".

I found something for succulents 2-8-8, and since my other houseplants include two Christmas Cactus and a huge Jade, I figured it was worth investing in a bottle.

I have not fertilized it yet, just have been keeping soil moist. Is weak fertilizer every time I water the best way, or is is better to use plain water, with a fertilizer dose every few weeks?

Environment:

I live in southwest NH, this is definitely a houseplant. I may move it outside for the summer, on a sheltered sunny deck. My major heat is a woodstove, the oil heat only kicks on if I am not home and it gets down to 60. I have two humidifiers, one on the stove and one near the piano - usual household humidity in the worse part of the winter is mid 40's.I put the pot on a layer of pebbles in a dish near an east window, on a plant stand well away from the baseboard hot water heat, with water just below the surface of the pebbles. When the Christmas tree is gone, I will move it to a (much bigger) west window, without any heat unit close to it.

Fruit and flower:

Is it likely to hold onto that little lemon? If so, how long does it take to mature?

Is it likely to hold onto those blossom buds? Do I need to do the paint brush/fertilization thing or are the flowers self-fertile?

Education:

Can you recommend a good book for citrus novices?

Thank you all!

Comments (5)