SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dachre

How sturdy are tangerines?

9 years ago

Years ago, I sprouted two seeds I ripped outta a storebought tangerine (or some other visually similar small, orange-colored citrus fruit typically marketed as a tangerine). I grew them in Solo cups until they outgrew those and I upgraded to actual containers, and this process continued until they wound up in the pots they're in now: eighteen inch roughly cubic "tree pots" (or so the local market advertised them).

I move the trees indoors when the weather gets cold and stick them in front of a sunny window until things heat up outside again. I live in Northern West Virginia, zone 6a, and I'm assuming that it gets /entirely/ too cold outside during the Winter months to leave them out, especially since they're in relatively small containers, but if I'm wrong on that please let me know. Heh.

The main question I have is about pruning them. A friend of mine is a landscaper/greenhouser, and after taking a look at them, he said that the trees were in horrible need of pruning. Something about bunched up and downwards facing branches. So I took the pruning shears to them and removed roughly ninety percent of everything that wasn't trunk, which is what I'd do to any deciduous fruit tree native to this latitude that needed a good pruning, but, looking at them now, I'm wondering if I didn't take too much off. Are tangerines more sensitive to that kind of thing? Wondering whether or not they'll come back now that I've hacked off all of their greenery. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company