SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

More Butterfly and Summer Flower Photos

Annie
14 years ago

We FINALLY got some rain and it cooled down 20 degrees yesterday. It is still cooler today but has warmed up a bit from yesterday. I am so thankful.

We may get more rain - the flies are driving me nuts and they do that when it is going to rain. I'll deal with it. Just send more rain!

I took these pictures yesterday and the day before.

This butterfly is either a Thoas Swallowtail or a Giant Swallowtail. They are similar in appearance.

If you know, please tell me.

Isn't she a beauty?

I think she may be a Giant Swallowtail.

Back View showing black color with the square yellow dots

{{gwi:625550}}

Side view showing underside colors and yellow dots on her tail

{{gwi:625552}}

You can see she has the yellow spot on her tail, so I think that would indicate she is a Giant Swallowtail, but the back pattern looks more like a Thoas.

I checked online at 'Butterflies and Moths of North America' (http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org), which is an awesome website for finding almost anything you want to know about them,. including locations for finding them shown on maps. I love this site.

For Giant Swallowtails they state:

Identification: Forewing with diagonal band of yellow spots. Tails are edged with black and filled with yellow.

For Thoas Swallowtails they state:

Identification: Upperside of forewing has diagonal yellow band of square spots in a neat row.

Both species are found in Oklahoma.

When I spotted her, I RAN into the house and grabbed my camera. She was not camera shy, so I got lots of pictures of her. Cool.

Also, I spotted the first Viceroy Butterfly to appear this summer:

{{gwi:625554}}

At first, I thought it was a Monarch, but then I saw one of the tell-tale indicators - the Viceroy has a black line across the bottom of both hind wings. There are other indicators, but this is the easiest one to spot right away.

Hope you enjoy the butterfly and flowers pictures.

Thanks for looking.

~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos I uploaded last night

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!