SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Yesterday's Adventures with a Copperhead and Pesky Raccoon

Annie
14 years ago

Yesterday I saw a big copperhead next the wall of the greenhouse. It was very brightly colored, so it must have just shed its skin. Beautiful but deadly. I quickly shut the greenhouse door and went inside to get my rifle. I hate to kill anything, but I cannot have poisonous snakes around my house and in my gardens. He is not doubt after my sweet little Leopard frogs. The snake disappeared, so she must have a hole there somewhere down into her den. This place used to be called Copperhead Hill. They den down in the ground between the layers of that red metamorphic rock, what the locals call Iron Rock. It is a perfect place for snakes. Gads. I kept a watchful eye the rest of the day, but did not see her again.

While out there watering, I let the "girls" out to run and peck for bugs. I left the run door open so they could go in to lay their eggs. A raccoon sneaked in their pen, after the kitchen goodies I toss in there for them and I chased him off. He was back in a flash and got after one of the hens, so I got my gun, figuring I would pepper his butt and maybe he would get the message. I banged loudly on the metal wall surrounding the outside of the run and he ran like the devil was after him.

An hour later and he/she was back. Darn. So I got my gun again, and it got up on top of the henhouse in the cover of the plum tree that grows over it. I shot up there at it but missed. It moved back into the tree. SO I went inside and let the dogs out. They found the scent fast and I took another shot up into the plum tree, and it took off the other side and hightailed it up into the the Little Wood behind the back yard. The dogs pursued and chased him off or up a tree. We hung around out there for a bit and I listened. Shep caught its scent again and ran into the brush, but finding nothing came out. Never heard another peep, so I took the boys back into the house where it was cool, bragging them up all the way. They were very pleased with themselves for having done such a good job, and danced around me all the way back to the house. My good boys!

Later that evening, that persistent raccoon came back into the yard again, but this time to the patio looking for cat food. I fired at it and it took off. I don't know if I hit it or not, but it was close enough. Coons will kill my hens and steal the eggs. They can easily kill cats and even dogs if they get the notion.

What a day!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery