SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadey_gw

Help for my old man Hemlock

15 years ago

I have a very old, very skinny hemlock on the west side of my house in the canopy of a much older oak (estimated about 200 years by a renown arborist).

Really, the hemlock is a skinny, freaky looking old man but I cannot imagine my yard without him ... I'd like to preserve this ancient tree and avoid waiting for new things to grow in it's stead.

An arborist who recently visited said it does not have the wooly A. (???) bug and does not appear to have any particular disease -- he's just really old and skinny. He recommended taking it down and replacing with 2 other conifers (probably to avoid the wooly thing in the future).

So, having thought about this for several years but probably still being impulsive about it over the weekend, I removed as much of the dead wood as I could reasonably do without risking my own life (extension ladder involved -- I only fell once).. I pruned back all of those 80 % dead limbs to newish green growth, I hollytoned, composted (home grown), and mulched the daylights out of it, and today we have a nice rain.

Did I do a bad thing????? I am just staring out the window waiting for that new green to appear and the tree to fill in. Do I have any chance at all of reviving this old man, or should I just give in to imminent death? Could I have shocked the system?

I should have done this 5 years ago. Is there any hope, really?

Shadey

Comments (3)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company