SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

New to Citrus, Start From Seed or Buy Grown?

Hello everyone,

I have many house plants but no trees. I want to start to grow a blood orange tree but have heard a couple of things about them. Please correct me if I am wrong. I read that because they are varigated, one cannot grow a blood orange tree from the seeds in the actual blood orange. I also was told to put the seeds in water over night before I plant them, however this might have been because I was at work eating a blood orange and thought "hey! Why not grow one!". Not as easy as I thought.

I also want to grow an avacado tree (I know, this is the citrus forum) and this I know I can do from seed. Yay! :) But as far as citrus trees are concerned, should I grow one from seed or buy a established one from the store?

What would be a good type of citrus to grow indoors, in Texas? Would it stay in all year round? During the Spring, Summer and Fall I could keep the tree outside unless the heat in the summer would be too much. You know Texas weather, its Summer, Summer, Summer and then a breif mixture between fall and winter haha! :D Though this season we've been getting an oddly high amount of rain, my plants are in humidity heaven :P

Any help on easy growing citurs trees or trees in general to keep indoors would be great! As I only know of the ficus tree to be indoors. Though, Mike has explained that he grows citrus easily indoors, lets hope I'm as lucky as he.

Thanks for the help!

Ashley

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!