SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinarb_gw

(

tinarb
18 years ago

I posted a week or so ago about something besides slugs (the bane of my PNW existence, until now) going at my baby dahlias. Then two days ago my fiance discovered a little squirrel nibbling on a dahlia, which isn't all that big to begin with. A squirrel!!!! Then this morning I saw it had munched a new shoot and done some disbudding for me. I believe it or the evil bluejay that lvoes our deck may have also made off with three of my four snail vine seedlings... grrrr. Anyway, we are going to try to battle the little squirrel and am going to try some netting first.

My other question is what about ground hot peppers? I hvae some dried Thai dragon chiles that are very, very hot. I want to grind them up and sprinkle the powder around the plants. Will this harm the dahlias?

Comments (4)

• jroot
    18 years ago

No, but don't rub your eyes until you've washed your hands. If it is irritating to humans, it will be similar for rodents. Hmmmmmmm! Does that cause one to think?

• DapperDahlia
    18 years ago

I dont know if this would work but my mom always uses dried blood to deter rabbits and deer. Because they are herbivors they dont like the taste/smell of blood. And it have nitrogen and it purks up the plants in the garden. :o)

• anna_lisa
    18 years ago

Hi maybe that what knock over my dahlia that was about 10 in high. I know those guys are really crazy they ate a hole in my plastic pot i could tell by the teeth marks it was a squirrels. Thank god it was only the rim of the pot but the hole was about 2 in dim. So now we not only have bug problem we have squirrels problem bye for now Anna lisa

• plantlady2
    18 years ago

Watch out for the blood meal- all the dogs in the county came & dug in my garden & knocked over my pots when I tried it years ago. The hot pepper worked well to keep dogs, cats & rabbits out of our borders.