SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Are spidrmites resistant to humidity now?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

Here is why I ask.....

Look at what this poor person is dealing with with extra humidity....

Posted by greenhouzer Zone 6 TN (My Page) on ue, Oct 7, 08 at 13:25

"I have 3 heaters in the Rion. Two are on thermostats and one is only for really bitter cold nights and as a backup if one of the others die. Even with 3 running and the 6 fans... the humidity remained high. On warm days I would open the doors and even that didn't help much. I never got rid of the spider mites. They spread like wildfire once the plants went outdoors and wiped out most of my peppers and tomatoes and did severe damage to the eggplants. We did managed to freeze some peppers and get enough tomatoes to can for winter. I would say 95% of the peppers were wiped out and the tomato crop reduced by at least 50%. All the squash were killed by both whitefly and the mites. This past summer was a disaster'.

AND LOOK!!!

Posted by greenhouzer TN zone 6 (My Page) on

Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 8:49

Rose: Last winter the humdity in my Rion was way out of control and several plants became diseased. Ventiliation wasn't great because we can't cafford to heat the great outdoors. This winter our electic is going up 20% so I wont be using the smaller HFGH until spring. I'll use it as a seedling/cutting GH. I gave away many plants on Freecycle this summer. I got rid of those especially liked by spider mites. This fall I already have a white-fly invasion in the GH. :-(

HERE'S MY QUESTION

Everyone says that spidermites hate humidity right???

Then HOW can this poor person be having so many of them if the humidity is so high. She should be mite free right? I am begining to think that spidermites have become resistant to humidty and now the only thing that can rid them is cold temps...Like freezing ones!!!

SNOW......I had high humidity in room all winter, and yet I was loaded with pests!

So whether or not we have humidity or not based on your experience, we are still going to get them.....:-(

I am gegining to think misting does nothing for them either. If anything it only gives them a drink and a bath and they sit out and tan under my grow lights.

I hope keeping my room cold will be the anwers this winter along with toni's insect spray!! lol

Comments (10)