SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

seedlings all planted.........hip hip hooray!

15 years ago

200 Norway spruce, 200 hybrid larch, and 100 ponderosa pine are now resting comfortably.......in the ground. One of my sons and I finished up the job Fri. and yesterday. The beauty part is, I took a gamble on "dry planting" them, and it payed off with heavy rain Fri. night and more rain since, such that we did not have to water in any of the last 300 or so. What a relief, as that is the hardest, most excruciating part of the whole operation. This last bunch, the 300 odd plants, have not been mulched yet either, but that will be a pleasure, esp. once I get my big-wheeled cart.

I would like to offer my enthusiastic pleasure in working with stock from www.itascagreenhouse.com. These trees were grown and delivered in a styro-tray, each little cell being roughly 1 inch by six inches deep. Seedlings are simply grasped at their bases, and pulled out to plant. I found this stock to be of very high quality, and very feasible to work with. The NS in particular, were of great quality. The roots, such as they are, are growing straight downward in these cells, which at this early stage of the game, is beneficial, as Spruceman has pointed out. Though inconsequential as far as their ultimate rooting habit, it is still desirable to have them go "deep" at this early stage, to stay in moister soil.

Anybody who has followed my posts before knows I love rain, and rain and more rain is what we're getting these last few days.

I still have some white cedar......Thuja occidentalis.....to dig out of the woods in a few locations and move up to the main planting area, but this too will be a pleasurable bit of work now that the main slug of plants are in.

+oM

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations