SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverratspaz

who are we all besides dl freaks?

riverratspaz
18 years ago

Well besides this strange attraction i have for DLs I'm also a 26 year old College grad from Nicholls State University here in Louisiana. Been working in my field for about a year now... Graphic Designer. I worked for HD for four years and if any of you need help with them i can give you some insight to their operations and the vendors, who you can deal with and who not to!

Have a major in Graphics and a minor in Ceramics, hand building and some throwing.... Bachelor of Arts degree.

Started with plants ever since i can remember, love being outside, and growing things. Friends and family have come to think im a complete freak because of this? THEY ARE THE FREAKS i have decided!! I think its human nature myself, i feel like we all have this agrerian need to connect with nature?

Well after a couple failed attempts at relationships, some real B@#%&s if you know what i mean, im single and on the market!!! LOL

So thats about enough out of me, till i know you all better.

Thanks for listening

Gerard

Comments (73)

• riverratspaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looking into the GH too, im tired of this @#%^@$%& window box crap!!!

Gerard

• rsts
    18 years ago

On a serious note, a greenhouse is a joy. I noticed my first scapes today (3 scapes on 2 daylilies). I was hoping to get earlier scapes/blooms, but didn't happen. I am still trying to learn greenhouse growing. Last growing season I turned up the heat around the first of January and had scapes Feb 8. This year I turned up the heat around the first of December and had first scapes today.

My gh is 10 x 20 outside diameter (little less than 9 x 19 inside). I have a 250 gal propane tank and hope to use no more than one tank this growing season. So far, I have used about 125 to 150 gallons. Once the weather gets warm, heat can be a problem (think - a closed car on a sunny day). The temps probably run 30+ degrees hotter in a gh than outside, on a sunny day. In addition to an exhaust fan and shade cloth, I have water pads in mine.

As I said in the beginning, it is a joy. One of the scapes is from a seedling from seeds collected last year. From pollen dabbing to bloom in less than a year.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: seeds for friends who lost gardens to freak hail storm

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello I can send 5 colour swiss chard , speedy mix lettuce, radish and coriander. If you want cherry tomatoes I have lots of seeds. You can squeeze in a harvest. send me your address.If you want flowers I have lots of calendula and morning glories. There is always a rainbow somewhere Susan
    ...See More

Who are we all besides dl freaks?

Q

Comments (22)
    Hello, my name is David Burris. Other than our daylily nursery, here are some other things about me.. I used to fish on the B.A.S.S., and Red Man Tournament trail(Now FLW)years ago. I'm an avid bowhunter,sportsman, and conservationist. I have 3 boys...20,15,14. I work full time at our hospital as well. I have a cousin who drives Nascar (Mark Martin). Mark and my Dad are actually first cousins, so I'm a second cousin. I'm developing a real passion for our Bluebirds here on our farm and we annually have an average of around 40-50 nesting pairs that raise many MANY babies. I use to draw and paint some when I was younger and I'm kind of rediscovering that in the last few years...One thing I have noticed is that hardly anyone does daylily portraits, other than a few I have seen that are copied from photos...So that is an interest to capture daylilies and wildlife(especially Bluebirds) together on paper and canvas. We have Sicillian minature donkeys, pygmy and angora goats, many different exotic chickens and Mango our cat, in which my intro H. "Mango Kitty" was named for. We are going to add 3 acres or so of Blueberries,Blackberries,Raspberries,Currants, Gooseberries,Strawberries and some other oddball fruits and berries over the next few years. I have an orchard of cherries,apples,pears,peaches, and plums. We are currently adding a new pond as well. I'm 42 years old but hope to retire from my "regular" job in a few more years and pursue gardening more and more. Well that's it for my condensed life story..LOL.
    ...See More

My all time favorite DL and other pics :)

Q

Comments (13)
    shive - For all but the last picture I was using Nikkor (Nikon) 50mm f/1.8G fixed (normal) lens. It's super fast at 1.8 and I get great results from it. However, on my cropped sensor body it's a 75mm really and I have to be at minimum 3 feet from my subject to get a focused shot. I'm learning to step back and crop afterwards. The last pic was with a lens I'm in the process of returning. Yes, it's a great pic but it took me 20 pics to get that one and the other 19 were soft (not sharp). It's the Nikon 55-300mm. I'm exchanging it for a 55-200mm because it's a better, cheaper lens and I don't really need such a long zoom anyway. Coming in the mail tomorrow is a Sigma 17-70mm lens (Macro but not a true macro). It's heavy, but rated excellent and much cheaper than Nikon brand. This will probably be on my camera the most. On my wish list is the Nikon 85mm f/2.8 macro and the 35mm f/1.8 which I should have gotten instead of the 50mm but I'm not exchanging it because I like it too much and it's not expensive so I'll be happy to one day have both. See what happens when you ask a simple question? Sorry, can you tell I've been researching lenses non-stop for the past month? :) I'm going looney.
    ...See More

We just put a stop to ALL work being done. Did we overreact?

Q

Comments (31)
    Hi guys! No, I didn't finally jump over the ledge :) I just took a small hiatus. I boarded "charliedawg" in a kennel, packed the suitcases, got the family in the car and got the heck out of here. WHEW! If I ever build a house again (which I highly doubt I will) I will definitely put mental health vacation $$$$ in my budget. LOL Tragusa, I'm not glad that you had all of the problems but I'm glad to know that it worked out for you so I know it will all be ok fo me too. GC will be back tomorrow. She has ALWAYS made things perfect so I'm not sure why I doubted it now. I think I just felt out of control because she is gone. I'm not the type that needs to be in control of such a big project, I guess ya'll figured that out by now.
    ...See More
  • shellyga
    18 years ago

Thanks Butterflychaser.. he was definately sent from heaven -- TOTAL OPPOSITE from the ex.. LOL.
    We just completed a greenhouse -- Bruce built it 12 x 20 and right now it looks like I have tons of room.. I am waiting to see just how plants perform and have already chased out my first pests-- The December Ant Invasion. It will be a learning process for me and I'm looking foward to a new adventure. Congrats on the seedling scapes Royce.. we shall expect pictures of course.
    Shelly

• highjack
    18 years ago

I am soooo envious of the greenhouses and I won't rule out a gh in my future, but I doubt it. There is a world of difference temp wise, between you GA folk and my zone 6a. The cost of heating it would be double or triple what you have Royce and I'm guessing triple.

We have to heat the building so it doesn't deteriorate inside and actually running a lot of lights in it, helps keep the gas bill down. The temps have to get into the low single digits before the furnace will run during the day. Now the temps inside aren't all warm and toasty but stay in the 60-65 degree range during the winter. Seeds might be a little slower to germinate so I use a heat mat for some things but even the tropical bonsai are growing like crazy.

Brooke - green with envy

• rsts
    18 years ago

Brooke, since your income is more than 3 times mine, it ought to even out. lol

Shelly, I occasionally have ants, but the tremendous greenhouse pest for me is spider mites, especially when temps in the gh hit high 80s to 90s. I finished mine in early spring and the first year just moved a few potted daylilies in for a trial run/learning experience. Whut I learned was, that in about May, spider mites become a huge pest. Hope you enjoy yours and am sure you will.

Royce

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm Sharon. Been married for 23 years, 2 teenagers and 2 cats.

I grew up on 10 acreas with Mom, Dad and 5 brothers and one sister. The 5 boys were born first and then came my sister and I. Yep, I was the baby. Poor Mom, she had 7 kids in 10 years, tons of trouble with 5 boys all at once.

Dad worked 2 jobs, barely knew him except for when he slept on the couch. Dad always had HUGE vegetable gardens - total about 3 acreas. We also had rabbits, ducks, geese, chickens,dogs and cats. Since he was hardly home, the work fell to the rest of us.

Hubby lived down the street, and we have been sweethearts since out teens. Both from 'income deprived' homes.

We worked hard, both got degrees from college. He continued (with my help) getting a Masters. I have a Bachelors of Science in Medical Technology.

We live in suburbia with a regular backyard, so I have to be choosy about my Daylilies.

I always have had a small vegetable garden while the kids were growing up. I grew whatever the kids wanted ... pumkins - no problem! It didn't matter to me that the vines covered half the backyard ... I just mowed around them. LOL

4 years ago I decided it was time to do what I wanted and I started a few small flower gardens. They keep getting bigger each year. 3 years ago I found daylilies and they seem to be the largest part of my gardens.

Hubby puts up with my gardening and my few animals.
    Dad thinks I'm crazy for growing Daylilies - he hates them.
    Mom - wonderful lady who died 2002, backed me in whatever I did. She even smiled at the daylily flowers.

Retirement is a long way off for us. No early retirement here. We have to put kids through college yet. Ahhh, well, I know people who don't want to retire because they love what they do. I don't 'love' what I do, but I don't hate it. The people are great, I think I will stay for another 15 years. :o)

sharon

• pattyp2257
    18 years ago

hi my name is patty i live in northeast La. and i have just got back into daylilys i went to work eight years ago and started raising my grandson when he was born now he just turned 6 and i can start getting in the yard again i have lost lots of daylilys but starting over just started to learn how to germinate the seeds it was so much fun they made through the winter litte but at least the frost did not kill them i have become a daylily freak again and now it is a obsection i work four days a week taking care of a boy that was shot in the head at a redlight in Florida and he is a total mircle from GOD he is doing very well and it is really good for me i love reading all your stories and i hope we can become friends i love talking to everyone about flowers and lots about daylilies not lots of people to talk with here well have a good day patty

• highjack
    18 years ago

Hi Patty - introduce yourself to Gerard - I know LA is a big state but who knows, you might actually be neighbors. He too is addicted to daylilies.

Brooke

• mizellie
    17 years ago

I'm Ellie. Surprised, huh? I am 66 years old. Married twice, the first time for 10 years and this one for 40 years. I married at 16 and have 8 children ( of which there is a set of twin girls.) I have 20 grandchildren and 9 great grandchildren. None of these are in the state of Alabama.
    I retired from Sola Electric, as an Inventory Analyst. Not much in retirement monies though so had to work at that dreadful WM to earn dl money. My dh is retired and gets a pretty good retirement check from Sara Lee.
    My children all have fantastic jobs that pays very well. My youngest was in the navy, cryptology tech, stationed at the Pentagon. All the children except 2 were in all branches of the military. I have 1 son-in-law who will retire in 1 and 1/2 years from the Army. He is currently in Iraq.

I have very little college..back in the old days,( hehehe!! ) we were lucky to get through high school. The little college I have came when my youngest started school.

My mother was murdered when I was 12 years old, by a brother in law, my dad was shot as was I. I had a tramatic life until I was about 25 years then when I became a christian. God has been very gracious to me in giving me my dh..A very good man.

We live on 8 acres of land in a 1400 square ft house. We love it here on lookout mtn.

I really have enjoyed reading about your lives and hope I didn't bore you too tears.
    I will be leaving for the airport in about 1 hour to meet my sister who is going with me to raid numama's.

OOPS!!! I really must tell you that I have 5 living sisters, 1 deceased brother and was raised in a 3 room house without running water or electricity. I also have eaten out of garbage cans so have sympathy with those who are hungry.....Ellie

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Ellie, you're a hard one to follow! And I think I'm going to thank the Lord for my (comparatively) uneventful, (often) happy childhood. . . . (I grew up near Cleveland, Ohio - Solon - then moved with my parents and three younger sisters to Corning, NY, in 1985. I've been a Christian since I was sixteen, but I wasn't really serious about my faith until my early 20s. Now I can sincerely say that the Lord is truly great and loving, and has been kind to me.)

I'm 37, married for almost 11 years to a great man, with two young kids (a daughter, 4, and a son, 7 1/2). Our son has Asperger's Syndrome (which is usually called a form of high functioning autism - he's bright, but with "quirks" and social difficulties).

I teach our kids at home, but before "adventures in parenthood" started I was a Special Education teacher here in NY. I also have many years of experience working with disabled adults in group-home and sheltered workshop settings. I got a nice useless degree (BA in History, NOT certified to teach), and after a really rotten job at a convenience store I decided to try something different. "Different" didn't begin to cover working with adults with serious special needs, but it was FAR FAR more rewarding (read: gratifying, because the pay stank) than being hassled by drunk people on the night shift in a convenience mart. After a few years of being poorly paid to do something I mostly enjoyed and had a knack for, I decided to go back and get a proper M. Ed. and get paid better to do what I liked.

So, back to school, meet future husband, finish degree, get married, teach for three years, parenthood ensues. We bought a house a couple years before our son was born, and the house had NO landscaping AT ALL. A real blank slate, and a little bit of a fixer upper (more of a painter-upper - the interior of the house was mostly light blue, with accents of mushroom, aqua, and pepto-bismol pink). But it's a nice big lot for being down in town, beside a deep ravine so we have the illusion of privacy and more land than we actually own. I've always loved plants, but never had a garden of my own until this house, and it's been wonderful to be creative and active and nurturing all at the same time. (Like parenthood, I suppose, only the daylilies don't talk back, the peonies don't make a mess as soon as I leave the room, and the irises don't throw tantrums - which reminds me that I want to get the Siberian iris 'Temper Tantrum' someday, to plant in honor of my kids. . . .)

I used to tell my husband that gardening was cheaper than therapy, but he stopped believing that a long time ago. However, I have to say that gardening plus prozac is a good thing.

My garden loves are TB historic irises, peonies, lilacs, daffodils, and most recently daylilies (with a possible future trip into hostas). I garden organically, and like to build with stone. Every year I lose more lawn and add more flowers. My kids are (thankfully) well trained to KEEP OUT of the flowers and DON'T step on growing things, and ASK before you pick anything. Now they want a puppy (to add to our menagerie of two cats, two parakeets, two goldfish, and a snail).

Well, THIS short note went longer than I meant it to! I have to go - but it's been nice to read about everyone here, in a "getting to know you" kind of way.

Laurel

• gatransplant
    17 years ago

Ellie, what a powerful testamony to the ability to overcome any and all obstacles! You should be an inspiration to us all.

I've been feeling sorry for myself lately because I got a bunch of daylilies this spring with big plans for hybridizing, only to have school suddenly turn into hard work that takes up a whole lot of time. I think I need a serious Attitude Adjustment session to remind myself of all the things I have to be grateful for.... One of them is this forum, because even when I don't take the time to write, keeping up with what everyone else is doing gives me ideas to try (eventually), reduces stress, and is just plain fun! Thanks to each and every one of you!

Lelia

• rsts
    17 years ago

I think this is an interesting post and thought I would just give it a bump, to keep it from falling off the forum.

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Hello daylily friends, better late than never! I'm Marilyn, 52 years old, born and raised in a single parent household in Southern Connecticut. I have been happily married to my husband for almost twenty years and have two great children. My son is sixteen and will be a junior in high school. My daughter is fifteen and will be a Sophmore in high school next September. I'm currently working on my degree, it's taking me forever because I can only take two courses per semester. I'm at the two year mark but just can't seem to master math. My husband's job brought us to Southern Maine five years ago. It was the best move for our family, we just love living here. We own two elderly horses, three rabbits and two dogs. I'm a devout Roman Catholic and thank God each and every day for my wonderful husband and children and his loving grace to get through the tough times. I never dabbled in a hobby before but I'm having a great time with my daylilies and all of you on the forum. May the good Lord bless each and every one of you.
    Marilyn

• gardengirl_17
    17 years ago

Hi everyone! My name is Kim and I am 38 years old. I've been married almost 6 years to the most wonderful DH ever! We were college sweethearts and then he broke up with me. We went our separate ways, then met up again and were just friends (honestly) for about 4 years and then we realized we were in LOVE. Kinda like the movie When Harry Met Sally. And I'm sorry I know it's nauseating! :) LOL

I am an attorney and work in-house for a large corporation doing employment law. I counsel the HR department about employee issues, defend the company against lawsuits, etc. I got my undergraduate degree in Russian from Ohio State but just as I was graduating the Soviet Union fell apart and my dreams of working in some really exciting Intelligence job ended. But everything worked out for the best. I really enjoy my job even though it doesn't leave as much time as I would like for gardening.

We live in a suburb on a pretty typical sized corner lot. I have about 200 different DLs and lots of other perennials and conifers. I love plants and I'm trying to balance my DL obsession with keeping a nice mix of other things. Eventually I guess I'll have to rotate out some daylilies in favor of new ones because of my limited space.

We have a German Shepherd and a cat. My DH has a daughter (20) from a prior marriage who lives in WI. We have no children and aren't planning to. My DH is several years older than me and the idea of putting a kid thru college at retirement time does not sound like fun! Our families have been pressuring us to have children but I don't feel like we're missing anything. We have a wonderful life together. If my biological clock starts to tick (it hasn't made more than a small peep), then we would consider adoption.

Well, that's enough about me. Next!

• highjack
    17 years ago

Welcome Kim and jump right in. We talk about almost everything here and share pics of other things beside daylilies. It is truly a diverse group.

Brooke

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Small world, Kim! I used to do lawyer recruitment for a big firm in Columbus -- even managed to recruit my hubby while working there.

Welcome to the GW.

Chris

• gardengirl_17
    17 years ago

Thanks Brooke and Chris for the welcome That's pretty neat that you recruited the man you married Chris!

Feel free to check out pictures of my garden. I feel like it's going through major upheaval right now. I got a bee in my bonnet so to speak and cut down some arborvitae and dug up a large patch of Knautia that was taking up too much space. I have a feeling I am creating more space for daylilies! ;) I have some vacation time next week and I'm hoping to get the garden tidied up a bit. It's pretty ratty looking in those sections right now.

It's nice to meet everyone here on the GW! I've been spending more time lurking and posting in the forum. See you around!
    Kim

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Let me say hello and welcome, too, Kim. What beautiful pictures!

We're glad you've decided to jump in with us. It's a really nice group.

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

Probably no one is reading this thread anymore, so I think it may be safe to tell a little about myself.

I'm 50 years old, parent of 3 grown children and one grandchild. I was a single parent most of my parenting years so that experience made me tough as nails. After my crazy ex left and I raised the kids, I was single for many years and really liked the single life. So of course when I wasn't paying attention, a wonderful man entered my life and we got married 9 years ago and have been very happy.

I have a master's in botany, but do not be misled, the botanists have done what they do best and changed the names of nearly everything since I graduated. I have not kept up with much except orchids, ferns, lilies and a few other plants. After I got my degree, I realized I was more interested in working with plants than naming and counting them. I should have become a horticulturist. Daylilies are relatively new to me.

I also have a master's in Special Education with a specialty in vision and that field is where I've spent most of my life's work. After 25 years of teaching, I changed careers but am still in the same field. I'm now a research scientist doing research in the field of blindness. I also do development of products for blind and visually-impaired children such as computer games, storybooks, textbooks, toys, etc. Right now I'm working on a special world atlas for students with impaired vision. I've written numerous books and curricula on educating children with visual impairments and I find it very satisfying work.

Gardening has been important to me since I was five years old. I have a very clear memory of sprouting some radish seeds in some moist cotton balls. My brother threw them away and I was absolutely heartbroken. I'd had visions of plump, red radishes piled high on the dining room table. Shortly thereafter, when my parents moved us from Arizona to Alaska and I got a chance to grow a little garden in the richest soil in the world, where the sun shines all night long. I knew when I harvested my first lettuce there, I'd be a gardener for ever.

Now it's about 40 something years later. Where once I had all the farmland I needed, I now have a city lot. Still, I find plenty of nooks and crannies to plant my ferns, hostas, japanese maples, and dwarf conifers. The front of my home faces south, so that is where I plant daylilies. I've taken all of my front yard, and have annexed the grassy area beyond the sidewalk that belongs to the city and am filling it up with daylilies and roses. (Roses to keep kids from running through it.) It's not much land, but will have to do. I'm getting old so can't take care of much more than that anyway.

Other hobbies are silversmithing, rug hooking, swimming and writing.

It's very good to get you all. Thanks for telling about yourselves. You all sound like good people.

Lainey

• highjack
    17 years ago

Here I go braggin' again - Lainey this is a bunch of great people!

Brooke

• terri_mae_55
    17 years ago

Lainey I'm still reading this thread. I just found it today. So nice to learn about all of you. I am 35 years old, married and a mom of a 13 year old son. My husband and I just celebrated our 14th anniversary. My life revolves around my family and gardening. For 17 years I waited on tables at various places. For the last 3 years I have been cleaning apartments. I know its not exciting but it has made it easier to spend the majority of my time with my family. Roses were my first passion then I found out daylilies come in more colors that the rainbow and it has been full speed since then. We have only been in our house since March and I can tell I will need more yard space than we have. Well I don't want to bore you so I'll go for now. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Terri

• mollyd
    17 years ago

I'm a baby boomer like others on this site. I've gotten to the point where I no longer want to talk about age (smile).
    I was married many years ago , after I had two sons my ex walked out. Raised my boys alone, got two college degrees (BA/MA in Anthropology), worked for the colleges till my health no longer premitted me to work. Spent 10 years house bound and slowly I've been getting back on my feet. A year ago out of the blue I met my Paul, we've moved in together and I've been happier than I've ever been in my whole life. My sons are now grown men with their own lives (one is married with 3 step-kids, the other just moved to Louisiana following his girlfriend) so the timing couldn't have been better. Paul and I both love plants. We live on 10 acres, mostly wooded with 3 dogs (one Malamute and two German Shorthairs) and a horse named Buck. We're going to try and turn that love of plants into a second income for us. So Paul goes off to work and I head into the garden to do my share.
    I can't think of any work I'd rather do since I feel closer to God in a garden than anywhere else.

Molly D

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

It's good to learn a little about some of the newest members of the Daylily forum. Thanks for sharing your lives with us, Lainey and Molly.
    Jan

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

We do check back here...especially when it gets bumped up!

Welcome, Lainey, Terri, and Molly! It's a fun forum and we get to talk about our favorite things without anyone yawning (that we can see...lol!)!

• daylilydayzed
    17 years ago

My name is Dawn. I started with daylilies when as a child , someone gave me a few fans of a orange-yellow no name daylily that I fell in love with then. Met my hubby at the gas station where I worked while I was in high school. We got married after I graduated from Navy Boot Camp and went to Pensacola where I spent the majority of the 4 years I was in. Came back to my home town and started a family when our oldest son was born. He was a tiny baby, weighed in at 3 lbs 7 1/2 ozs and was not a premature baby. He was born with 2 birth defects that required surgery to repair before he started school. He was also born with abnormally small kidneys that only worked at half the capacity of a normal kidney. He had to have a kidney transplant at the age of 23 and is doing well. He turned 30 in May. His sister was born 16 months after he was and she was the tallest of the kids until her younger brother reached his full height. She was an honor student in school and went into the Air Force. She married her husband on Pearl Harbour Day in 1996. In 2001 they divorced(hubby cheated on her many times) She is the primary parent of my oldest grandson. He will start first grade when school starts in a couple of weeks. His uncle is stationed onboard the U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt. He has been over seas many times, first strikes of the Iraq war came from his ship.He is the father of my second grandson, a little boy who turned 1 year old in June. He and his girlfriend and son will be moving to Key West FL in Nov.
    I work as a school crossing guard for the elementary school my kids went to. I started working as a crossing guard over ten years ago. It gives me most of the day off but has its drawbacks such as having to stand out in the brutal heat of Aug.
    My husband was burned on 17% of his body at work in 2004. It happened right after the 3rd hurricane of the summer that year. It tokk him a year to recover from the burns and still have the use of his hands. AS soon as he was able to go back to work, he found out that the plant he worked at would close its doors for good in Nov 0f 2005. Since then , his legs have gotten worse, so much so that he is getting SS disability.
    He now uses a cane to help him when he walks.

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Welcome Lainey, Terri and Molly to the friendliest forum around. We have lots of fun on this forum but a lot of serious stuff too.. Brooke said it well..There is a great bunch of people on here and we welcome you to our family...Ellie

• katladie
    17 years ago

I'm a former river rat, was raised on the Mississippi in a small town named Darrow, La. I now live in Livingston Parish, not far from the Amite River.So I guess I still am a river rat. I am 53 years old, love gardening, especially growing daylilies. Believe it or not at one time I did not care for them, never saw the big fascination, until I started researching them on the internet. When I saw all of the varieties and colors I went nuts. So now I AM fascinated with them. I work in retail, not very exciting but it buys the bacon so to speak and the daylilies. Nice to meet everyone.

Sharon

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Welcome Dawn and Sharon, you've come to the right forum and picked the best and healthiest addiction I can think of. Before long you will be bidding on the Lily Auction and posting all your lovelies on the forum. I've been posting for a little over a year and admire all the daylily friends I've met here!!!
    God Bless,
    Marilyn

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Hi Dawn,

Sorry to hear that your husband ended up on disabilty. I was afraid that might end up that way due to his hands instead of his legs. Are his leg problems related to the burns? Does he still have to wear the gloves?

Janet

• highjack
    17 years ago

Thought it was time to drag this thread back up since we have many new posters on the discussion side that need to intro themselves over here. Come on over and share yourselves with us - this is the fun side and we talk about our other interests besides daylilies.

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Just thought I would give this a bump, so it doesn't roll off.

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Grew up on smith lake in Walker co. Al. Curry high school.Parents had a little store and dad had a boat store.I went to college straight out of high school took 2 yrs then had to take the math classes and freaked out so I dropped out. When I was 23 married a guy who was 29 and thought he wanted to be married but liked to go missing on a run to the store for bread on fri. and not come back till sunday night but he always had the bread. lol Married to him 1 1\2 Then I moved to Macon Ga. at 25 because jobs just weren't good for someone with no college where I lived. Lived in Macon till I was 30 and married my 2nd husband at 29 yrs old. I look back he was more of a way out to quit struggling with life. We had nothing in common and just stayed married for almost 10 yrs Bought our own store but I was doing all the work while he played and did some work for my dad but the work he did required he go into bars so you know how that ended. While I was running my Dads bingo supply bus. and my store. Divorced him and swore off men then met my hubby now was trying to fix him up w\a girl at work long story short we have been married 5 years today and he is still the best & I should know. I found a man worth having a child with at 41 and she brings me so much happiness, also I am going to school for real estate It is something I have always wanted to do for 20 yrs and love it and I have a hubby who works hard so I dont have to struggle anymore. Bought our[ mine also] 1st house 5 years ago and love turning up the soil and something new starts growing that I do not think is a weed. The lady that lived here for 50 yrs was an avid gardener 2 greenhouse but only one was salvageable we are still working on it. Well thats all folks will be through school soon cant wait to do what I always wanted beside gardening but have got to make money.Got hooked on daylilies about 2yrs ago thanks to Jan I met at a garden swap we have in the fall and the spring, she gave me miss jessie and russian rhapsody been hooked ever since.
    Jill

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Hi Jill,
    It's good to learn a little bit about each other isn't it? Oops, sorry if I started something for you....but hey, you know, it was really always there, I just enabled it for you!!!! ;o)
    You should plan a trip to my place this bloom season. I'll bet I could send you home with some more dl's and help your addiction along a bit more!! LOL
    Happy Gardening Gal,
    Jan

• down2earth
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm 66 years old, married 25 years (we just celebrated by going to Russia) to the best guy I know. I am an accountant but have not worked since 1994. Hubby took early retirement and I quit working so we could travel. I enjoy travel probably more than anything and have been to 30 something (I'd have to figure it out) countries so far and have returned to a few of them several times. I also have seen most of our wonderful country. I have a son and a daughter and my husband has a daughter and a son and we have 9 grand children. Two seperate crops, 4 who are mostly grown and 5, ages 6 to 3. My son and dil teach English at a medical college in China (they are missionaries) and took three of the little ones with them. :-( We have 3 little dogs who are very much a part of our family; a Yorkie, a Papillion and a Chihuahua. I got sick in 2000 and had to stay home for awhile and I got the daylily bug and now have about 1,000 plants, mostly registered cultivars but quite a few that I hybridized. Now we schedule our travels around daylily season.

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Hi, im new to this forum this year, but have posted quite a bit. Saw this and had to read about all of you. Well, im 27 years old, I have two boys, one is 7 and the other just turned 2. I am a pediatric dental assistant, but haven't worked since my youngest son was born. Couldn't afford daycare, but who wants someone else to raise their kids if you don't have to work stay home and enjoy them right! Just got married to my high school sweetheart in Sept. 06.
    About time, 10 years and two kids later he fineally proposed last christmas eve! My husband is a Mason, and loves laying brick and block (which is a profession that most people don't like to do anymore) We just bought a double wide moble home and live in a park. Blah... I hate it. I would die to have acres of land. We live in Maryland close to Aberdeen proving ground, not far from the Susquahanna river. We are thinking about moving to North or South Carolina in a few years. Everything in MD, is getting overpriced, Gas, Electric, and now we are paying a 30% increase on our water bill too!
    I got into gardening because my bestfriend started giving me divisions of plants from her garden. Then I started buying things from nurseries. My first daylily was a stella! I didn't like the color though, but I ordered some dark ones like, night wings, nosferatu, Halloween cat, and persian ruby from woodside nursery last year. I was so impressed that I started checking out some other daylily sites and then I was hooked! When I became a stay at home mom I found myself at the Library two or three times a week checking out book after book about gardening. (they only had one on daylilies though.) Since I had all this spare time on my hands. I learned a lot, now my bestfriend comes to me with her questions instead of it being the other way around. Lets see, other than gardening my other passion is (please don't be grossed out) snakes! I have had quite a collection of pythons. Now im down to just two. My six year old ball python Mia, and my seven foot albino Burmese python Alize. (yes she's named after the liquor, that is my husbands favorite, the cognac that is.)
    I was a spoiled child growing up, I have three sisters, but they are much older than me and were moved out when I was little, I was a mistake, was born when my dad was 36. My dad by the way just retired from 36 years of full time active duty Military two years ago. He was a CW5. There was only like two of those in the state of Maryland when dad retired. My step mother has raised me since I was 3 and I consider her my mom, since my biological mom just packed up her stuff after my parents divorce and moved to San Diego CA, and leaving me all to my dad. Well thats about it, I won't bore you with anymore of my life story. Its nice to know more about the friends ive meet on this forum. I hope this thread continues... Jessica Kunkel

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Well, nice to meet you Jessica....it is fun to know a little about the friends we make on this forum, isn't it. Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself, and good luck with your gardening endeavors. :)
    Jan

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Hi Jessica -- thanks for introducing yourself. It sounds like you have the addiction BAD, and we love newcomers who share our vice. Post a picture of those pythons sometime, will ya?

Chris

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Oh, I will be posting lots of pic's once I can. I have to get a cord or something to hook my camera up to my computer. My dad told me that my memory card in my camera is to big for the USB port. Im tired of posting stolen pic's from other websites! But some of them are very nice photos. Shame on me, you know I just noticed that I posted the names of my snakes and not my kids! My oldest is Tyler, and the itty bitty one is Ryan. Im glad that you all have taken the time to read my long life story. Pretty boreing isn't it. Anyway, I guess it makes me seem more like a person instead of a computer screen!!

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Chris, Here's the pic you requested, Mia the smaller one is underneath Alize (the big yellow one) but I thought it was cute how they were laying!
    {{gwi:373863}}
    Can't post pics of those babies without posting ones of my real babies!
    My oldest son and our dog Buster
    {{gwi:630174}}
    And my little baby Ryan with a messy face!
    {{gwi:630176}}
    Aren't they cute! Fineally got that USB hook up can you tell? Well at least when my DL's bloom I can share now! Enjoy!

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Your boys are adorable Jessica, can't say the same about your snakes however...lol...I'm not much of a snake person. I'll stick to dogs and cats! :)
    I just checked out my Photobucket site to see exactly how to size a photo. If you click on the "edit" like just above each photo, the click on "resize" when the next page comes up you can choose "website email" for a nice loadable size. I tried it on one of mine and it worked. :)
    Jan

• indigofox
    16 years ago

It is so great to hear about everybody. I'm Leslie and I also live in KY. My husband and I moved here from VA to teach at the University of Kentucky. I teach communication disorders and my husband is the director of the Athletic Training program. In our spare time we foxhunt. We also raise draft/thoroughbred crosses on our farm in Mercer County.
    These are pictures of my horse Sherpa. She is a really fun horse and I love her lots!
    I have converted much of our yard into flower beds and am
    thinking of taking over some of the front hay field :)
    Love getting to know all of you!
    Leslie
    {{gwi:630177}}

{{gwi:630178}}

• highjack
    16 years ago

Howdy neighbor and welcome to the fun side. Should I also add GO BIG BLUE. I live about 3 miles cross country from the Hunt Club, do you ever go to their functions? Feel free to stop for a visit if possible, we are about 3 weeks to peak bloom.

Brooke

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

HI, thought I would introduce myself. I'm Maureen, 44 (will be 45 on Thursday :-) . I have a 12 yr old son Michael whom I live for, and my dog Lucky - a 3 yr old black lab who is my very best buddy in the world. I also have a crazy cat named Tiger and a russian tortoise named Spikes. I love gardening, roses, daylilys, plumeria, clematis and african violets. I'm going through a rough time in my life right now, my husband just told me 2 wks ago that he is not happy and left. He is getting on with his life so I guess eventually there will be a divorce. It broke my heart but with friends and family prayers and support I'm doing better today than I was 2 wks ago. If any of you pray, if you would pray for me and my son I would be so very grateful.

I work f/t for a Union and have been there for 10 years. It is strictly a financial thing---i'm not really a "career lady" - just need to pay the mortgage and have a home for me and my son Michael.

I come from a large family, have 4 sisters and 1 brother. Mom and Dad are divorced for 10 years now and live locally. Dad is remarried, Mom's single. I'm close with my Mom, she is a gardener too. We go for walks together, shop together and work out at the gym too.

I'll go see if I can find some pics to post so you can see me and my son and pets.

Nice to read about everyone here, look forward to getting friendly with you all.

Maureen
    p.s. I started with daylilys last year, and ended the season with about 80 named varieties. I've purchased another 15 from Maryott's this week and am sure when I get some money for my birthday next week I'll have more I want to order. I bought most of my daylilys from Flynn's daylily garden. Ida is a great lady and her daylilys are awesome. And I traded for some of my daylilys. This summer I will get to see most of them bloom -- can't wait.

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Maureen,
    Its nice to meet you, and Happy Birthday! I hope you get all the daylilies you've been wanting for your B-day! Sounds like you've got you hands full with your son, pets, career, DL's, and quality time with your mommy! Sorry to hear about your husband, ill pray for you, and your son. Its good though that you have your gardening to keep you busy! Daylilies alway seem to smile at you, and as long as you give them love they will always love you back! May life and your flowers blossom beautifully for you and your son! Happy gardening! - Jessica
    P.S. - post those pics would ya?!

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Hi Jessica, nice to meet ya! Thank you for the good wishes and prayers. I really appreciate that so very much.

Here's some pics.

Here's me and my son at the Bronx zoo:
    {{gwi:630180}}

Here's lucky
    {{gwi:630182}}

and a daylily, anyone know if this is Eye Yi YI? It's a noid and someone told me they think it might be Eye yi yi.

{{gwi:630183}}

• kydaylilylady
    16 years ago

Hi Leslie!

We're not too far from you either. We're in the edge of Shelby/Anderson County.

Janet

• startin_from_scratch
    16 years ago

So y'all wonder who we are eh?

Im Roger, 49 (but dont feel a day over 102) Married 30 years come September, 3 grown sons and only this year I have discovered gardening. When I was a teen, my dad had between an acre and 2 acres of vegetable gardens. My brother and I were forced labor. He was heavily into organics. Mom canned and froze everything that couldnt be given away. To this day, I still cannot eat a home canned green bean.

Anyways, I am a carpenter, woodturner/woodworker. Currently building banks in Chicago. We undertook a huge project last September by adding a parking lane the length of my driveway and garage, building an 80' retaining wall. Tearing out the garage floor, replacing the front door stoop, and adding a new sidewalk to the front door. Aside from that we have added a new deck of about 300 sqft on the back.

The new daylily bed runs the length of the driveway, sidewalk and across the front of the house. Also have a seperate brugmansia bed, and datura bed. I finally finished the last of the landscaping work this weekend. So now I can sit back and actually enjoy what I have been doing the last few months.

And now y'all have me pondering over another dl order for some fancier flowers. It surely has been a pleasure getting to know all of you on here. Ill stop yammerin on bout myself now.

If anyone gets into the chicago area, just give me a holler, id be glad to have guests!!

Roger
    South of Chicago

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Nice to meet you Roger.....sounds like you've been a busy man the past few months. My DH is a builder too, been at it about 35 years or so. He's a construction manager for Environmental Structures out of Hartland, WI.
    So, you're going to sit back and enjoy your garden....great...tell me how to find the time to do that, please!!!! :) Every time I sit down to enjoy mine, I see something that needs doing in it!!!! lol
    Well, anyway, just wanted to say hello and happy gardening.
    Jan

• drgulley
    15 years ago

I was searching for a daylily on the forum and came across this thread back from 06. I thought it was really interesting and thought I would bump it up. I enjoyed reading bios of all who posted and would love to know more about everyone else.

Jan, I thought it was very interesting to hear you have an adopted daughter. I was adopted myself when I was two days old. I was very fortunate and was adopted by two wonderful loving parents who unfortunately are no longer living. I miss them dearly.

Ellie, you have a huge family. I was sorry to read about your mother and father. That is very tragic.

Well, a little about me. I live in a small town between Austin and Dallas and have a boyfriend, cats, dogs and a koi pond. The dogs and cats are my kids (as well as the boyfriend) since I don't have any children. I finished my degree a little later than most but I finally got it. I work for a software company as an analyst and have lately been putting in a lot of hours. My company is owned by Warren Buffet and originally by Drayton McLane who is the owner of the Astros. Just a little trivia there. :O)

I starting collecting daylilies in 06. Originally, I had my daylilies in my front yard but the deer decided they looked pretty tasty so I lost several and had to start over and plant them in the backyard. I had no idea that I would become so addicted. The last count I was up to 143. I would have never thougt a few years ago that I would have so many. Of course, some people don't think that is too many. LOL...

Would love to know a little about all of you...

Dianne

• wishnforspring
    14 years ago

This post is old but...
    My name is Lisa. Im 45 years young,have a greenhouse,Married 2 times have 2 boys-20 and 22.Own 2 dogs 1 cat.I own my own house and want to start my own business soon a dig your own Daylily and Iris farm.
    I have a BF who is great to me and helps me weed,plant etc.My BF and I travel 4 hrs. 1 way to see each other. He just bought a house 5 minutes from mine.His dad has Parkinson's and he plans on moving his dad here when he gets the house done here to take care of him and keep him out of asst. living or a SNF. He has a big heart and treats me great-I guess we are two of a kind!!
    I have been a nurse for 15 yrs.I am currently working in a handmade specialized ceramic tile co. I do all the specialized pieces. I majored in art in school and I basically am my own boss at work.One of my best friends from school is my boss :)
    I attended college for 1 year for Horticulture and Landscaping-until I couldn't afford it any longer and had to get a FT job again.
    My passion is daylilies and I have over 200 named so far. There are some great traders here and very generous to boot.
    I have people comment about my flowers and gardens all the time. Strangly enough I have no clue where I get my love of gardening from!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES